Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 19955 times)

dirk

• City Elder
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 04:18:49 PM »

The Tv show definitely isn't following the books faithfully (for example the entire CDC thing was not in the comics at all), but the general storyline seems to be following it.  But some things like Amy dying follows the comic.

Possible Spoiler from comic:
For example you can definitely tell in the build of Shane that it may eventually lead to him being shot by Carl, which is what happened in the comics.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 09:36:21 PM »

Well as much as you like the Gunslinger series of graphic novels, I would hate to see you deprive yourself from reading The Walking Dead books, just because there's a TV show adapted from them.  Just a suggestion.

There's going to be a tv show?!?
I actually didn't keep up with the comics.  I just couldn't make it to a comic book store on a regular enough basis
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »

Yeah, it's actually an interesting idea.  Three films combined with a network TV show.  They will both be connected.

The plan is to start with the feature film, and then create a bridge to the second feature with a season of TV episodes. That means the feature cast—and the big star who’ll play Deschain—also has to appear in the TV series before returning to the second film. After that sequel is done, the TV series picks up again, this time focusing on Deschain as a young gunslinger. Those storylines will be informed by a prequel comic book series that King was heavily involved in plotting. The third film would pick up the mature Deshain as he completes his journey. They will benefit from being able to use the same sets cast and crew for the movie and TV, which could help contain costs on what will be a financially ambitious undertaking.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 05:00:27 AM by Nate »
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 08:05:36 AM »

The show was starting to get on my nerves a little bit, but they totally redeemed themselves with the last one.  Shane's descent into madness FTW.  Even if I did wonder how they found white bread for Rick's sandwich after months with no outside contact, it was still well worth it.  Though I wish this season was less about 2 days lost in the forest and more about finding out if there is any organized civilization still left anywhere.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:32 AM »

I liked how he left the hot shower running while he went crazy and shaved his head... cause you'd totally do that with gas, water, heat and electricity at a premium.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »

The show is starting to annoy me.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2011, 10:52:45 PM »

Dragging out every single point for as long as possible... this show went from awesome to mind-numbing in a matter of a few episodes.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #67 on: November 26, 2011, 09:53:49 AM »

I'm still digging it.
It can get frustrating, sure, but there's just enough tension and zombie action to keep me interested.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2011, 12:03:27 PM »

Heads up: this will be all-spoiler, but then you probably shouldn't be reading a thread about a show unless you're actually keeping up with it (just saying...).

I was reading the books before the season one began, and I was surprised by how much I was hooked (and continue to be) on the print series.

I'm glad the TV series is not following the books with 100% fidelity to the source material; otherwise, I don't see why there would be much of a point in translating something from one medium to another.

That said, season one went in some interesting new directions (CDC, Earl), and some that were not.  My biggest problem is with the characters, especially Andrea, who is my favorite character in the books and my least favorite on the show.  In the books, she is one of the youngest and yet one of the most competent of the survivors, and she gradually builds an impressive skill set.  On the show, the character is incredibly annoying, given some of the worst dialogue in the show (in a show that already has too much overblown dialogue) and the actress (who I thought was one of the best performers in "The Mist") is just awful.

I mentioned dialogue and that brings to mind another complaint: what is the deal with the theological discussion in each episode of this season?  These conversations feel tacked on in an attempt to add depth to the show, but this is a show about zombies.  This is about survival.  This show should not aspire for anything more than the subtle messages of Romero's "...of the Dead" movies.  And don't get me started on when these conversations tend to happen.  Hey, while we're running for our lives or trying to rescue a little girl from certain death, let's just hunker down here and chew the fat about God.

So far, season two has been a mess.  I like how it went back to a plotline from the books, as the survivors find Hershel's farm (and Glen finds Maggie).  Unfortunately, the producers decided to fill an entire season with two or three episodes of material.  For example, the entire incident with the zombie in the well was ridiculous in just about every way conceivable and was simply there to fill time without advancing the plot.

Same goes for the "Sophia is lost in the woods" element of this season.  Everything about this whiffs of time-filler.  It is things like this are quickly making the show into something like the early third season episodes of Lost, where it was obvious nobody had any clear idea where the show was going and every new conflict was simply a diversion from the main storyline.

Which leads me to the same problem Lost discovered early on: what do you do with the children on the show?   They're obviously going to age faster than the other actors, which limits your possibilities for use and may even decide the direction of the show.  Because of this, I believe they are going to find Sophia in the last episode of this season, and that she will be a zombie.  And I believe Carol (her mother) is going to let Sophia attack her, thereby reuniting them forever. 

I know this sounds incredibly pessimistic but this brings me to my final beef about the show's current course.  Those who have been following the books know (almost )anything goes.  It is pretty shocking (especially in the first few books) just how expendable characters, even major ones, can be.  The show, on the other hand, plays it much safer and I think that greatly diminishes the impact it could have.  I keep feeling exasperated that this or that character is still alive this deep into the second season.  The show is only intriguing if there's that constant element of danger and uncertainty and, to maintain that vibe, the show should start killing off some major characters in order to shake it (and the viewers) out of the comfort zone.

But when all is said and done, I'm still watching the show and (much like Lost) I enjoy having something new to obsess over and analyze, even if I'm complaining about it.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2011, 02:52:13 AM »

I think they're going to kill off major characters.  IMO, it's going to start with the next episode.  (If anyone's read the books, you know exactly who is not going to be around when this thing starts up again in the Spring).  My wife has not read the books, and she's enjoying the series so far.  For most viewers, I think that's the norm.  TWD is the highest rated TV show on AMC.  More viewers than Breaking Bad.  More viewers than Mad Men.  If it sucked, I think it would have been pulled by now.

The only reason there's a five-month break in the season is because there's no new Mad Men episodes this year, which sucks.  Next week is the last one until the end of March.  Which is also why I think tonight's episode is going to be awesome.  Action galore, characters will be killed off.  Shit finally goes down.
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2011, 06:42:35 PM »

If it followed the books, Shane would've been dead in the first episode.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #71 on: November 28, 2011, 12:10:29 PM »

FINALLY something happened this season! It's about goddamn time.

And yeah, I was wondering if zombie Sophia was in the barn.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 12:13:26 PM by Buzzstein »

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #72 on: November 28, 2011, 01:23:32 PM »

I was happy with last night's ep.  Certainly sets up some interesting possibilities for February.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #73 on: November 28, 2011, 03:06:43 PM »

I was happy with last night's ep.  Certainly sets up some interesting possibilities for February.

Oh no. We have to wait until February for new episodes??

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #74 on: November 28, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »

Yes, last night was the "mid-season finale".
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up