Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Walking Dead  (Read 24360 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Walking Dead
« Reply #135 on: December 05, 2014, 08:11:31 AM »

Sasha and Tyrese are just going to be annoying now.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2014, 01:06:28 PM »

I was okay with Beth dying for multiple reasons:

1)  For some reason, every single woman on the Walking Dead is super hot to me.  I don't know why.  I mean some of them actually ARE kinda hot.  But even like Carol and Dawn and others I find oddly sexy.  I don't like Christine Woods in her usual Courtney Cox-looking mode when she's supposed to be somewhat attractive, but put her in a cop uniform looking like she hasn't slept for days and something happens.  I also hate Christian Serratos real-life glammy hot model pinup looks in real life but find her sexy on the show.  It works for everyone.  Except Beth/Emily McKinney.  Who just annoys me even though they made her character better.  And who also annoys me outside the show.

2)  I like it when people on that show die sort of randomly.  I just think that is what happens in that situation.  You lose your head for a second like Beth did, or you just get unlucky and it's curtains.  It's somewhat unsatisfying in a character development, story arc sort of way... but it needs to happen now and again.

3)  Beth had kind of gone as far as she could go.  She was kind of the somewhat annoying innocent character.  Then she became stronger and experienced stuff.  By the end though, she was becoming much like everyone else, struggling with moral ambiguity and all the nastiness.  Which was realistic and good for the plot but from there on she'd just be another Tyrese or Bob or whoever.  There are already too many similar-ish people they don't know what to do with.  And it's nice that she went out stupidly but at the same time sort of self-sacrificingly.  She was going to have to turn into a different person, and maybe she deep down didn't want to be that person.  At the same time, she had a strength and viciousness to her.  So that was all sort of new Beth, and old virginal Beth and kid Beth rolled up all in one moment and maybe those three just can't coexist and something stupid happens.

4)  It was still sad and emotional for me but because DAWN died.  I really kind of liked her character.  You could see how she was good, but that good had been twisted and how really she wasn't all that far away from Rick.  She was kind of in between Rick and Shane before the writers messed him up bad right before she died.  The slo-mo of her shocked face shaking her head all "I didn't mean it" was kinda moving to me.  Daryl just gunned her down in cold...well, maybe hot blood.  That to me was more nasty than anything else in that ep.  Beth lost her head and was trying sort of to save Noah.  Dawn shot Beth accidentally upon being stabbed.  Daryl shot Dawn on purpose.

Overall, I'd say that was a pretty strong season 4 so far.  The new head honcho guy is way better at character development and they have the ratio of character/human stuff to crazy zombie-kicking-ass about right now.  There are still too many characters they don't know what to do with.  Sasha and Tyrese still give off that T-Dog 2.0 vibe.  And while characters Maggie and Abraham are good overall they kind of get put away for too long.  Like Maggie kinda forgot all about Beth until this episode.  Abraham had that breakdown but then just sorta disappeared like oh its all over now.  It's a hard juggling act, I get it.  But then maybe they need to downsize the cast.  And they are still sort of stuck in the "group meets new group/new group sucks/someone dies" cycle.  Along with the "group gets split up/somehow reconvenes with new character" thing.  They're doing it BETTER now but they still need to break out of it.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #137 on: December 07, 2014, 10:07:20 AM »

interesting take on dawn.....you may have liked her more than anyone i've talked to, but i was having this discussion with my coworker, was it an accident she killed beth?
i haven't watched again for nuance but my first thought was that if it was an accident she wouldn't have shot her in the head...more likely the gut or something during the brief struggle. sure, it was close quarters but my sense was that she was prepared to kill beth all along, despite trying to mold her in her own weird way or get her on board with whatever philosophy she was touting. it's almost as if dawn wanted to prove to beth that her thinking was wrong....by whatever means. and that she was better off being under dawn's influence, dead or alive.

there's no doubt everyone is shifting into moral ambiguity, or maybe "justified morality" is a better word...so from that standpoint maybe dawn isn't much different from rick or shane, it's my sense though that the writers are really exploring the shades of grey now. leadership seems to be ultimately be earned by cruelty or willingness to do the horrible thing. gareth being the most horrible, and the governor wrapping his horribleness up like a charismatic politician. dawn ruled with a stick too....i mean, slapping the shit out of people while you are trying to convince them you are saving them? and just letting systemic rape go on like that? the big difference now seems to be whether you are trying to mind your own business (like rick's group) or actively drawing in victims, like woodbury, terminus or the hospital. that still the demarcation between a (albeit frail) dictatorship and something slightly less.

yeah. tough episode. beth had just been kind of innocuous to me all along but building this story arc kind of purposely got everyone on her side because she was the victim. i just love the tension of the that final scene though..putting the hostage swap in a claustrophobic hallway like that...a shoot out would have taken down several characters and they really upped the stakes with that location and even how they filmed it with dutch angles. the herschel death scene is still more classically barbaric in a way....that will be an enduring image, on his knees. one thing though is that the writer's may want to start considering the head fake with these finales.....they do it a little with carol, like, who is going to die, but yeah i bet the next big death might be totally out of left field without a big build up.
bongo hard or bongo home

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #138 on: December 07, 2014, 10:58:02 AM »

I don't think her shooting Beth was so much an accident as it was an unexpected reaction. She was really starting to like Beth, and when Beth stabbed her, she just reacted and shot her. The look on her face pretty much showed she regretted it as soon as it happened, but at that point, it was too late.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2014, 07:24:26 AM »

I agree with ZK that it was a strong season overall, but I disagree about liking Dawn.  I thought everyone in the hospital was either really poorly acted or written, or some combination of both.  Most of the "evil" cops were just short of twirling their mustache.  And I really never got much out of Dawn except "can we please move on from this terrible actress/character already".

But I really enjoyed it overall.  Although, a lot of people that are unconscious for several hours seemed to be just fine after waking up.  That's not really how that works.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #140 on: December 09, 2014, 11:25:04 AM »

What?  You think it's not plausible to be hit by a car, be placed in a medically induced coma, and then wake up THE NEXT DAY and be perfectly alert right away?  This is a person that can shoot a hole in a propane tank at distance in one shot and then perfectly aim/time a bottle rocket to set off an explosion after all.  I'm guessing her midi-chlorians must be off the chart.

notoriouspbake

• City Elder
« Reply #141 on: December 11, 2014, 10:09:46 AM »

But I really enjoyed it overall.  Although, a lot of people that are unconscious for several hours seemed to be just fine after waking up.  That's not really how that works.

i amuse myself with similar thoughts of realism in a show about zombies - "really, you're hung up on the coma-waker being factually incorrect, not the fact that the dead come back to life?" and yes, i do say that (or something similar) every episode. that being said, can they stop using the worst cars for mpg? and who keeps mowing the lawns?

i liked the season - binge watched it last weekend - but the hosiptal arc was a throw away, for all the reasons already cited in this thread. and the terminus group - who kidnaps a guy, eats his leg, and then returns him? and how on earth did an injured guy survive all of that? i figured someone was going to die by the end, didn't see beth eating it.

since carol/darryl are now the same character, different gender - i figure one of them is going to die next half season.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #142 on: December 11, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »

i amuse myself with similar thoughts of realism in a show about zombies - "really, you're hung up on the coma-waker being factually incorrect, not the fact that the dead come back to life?" and yes, i do say that (or something similar) every episode. that being said, can they stop using the worst cars for mpg? and who keeps mowing the lawns?

Yes.  Fun things to amuse myself, but nothing that really takes away from my enjoyment of the show overall.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #143 on: December 11, 2014, 01:56:08 PM »

I notice all of that of course, and make fun of it from time to time, but the biggest one for me is the inconsistency of the zombie behavior.  One minute they are jumping fences. and the next you can basically subdue them by placing your palm on their forehead and setting your feet. 

And of course knives slide right through skulls.

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2015, 09:36:03 AM »

Tyrese is gone - who's next?
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #145 on: February 14, 2015, 12:31:51 AM »

Brutally bad episode, man.  I guess the critics liked it, not sure why.  Seemed like they tried to find a reason to go all arty, even if the plot made no sense, and the result wasn't really all that arty.

I know I said I liked it when people died kind of randomly.  I meant, every once in a while.  Not like two straight episodes.  Also, there's a difference between dying randomly and dying STUPIDLY.  Tyrese died stupidly.

I'm not too perturbed by it in the end, considering I cared nothing about Tyrese (nor do I think anyone else did).  And there were no real story arcs being resolved or launched here so none of this crapiness needs to carry over into other epsiodes.  Also, Better Call Saul was better than I expected so the evening ended on an up note.

As long as this is just the typical comic book in-between-story-arcs one-off crap epsiode.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #146 on: February 14, 2015, 07:55:08 AM »

I felt the exact opposite.  I hate that they killed Tyrese, as he was a really interesting character. He was something different from everyone else in the group and really was becoming the "moral compass" of the group (which in this show means you are going to die it seems). But I loved the episode itself even if I hated who they killed. It gave a real insight to his thinking and what his character had become that we don't get much on the show. It was something different that to me really worked. Sure, I wouldn't want stuff like that every week, but that is why episodes like that work so well, because they are so different than what you normally get.
1+2+2+1

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2015, 09:21:24 AM »

(1/2) season final episode this Sunday. It's been a good season so far - I had it called perfectly on Glen being alive and scooting under the dumpster..........
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2015, 11:02:52 AM »

I called it too but I still hate it. It seemed like such a gimmick to show him "dying" and then spend weeks not addressing it. I was okay with the Morgan story the next week to hold off, but then taking him out of the credits and then doing more story without addressing it just seemed like a desperate attempt to get people talking (which isn't needed because people already talk about the show).
1+2+2+1

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #149 on: November 25, 2015, 11:32:32 AM »

I agree with Dirk, almost completely, but I think it's stupid on another level.  Comic Book based spoilers below... you've been warned.

Glen is going to die soon anyway, for realsies.  It's a major plot point in the comics.  So what was the point of this little stunt?  Did they kill him just to bring him back in dramatic fashion, and then kill him again just when people are thinking he's safe? How friggin' contrived.

Another, unrelated, rant based on the comics.

So, I picked up one of the compiled books of the comics recently at a store and was thumbing through.  On the last page was a walker, pointing a gun at someone, and speaking to them.  Say what?  If that is seriously where all of this is going I might have to be done soon.  That is beyond stupid.  Maybe it was a dream or something, or a regular person disguised as a zombie.  Please tell me it was.  If it wasn't, wtf?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up