Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Inception - Complete with spoilers!  (Read 1049 times)

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Inception - Complete with spoilers!
« on: July 27, 2010, 06:58:38 PM »

Since several people have already seen the movie, I though we could discuss it here with ruining anything for those who haven't.

I saw it Saturday night at the local IMAX at a sold out show. It was definitely worth the extra $1.95. I knew I had to pay attention, so I was on the edge of my seat several times. The first surprise was the first full dream - and that it was a dream within a dream. Ingenious! Yes, it borrowed from other films, but that didn't bother me.

I want to see it again, because there may be a clue in the scenes as to whether or not Cobb is wearing his wedding ring, which might help resolve the uncertainty at the end. The entire audience groaned at that point. Otherwise, it was a very well behaved crowd. I think I'm spoiled in Raleigh.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 07:00:34 PM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
Re: Inception - Complete with spoilers!
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 10:33:15 PM »

Two weeks in and people still clapped the end of the film when we saw it.

I sat there waiting for the blooper reel.

I was convinced the whole thing had something to do with the room full of old dudes hooked up to the dream machines

SUCH a well-made movie. The previews for it really were awful. They must've been foisted on Nolan by WB.
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 11:00:06 PM »

The previews (with the exception of the one time that I saw 4 billion of them in one night) were well done in my book. They didn't ruin anything for me and actually got my attention into saying "hmmm, what's THAT about? I might see that...." So I think that's a successful preview. It didn't give away the film but made me interested, which is all a trailer should be. I hate it when they give away the whole plot.

Anyhow, in my first viewing I thought the big issue at the end wasn't a big issue at all. I was entirely convinced that it was real. True, the top kept spinning, but hey, maybe it's a well designed top? In my 2nd viewing, my movie-mate asked about it, and that made me think about it for the first time. So I think it was real. But maybe we aren't supposed to know, which is the likely answer.

I truly loved the presentation at the end. In fact, I noticed on 2nd viewing that the awesome music that I love so much really amped up WAAAY before the end of the film, which made me start wondering how I had been so lost in that music in the 1st viewing that after it was over I was convinced it was dominating the final scenes...when in fact it wasn't at all. That's just incredible.

And, if you think about it, the final scenes were really like the last 60 minutes of the film. Which is astonishing.

I loved some of the light lines that really got lost in the heaviness of the plot. Lines like "did you guys see that?!?" (when the van flips over a few times) or when someone says "We're repairing his relationship with his father. Fischer should be paying us twice what Seito is".  Or even just the line that got the laughs in the theater when Seito says "I own the airline. I thought it was neat." Or even when Eames says "you have to dream a little bigger" and he pulls out that grenade launcher or whatever it was. Of course, if a guy can just sort of project whatever kind of gun he has... why couldn't they do that the whole film?

Ken Watanabe is a kick-ass actor, even if I can understand only half his lines. I loved him in that Tom Cruise movie "The Last Samurai" and am glad to see him getting work. Good work.

Actually, the entire cast was awesome. If I had to nitpick... well, anything I could say would apply the whole cast, and I really liked the roles and everything about them. So I can't even nitpick about those. Butter says that Leo ate up a few scenes... sure, but he was the main character. So that's probably allowed.

Ellen Page's career just got a huge boost. She has Juno, but having two dynamite films on her resume means she can do anything she wants now. That roller derby film was a flop, so I was thinking that with all these Cisco commercials she's doing maybe she isn't as in-demand as you'd think. But she should be now. I also noticed that she doesn't project "sex" the way most of my on-screen crushes do. She's kind of cute, of course, but her outfits in this movie and in Juno both kinda de-emphasized her body. In X-Men 3 she's in a hot outfit, but I don't know what she wears in the Roller Derby role. A lot of scenes with her were close ups of her face or upper body... or she'd be walking and we'd see her from behind. Strange, I thought, that the film wouldn't take advantage of her physically. I guess they figured they had Marion Cotillard for that.

Oooh, and Tom Berenger!! I loved seeing Jake Taylor again, even if he's fatter and considerably older. And seeing Cillian Murphy in a role where he's not the creepy doctor guy in Batman Begins was refreshing. One thing I liked about the film is that there really isn't a bad guy. There's no particular antagonist. They are racing against the clock I suppose, but that's about it. And yet... it's sooooo awesome. Well done Mr. Nolan. Well done.

This whole post is really to say "I loved it and can talk about anything in it, but I don't really have anything specific to talk about."

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:28:44 AM »

I want to see it again for the soundtrack. Here's an interesting article about one of the musical themes.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/27/inception-music-twist-the-hidden-meaning-of-the-evil-foghorn/
also known as rcc94

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • Spreadsheets R Us
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »

I saw that about the music earlier today, and all I can say is wow.

The thought that went into this film is absolutely stunning.  I don't know what else to say about it.  As I said somewhere else, I think the movie was so intricately built, that it can mean something different for each individual viewing it. For those that don't like to think too much during a movie, at the end everything's real and he finally made it. For those that like to pick things apart, at the end he's still dreaming and he's never going to make it back to reality. And under that possibility, there are even more possible resolutions as to why he's still there and what it all means.

This music thing just adds yet another layer. 

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »

I want to see it again for the soundtrack. Here's an interesting article about one of the musical themes.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/27/inception-music-twist-the-hidden-meaning-of-the-evil-foghorn/

Brilliant
Opulence. I has it.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

I just got back from seeing this movie, and I fricking loved it. Such intricate plots, so many layers, such thought that went into everything! And it was so beautifully shot! Very much looking forward to seeing it again, and I am very glad I shelled out for the IMAX version, as well.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Abraham

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 08:56:07 AM »

It was visually stimulating. I will give it that. It was virtually impossible to determine which level they were at and got even more confusing when they started the kicks. I thought that the van was never going to reach the water. And, how did Leonardo get back, I though he was stuck with his wife?

Specially for Kids : Ride On Toys for Toddlers
10 Best Price Reviews : Celestron Telescopes[/url

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2011, 09:18:42 PM »

Re-reading this thread makes me want to see it again. Nice bump Abraham.
Pages: [1]   Go Up