Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NaNoWriMo 2010  (Read 4715 times)

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
NaNoWriMo 2010
« on: November 05, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »

So, I forgot to make a post for this. And then I remembered. So:

This year I am hating my job, oh so much, loving grad school, luckily way more than I hate work, and trying to do this thing called NaNo.

This year's project is called Vertigo Girls, and it's an experiment in episodic fiction sort of like my Scurvytown experiment, but is of a more serious dramatic tone than the haphazard oddity that is Scurvytown.

I am 4 days behind right now, but hopeful as I head into the first weekend.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: NaNoWriMo 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 10:19:52 AM »

I was wondering about this. Glad to see you're still into it.

Of course, I'm a little flabbergasted.
Work and School at the same time is insane. Now you're adding NaNo on top of it? Ummm... really?

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:02:49 PM »

Work and School at the same time is insane. Now you're adding NaNo on top of it? Ummm... really?

And blogging and trying to maintain at least *some* content for Scurvytown, which should pick up in a bit because I'm writing a Scurvytown plot-line for a paper for one of my classes. I am going off the pretty damn true theory that if you want to be a writer, guess what, chump, you need to write your freaking fingers off.

Oh, and at the moment, my NaNo word count is just over 5k. Hoping to get to 7500 by the end of the night, and then get caught up tomorrow. (And I have a paper to finish writing for a class for Monday night, but I have most of it outlined already, so that helps a lot).

I really wish my shitty day job would give us our god damn severance packages now instead of making us wait until next August.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 07:05:03 PM by Sarcastica »
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 10:14:04 PM »

Yay for NKU's library being open til midnight. And for the new Stereolab album on NPR, which is super fun writing music. About to pass my first 10k as of tonight. Just trying to get at least my minimum word count done each night this week, and hoping to get caught up this weekend. I am catching up, today's goal is 13334, so if I stop at just over 10k, I'm still only about 2 days behind. I really need a 9k word weekend to boost up my word count.

I like the focus I've taken on this year's project. It's all about getting a plot out of my system that's been languishing away in the dungeon of my brain for far too long.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »

I'm flabbergasted that you play on like 12 baseball teams at a time or whatever the hell it is. :P

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »

Haha. Touche.

But that's only because I don't have any homework or other after work obligations. School always drained me considerably.

And for what it's worth, I'm EXTREMELY excited to have the next four months off to freaking heal up all of my aches and pains. Woo.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 11:59:27 PM »

Okay, just over 12k words as of tonight. The story is finally getting someplace cool, so the word count should start taking off in the next few days. Hoping to have a kick-ass weekend of writing productivity.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:36:14 PM »

Okay, so things were going okay, then life kind of happened.

I think I might have my first NaNo-fail year, but I am completely okay with that. My goal at the moment is to get to 25k, but I think that another 25k after that is definitely out of my reach. There's just so much other writing and reading going on in my life at the moment, that sadly, this project has taken a backseat.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »

Hey, it's alright. Live life to it's fullest and don't feel sad.

Plus, you are always welcome to finish your project when life becomes more manageable you know.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 08:07:21 PM »

Hey, it's alright. Live life to it's fullest and don't feel sad.

Plus, you are always welcome to finish your project when life becomes more manageable you know.

Yeah, good point. No point in being sad about it when I am happy enough just to be on schedule to hit the 25k point. Just 206 words shy of 21k at the moment.

I have been doing lots of other writing, working on my new website, writing papers for grad school, and generally just trying to get my life more organized. I think there is going to be a lot more writing in my future, so I am very happy to have been able to find the time to throw 25k at this particular project. It's no worse off than it was, and it's already been on the back burner for about 2 years.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »

Hooray! Made it to 25k words!

This story has at least another 50k words in it in order to be a complete novel. I am hoping to re-organize my writing schedule and find a way to fit in some daily progress on it.

Not sure if this makes sense, but one of the reasons I actually wanted to have a fail year was because it takes the pressure off from having a complete 100% success record. Having a so-called "fail" kind of alleviates some of the pressures I put on myself as a writer. It may sound silly, but it was actually a relief not to cross the finish line for once. And it was fun to still be able to cheer others across the line. :D
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:35:15 AM by Sarcastica »

Pages: [1]   Go Up