Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 22380 times)

mik

• City Elder
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »

Excellent mid-season finale last night! I really had a feeling that a main character or two was going to get it..........
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2013, 02:02:57 PM »

Right? From the opening it was all "This shit is about to get real".

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

As a standalone episode, it was pretty good.

From a series standpoint, there was really no reason to bring the governor back and waste two episodes on him only to have him die in a stupid assault on the prison that he was trying to do when he got defeated in the first place.  It pretty much makes the entire first half of this season a waste.

Whole series has been like that.  The cool action episodes where there's lots of shooting and dying and tension are great.  The plot development is terrible.  I don't know why they don't just turn it into an old school non-serial action show where the problems resolve themselves in one episode and you can watch them in any order.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #108 on: December 03, 2013, 07:25:06 AM »

From a series standpoint, there was really no reason to bring the governor back and waste two episodes on him only to have him die in a stupid assault on the prison that he was trying to do when he got defeated in the first place.  It pretty much makes the entire first half of this season a waste.

They spent most of the season trying to recover from their failure to resolve the Governor storyline at the end of Season 3.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »

Yeah, it would have made a whole lot more sense to kill him off in season 3.  Just before he bought it I told Julie there was no way he was going to die since they'd just invested so much time in him.  Dumb writing.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Fourthisto

« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2013, 09:48:52 AM »

Glad that half-season ended with a bang... the episodes leading up to that reminded me of all that time wasted on the farm. Zzzz city.

I don't know why they don't just turn it into an old school non-serial action show where the problems resolve themselves in one episode and you can watch them in any order.

Actually, I think they might be doing that - all of the people fleeing from the prison, broken into different groups - why not have every (or at least the first five/six) episode of the 2nd half focus on a different group, even include Carol? Would be a nice departure from the character orgy that the prison became.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2013, 10:56:51 AM »

I have a feeling we will see Carol again -- alive even.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 11:00:27 AM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2013, 11:10:13 AM »

I don't think there's any doubt about that at all.  She'll turn up before the second half of the season ends.

Julie was convinced that she would turn up during the big battle this week.  Everytime one of the bad guys got shot, and even when the governor got the sword, Julie would say, "It's Carol".  Too soon, just too soon.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2013, 11:38:51 AM »

Yes, we will have to see Carol again so she can be exonerated from the two killings because it was Lizzie all along.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #114 on: December 05, 2013, 09:25:39 AM »

just halfway through the season - i like to save them up and watch in a few days - pretty good so far.

pretty obvious that carol is covering for someone with the burning of the two bodies. and the feeding of the "nate" with rats. got to be that lizzie girl.

just finished the ep where the governor is standing outside the prison at the end. predictable. spoilers don't bother me that much as he's just back to pad a few eps anyway, so he's going to die.

just finished the flu eps. *yawn*. it's like these people can't foresee, at all. those fences should be fortified all the time. at least they addressed the food by farming.

why didn't they take over the governor's town?

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #115 on: December 05, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »

I don't see Carol covering for Lizzie for the killings, I think she did them. It makes perfect sense with the new attitude Carol has. She is all about doing whatever she thinks is needed to survive, and if that means killing 2 people so be it. I think Lizzie is definitely the rat feeder/dissector, but it is a huge jump from that to her having killed 2 people.

Overall, I really liked this season. The only thing that bothered me were the 2 big dropped plots (that I assume may come up in the second half) of the huge zombie herd and the radio transmission. The radio transmission was just dropped and you would think that would have been a HUGE thing. 
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2013, 03:28:53 PM »

I don't see Carol covering for Lizzie for the killings, I think she did them. It makes perfect sense with the new attitude Carol has. She is all about doing whatever she thinks is needed to survive, and if that means killing 2 people so be it. I think Lizzie is definitely the rat feeder/dissector, but it is a huge jump from that to her having killed 2 people.

This.  We haven't seen the last of her though, she'll be back, if not in this season she'll be in the next.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2013, 05:10:40 PM »

There really isn't a reasonable storyline to the Carol thing. 

She was, up until maybe the final 15 minutes still the least bad-ass member of that crew.  I mean, yeah she taught the kids to use knives instead of read and she killed a dude before he could go zombie.  Big whoop.  Half the other people in that group do that on a daily basis.

It seems rather unlikely that either Lizzie or Carol would have the strength to drag two dead bodies out to the courtyard and burn them.  Also, isn't Lizzie's personality/storyline basically just a rehash of Beth from the season before?

Anyway, the series really sucks at ambiguity.  You would think that in a post apocalypse world, the lines would get blurred but pretty much everyone on the show is very clearly good (albeit possibly with some weaknesses) or very clearly bad.  Which makes it difficult for me to see how Carol won't get exonerated in some way.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »

SPOILERS  and random thoughts ahead.

sheesh. the final was a bloodbath. how many died?

i liked that the little girl took out the woman with the machine gun. hilarious. as though the gov's crew thought that storming the prison was all fun and games. possibly the worst use of a tank in a firefight. clearly no one knows basic flanking maneuvers. and once the battle started, they all forgot about rick, who was 50 feet from them behind the bus. sheesh.

you knew megan was getting it when the camera panned and she was in the background. again, why leave your child at least 30 secs away from you when zombies routinely pop out of nowhere? a bit ridiculous mom wandered all the way to the battle carrying the kid and she didn't turn. that's good, bad writing. no guards out on patrol for the inevitable swarm that's coming? leave the kids and moms undefended near the river? i'd have to think, if i was facing those circumstances, we'd be all about defense before offense.

i was thinking this reminds me of american history, bear with me here a moment. the frontier through ohio, kentucky,... the midwest. why not build forts for protection, set up trade routes with other forts, and beware of enemies (zombies in this case, but english,colonists, or native americans in that case - it was a bloody time). homesteads would be around the fort for protection and could retreat to the fort during times of emergency.  i suppose i think too much. i'd have to think that working together is a better option than fighting it out with every other group of humans.

as for zombie physiology, it's been over a year in the time line of the show, don't zombies also decompose? once the muscle falls off the bone, they can't move or bite. i'd think that most zombies would decompose into harmless piles of bones during the ~18 months of the show. random zombie pop ups seem plausible, but full on swarms should be "dying" HA! down.

predictable that the gov was a sacrifice to the story line. you knew he'd turn up again, and cause a shit storm and be killed. someone that full of hate and evil just can't last that long, although i did like they showed a "human" side of him when he met his new family. a bit gratuitous when he bashed in the grampa's head instead of using his knife.

didn't expect herschel to die. nice twist there. at this rate, any character can go at any time. i wonder if they'll keep rick around for the entire run?

carol will obviously return. they'll meet up on the road, save tyrese and all will be forgiven. she will cause another problem with her new survival mantra, perhaps with the new group/town they settle in.

why on earth do they all choose the most inefficient cars to drive? gas has got to be running out. that bugs me. i'd be stocking up on priuses or diesel cars. on second thought, the prius probably has too much technology to fix. stick to a diesel. where are the horses? i'd think they'd be the best option for getting around. michonne had one and then it just disappeared.

so, what's next?

i may complain a bit, but i really like the show and the writing. it's far better than most of the crap on tv.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #119 on: April 21, 2014, 11:23:42 PM »

carol will obviously return. they'll meet up on the road, save tyrese and all will be forgiven. she will cause another problem with her new survival mantra, perhaps with the new group/town they settle in.

ha! i was right.

SPOILERS BELOW

just finished the recent half season on easter. good stuff.

should've seen the "of mice and men" homage with lizzie. that was a great episode and very gut wrenching. knew tyrese would forgive her eventually.

they're doing a great job of blurring the line between good and bad people. survivalists at all costs vs helping out others (although i think we'd do a better job of altruism in such a world).

glad they didn't have beth and darryl get a physical romance going. that would've been cheap. where did beth go? was this plot line in the books?

watching all 8 eps in one day had me notice one thing: recycling outdoor sets. i'd swear they used the same campsite at least three times. they do a pretty good job of keeping continuity other than that.

for some reason, i figured terminus was another "bad" outpost. since the series has had evil towns already, it made sense to recycle the idea with a new spin. i bet they get their supplies from wandering folks, and do a type of soylent green cannibilism with newcomers. just a hunch, but if a town goes that way, it's a great way to get supplies and food delivered to you, by your food.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up