Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2011  (Read 30211 times)

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2011
« Reply #165 on: October 31, 2011, 12:14:22 PM »

It has been a slow year for me for a number of reasons, but ...

1. The Cornel West Reader
2. A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again by David Foster Wallace
3. Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan
4. The Disappointment Artist by Jonathan Lethem
5. Exploring Reality by John Polkinghorne
6. Stranger Than Fiction by Chuck Palahniuk
7. The Best American Essays 07 (edited by DFW)
8. Fear and Trembling by Søren Kierkegaard
9. Sloth by Gilbert Hernandez
10. The Concept of Anxiety by Søren Kierkegaard
11. Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor
12. King's Cross by Tim Keller
13. Race Matters by Cornel West
14. The Four Loves by C.S. Lewis
15. Black Postcards by Dean Wareham
16. Why Are All The Black Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? by Beverly Tatum
17. Concrete by Thomas Bernhard
18. New Seeds of Contemplation by Thomas Merton
19. The Best American Comics 2007 by Chris Ware (editor)
20. The Freelance Pallbearers by Ishmael Reed
21. 33 1/3: Song Cycle by Richard Henderson
22. Seaview by Toby Olson
23. Light Boxes by Shane Jones
24. This Is Water by David Foster Wallace
25. Oblivion: Stories by David Foster Wallace
26. Players by Don DeLillo
27. The Ask by Sam Lipsyte
28. Naked City by Sharon Zukin
29. Venus Drive: Stories by Sam Lipsyte
30. Some Common Weaknesses Illustrated by Carson Cistulli
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #166 on: November 01, 2011, 10:09:23 AM »

Holy Bubbabooks!!!...that's a lot of reading!

<BillHicks>We got ourselves a reader</>
NO KIDDING. GOOOOOOOOOOOD LORD.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

rva

« Reply #167 on: November 01, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »

12. Simon Kuper & Stefan Szymanski - Soccernomics: Why England Loses, Why Germany and Brazil Win, and Why The U.S., Japan, Australia, Turkey -And Even Iraq - Are Destined To Become The Kings of The World's Most Popular Sport

I read this last year.  It's definitely thought-provoking but ultimately I disagreed with a lot of it.  The part that everyone talks about is the US rising as a soccer power, but that was actually a lot less interesting than some of the other stuff in the book, or just the book's general Moneyball/Sabremetric approach to soccer.

Gotta give Yosh props.  That's 50 books the hard way.  That is some heavy, heavy reading right there. Most of those books should count as two.  Baudrillard should count as four.  But minus 10 points for reading more than one Nassim Taleb book.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2011, 08:23:47 AM »

1. Life - Keith Richards
2. Thanks for Nothing - Jack Dee
3. Boy Island - Camden Joy
4. Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis - Ian Kershaw
5. Shiprocked: Life on the Waves of Radio Caroline - Steve Conway
6. White Collar Woman - Nicholas Maze
7. Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain
8. Just Kids: Patti Smith's Life with Robert Mapplethorpe - Patti Smith
9. The Last Mad Surge of Youth - Mark Hodkinson.
10. Dear Fatty - Dawn French
11. See a Little Light: The Bob Mould Story - Bob Mould and Michael Azerrad
Adding:
12. Thank You For The Days - Mark Radcliffe
Easy book to dip in and out of, as each chapter offers an amusing story in the life of Brit DJ Mark Radcliffe.

13. Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life - Tom Lewis
Interesting and insightful history of the creation and building of the American interstate highway system.

Currently reading:
14. House of Dolls - Ka-Tzetnik #135633
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2011, 10:28:30 AM »

Gotta give Yosh props.  That's 50 books the hard way.  That is some heavy, heavy reading right there. Most of those books should count as two.  Baudrillard should count as four.  But minus 10 points for reading more than one Nassim Taleb book.

Yes, but then you throw in the Snooki book, and that counts as about 1/10 of a book.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #170 on: November 04, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »

1. The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey - Walter Mosley
2. My Hollywood - Mona Simpson
3. In The Shadow of Gotham - Stefanie Pintoff
Abandoned book -
Muffins and Mayhem: Recipes for a Happy (if Disorderly) Life - Suzanne Beecher - bleh. Sounded cute and clever. It wasn't.
4. The Postcard Killers - James Patterson & Liza Marklund
5. The Distant Hours - Kate Morton
6. Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King - This is the only King book I've read aside from MISERY. 4 "short" stories that really examine how different people live with guilt and regret or escape feeling any regret at all. The man can paint a creepy picture.
Abandoned book - Case Histories - Kate Atkinson  - I guess I'm not ready to read about crazy sisters again after THE DISTANT HOURS. Too soon.
7. Girl, Stolen - April Henry (YA Mystery/Thriller) - I don't even know how this ended up in my library queue but I enjoyed it. Clever heroine.
8. A Long Line of Dead Men - Lawrence Block - only my 2nd Scudder book but it did not disappoint. FANTASTIC!
9. Bossypants - Tina Fey - You just know that I loved this.
10. The Reversal - Michael Connelly - Haller, McFierce, and Bosch all working on the same case as Mickey walks across the aisle to work as a special prosecutor.
11. A Drop of the Hard Stuff - Lawrence Block - I skipped a ton of Scudder books before reading this one but it didn't matter since this book was set much earlier in the Scudder timeline. Fantastic. Makes me want to walk around the city with a bunch of quarters and make calls from pay phones.
12. Heads You Lose - Lisa Lutz and David Hayward - silly mystery written by two exes. You get to see them argue as they write the book together as they kept in the notes that they wrote to each other as they passed the book back and forth, alternating chapters. It was more successful as a warning for exes not to work together than it was as a compelling mystery.
13.Live Wire - Harlan Coben
14. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - audiobook - Wow! I requested this from the library so that we could listen to it on our road trip. It came in AFTER the trip. Soooooooooo good. I think I'll read the other two instead of listenting to them. I think Jennifer Lawrence is PERFECT casting for the role of Katniss.
15. Knockemstiff - Donald Ray Pollock - borrowed from my lovely friend, foolsgold, this is one effed up book of short stories. Chuck Cleaver if he wrote novels instead of songs.
16.On Folly Beach - Karen White - chick lit that "learned me" a little something. I picked it up because I loooooooooooove Folly Beach and would be happy to spend every summer there for the rest of my life.
17. The 9th Judgment - James Patterson - audiobook
18. Backseat Saints - Joshilynn Jackson - audiobook - Best line: "It sounded like some fireworks gettin' it on with a bag of asthma."

yoshomon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2011, 02:45:58 PM »

I made it to 50 already this year:

1. Around the Way Girls (v. 1) by LaJilla Hunt
2. Oblivion by David Foster Wallace
3. Lectures and Conversations on Aesthetics, Psychology and Religious Belief by Ludwig Wittgenstein
4. Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics ed. by Gabriel Kuhn
5. The Signature of All Things: On Method by Giorgio Agamben
6. Ghosts by Cesar Aira
7. A Shore Thing by Snooki
8. Decision Points by George W. Bush
9. The Black Swan by Nassim Taleb
10. The Tiger's Wife by Tea Obreht
11. Suicide by Edouard Leve
12. Normally Special by xTx
13. Logic by Graham Priest
14. With Borges by Alberto Manguel
15. Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth by Apostolos Doxiadis
16. Fiasco by Imre Kertész
17. An Empty Room: Stories by Mu Xin
18. Clandestine in Chile: The Adventures of Miguel Littin by Gabriel García Márquez
19. The Ignorant Schoolmaster: Five Lessons in Intellectual Emancipation by Jacques Rancière
20. The Stranger by Camus
21. Europeana by Patrik Ouedník
22. Autopy of Surrealism by Cesar Vallejo
23. The Mayakovsky Case by Cesar Vallejo
24. The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal
25. The Absent Sea by Carlos Franz
26. Tyrant Memory by Horacio Castellanos Moya
27. From the Observatory by Julio Cortazar
28. Willie Masters' Lonesome Wife by William H. Gass
29. 30 Under 30 ed. by Blake Butler and Lily Hoang
30. The Ghost Writer by Philip Roth
31. Maus (vol. 1) by Art Spiegelman
32. The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles
33. The Birth of Tragedy by Nietzsche
34. Wittgenstein's Antiphilosophy by Alain Badiou
35. Illuminations by Rimbaud (new translations by Ashbery)
36. Racing Odysseus by Roger Martin
37. ABC of Reading by Ezra Pound
38. Nox by Anne Carson
39. Stations of Desire by Ibn Arabi
40. The Bed of Procrustes by Nassim Taleb
41. Odes (Books I-IV) by Horace (transl. by James Michie)
42. Maus II (And Here My Troubles Began) by Art Spiegelman
43. If Not, Winter: Fragments of Sappho transl. by Anne Carson
44. Forget Foucault by Jean Baudrillard
45. Bad Nature, Or With Elvis in Mexico by Javier Marîas
46. Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
47. Rhyme's Reason by John Hollander
48. The Chinese Written Character as a Medium for Poetry by Ernest Fenollosa (ed. by Ezra Pound)
49. The Seamstress and the Wind by Cesar Aira
50. Hillel: If Not Now, When? by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin

51. Introduction to the Philosophy of History by GFW Hegel
52. How to Be Alone: Essays by Jonathan Franzen

yoshomon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

Nah, the Baudrillard was very short and entertaining.  What's wrong with reading more than one by Taleb?  The second one was a series of aphorisms, and it was hilarious.  I probably won't ever own a copy, but it's a great book to grab at the library and read in an afternoon.

No apologies for the Snookie book!  When you work at a public library, you read a little bit of everything.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2011, 01:00:05 PM »

1.  Lolita--Vladimir Nabokov
2.  Last Chance--Christy Reece
3.  Bright Young Things--Anna Godbersen
4.  No Chance--Christy Reece
5.  Freefall--Mindi Scott
6.  Love Drugged--James Klise
7.  Second Chance--Christy Reece
8.  Yummy: the last days of a Southside shorty--G. Neri
9.  Ninth Ward--Jewell Parker Rhodes
10.  Nothing--Janne Teller
11.  A Time of Miracles--Anne-Laure Bondoux
12.  Freaks and Revelations--Davida Wills Hurwin
13.  Zora and Me--Victoria Bond
14.  Will Grayson Will Grayson--John Green and David Levithan
15.  Tick Tock--James Patterson
16.  Please Ignore Vera Dietz--A.S. King
17.  Lockdown--Walter Dean Myers
18.  Almost Perfect--Brian Katcher
19.  The 10 p.m. Question--Kate De Goldi
20.  A Little Wanting Song--Cath Crowley
21.  Tell Us We're Home--Marina Budhos
22.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone--JK Rowling
23.  Mostly Good Girls--Leila Sales
24.  The Other Side of the Island--Allegra Goodman
25.  Toys--James Patterson
26.  The Last Good Place of Lily Odilon--Sara Beitia
27.  Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets--JK Rowling
28.  The Boy in the Dress--David Walliams
29.  Purple Daze--Sherry Shahan
30.  Kissing Game: Short Stories--Aidan Chambers
31.  Karma--Cathy Ostlere
32.  Stolen--Lucy Christopher
33.  B Negative--Vicki Grant
34.  Ship Breaker--Paolo Bacigalupi
35.  13 Little Blue Envelopes--Maureen Johnson
36.  I'll Walk Alone--Mary Higgins Clark
37.  Last Little Blue Envelope--Maureen Johnson
38.  10th Anniversary--James Patterson
39.  Glimmerglass--Jenna Black
40.  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban--J.K. Rowling
41.  Shadowspell--Jenna Black
42.  Abandon--Meg Cabot
43.  Soul Mining: a Musical Life--Daniel Lanois
44.  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire--J.K. Rowling
45.  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix--J.K. Rowling
46.  Sisterhood Everlasting--Ann Brashares
47.  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince--J.K. Rowling
48.  Now You See Her--James Patterson
49.  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows--J.K. Rowling
50.  Sirensong--Jenna Black
51.  Shine--Lauren Myracle
52.  Out of the Depths: The Story of a Child of Buchenwald Who Returned Home at Last--Israel Meir Lau
53.  Violin of Auschwitz--Maria Angels Anglada
54.  Notes from the Blender--Trish Cook
55.  I Will Always Love You--Cecily Von Ziegesar
56.  Prey--Linda Howard
57.  Rafa: My Story--Rafael Nadal
58.  Popular--Alissa Grosso
59.  Kill Me If You Can--James Patterson
60.  Tighter--Adele Griffin
61.  The Year We Were Famous--Carole Estby Dagg
62.  The Best of Me--Nicholas Sparks
63.  The Christmas Wedding--James Patterson
64.  Uncle Tom's Cabin--Harriet Beecher Stowe
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

patas

• Summer Resident
« Reply #174 on: November 08, 2011, 09:51:34 PM »

1. Orange Eat Creeps by Grace Krilanovich - Ok...what the hell was this book about. I couldn't tell what the hell was going on, but I kept reading cover to cover. This book was like one long run on sentence.
2. Dark Hallow by Brian Keene - This is the first Brian Keene book that I've read that I didn't think was great. My wife called it smut, and I think I agree with her. There are some fantastic scenes dealing with real issues in this book, but then there are those scenes that I practically blush while reading. I can't believe the author actually wrote them.
3. The Passage by Justin Cronin - What a fantastic read. I breezed right through this. I loved nearly every moment of it cover to cover
4. The Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin - This is a reread except this time I listened to the audiobook. It was a fantastically narrated. I still say that I'm not really into the standard fantasy genre, but this series is just fantastic. I look forward to reading the next three book over the next year or so in anticipation of him releasing the fifth sometime this decade.
5. The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean - This was a great read. True stories behind the discovery of the elements of the periodic table. Who knew history could be so much fun. At times the book did get a bit technical especially in the later half.
6. Blind Descent by James Tabor - Non-fiction about the race to discover the deepest cave in the world. It follows one American and his teams exploring Mexican caves and an Eastern European exploring caves in Georgia. It was rather exciting reading a book about something I am so scared to do.
7. Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunger by Seth Grahame-Smith - Another blend of fact and fiction blurring history. It was a fun book to read but I often would like the author to write clearer what is fact and what is fiction (yeah duh the vampire stuff isn't real), but what about the rest of the story?
8. Under the Dome by Stephen King (audiobook)
9. Overwinter by David Wellington.
10. Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin - This is such a long book filled with so much detail that it was just as good the second time reading as the first time I read it (if not better). I picked up on so much more the second time through too.
11. Crow Planet by Lyanda Lynn Haupt - A good book not just about crows, but more about how a nature lover can make the most of living in an urban area and the co-existence of nature and humans in urban areas.
12, Urban Gothic by Brian Keene - A pretty gruesome and scary tale. I couldn't believe the weird dreams I was having after putting this one down at night.
13. Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin - Out of the first three Song of Ice and Fire novels I've reread this year, I remembered the least of this one. It was the most enjoyable to read as well with many of the twists still intact the second time around. I am really looking forward to rereading the fourth book soon as I know I pretty much skimmed through the nine pages the first time through.
14. Gideon's Sword by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child - Pretty typical of all their book except this one is based on a new character. The new character is fairly unique with an interesting back story. Recommended for a quick summer read.
15. Wicked Plants by Amy Stewart - A fun non-fiction read laden with facts and beautifully illustrated. A look at how deadly an dangerous plants have shaped history. In all an interesting way to look at history.
16. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris - I thought I'd start reading these since I enjoy the show.
17. A Taint in the Blood by S.M. Stirling - I really wanted to like this because I've wanted to read some of S.M. Stirlings earlier books, but having two of the main characters be hero brother and evil sister named Adrian and Adrien just didn't work for me. Listing to the audiobook, there were times I couldn't follow the story because of the name similarity. It was a boring plot to boot.
18. Boneshaker by Cherie Preist - This has been on my to read list for some time and I was totally let down and disappointed. With all the praise this novel got, I expected much more. Instead I was bored with it after 100 pages and trudged through the final 300.
19. A Feast of Crows by George R. R. Martin - Reading this for the second time was so refreshing especially having just reread the first three books. I really hated this book the first time. I think it was the five year break between books. I appreciated the story more (and could follow it better) this second time around. I've gone straight into Dance with Dragons.
20. His Majesty's Dragon by Naomi Novik (audiobook) - This was a really fun book to listen to. It was well read with a wide range of character voices done by one person. It was simple yet very well written. I found my self at the engine of my driver's seat several times. It kept me on my tows when I had to turn it off when I got to work.
21. The Automatic Detective by A. Lee Martinez - Just a terrible book. It took me forever to read. I never wanted to pick it up at night. This is Martinez's debut. I read another of his novels last year and it was a lot of fun. Glad he is a better writer now.
22. Handling the Undead by John Ajvide Lindqvist An entirely different look at the rising dead scenario. I really enjoyed this alternate perspective. It is a totally different and unique book. A real look at human character. Same author as Let the Right One in by the way.
23. Peter and Max by Bill Willingham - My last post in this thread is a really mediocre book. This book is based on fabled characters in modern day setting. It was written like a children's book but it was for adults.
24. The Sisters Brothers by Patrick DeWitt - The first time in ages that I randomly picked up a book at the library and decided to read it. It was one of the most fun books I've read all year. Fantastic prose, fantastic characters. It is a California gold rush era novel about two brothers that are hitmen. Highly recommended.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #175 on: November 11, 2011, 09:12:06 AM »

No love for Anne Brontë?  She's the Brontë that doesn't suck!

I just saw this. And you know what? I can't figure out why she wasn't included in that collection (all of those stories were in one very large hardback). I'll keep an eye out when next in half priced books. But for the record, I really really like Charlotte Bronte so :P;)

1.   Jane Eyre-Charlotte Brontë
   2.   Wuthering Heights-Emily Brontë
   3.   Shirley-Charlotte Brontë
   4.   Villette-Charlotte Brontë
   5.   The Professor-Charlotte Brontë
   6.   1999: A Novel of the CelticTiger and the Search for Peace (Irish Century)-Morgan Llywelyn
   7.   Sandition and other stories-Jane Austen
   8.   Persuasion-Jane Austen
   9.   The Stories of Ray Bradbury
   10.   The Magician's Elephant-Kate DiCamillo
   11.   Dubliners-James Joyce
   12.   Great Irish Short Stories-Vivian Mercier
   13.   Becoming Jane Austen-Jon Spence
   14.   Just So Stories-Rudyard Kipling
   15.   Perfume-Patrick Suskind
   16.   Sarum: The Novel of England-Edward Rutherfurd
   17.   The Forest-Edward Rutherfurd
   18.   A Study in Scarlet- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
   19.   The Sign of the Four-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
   20.   Patrick: Son of Ireland-Stephen R. Lawhead

I bought this a few years ago when I worked at B&N. I was in the middle of another one his books (can't recall which now, Merlin maybe?) and went ahead and purchased Patrick. While this is definitely a fast read, and interesting in parts, just like his other book, I felt very dissatisfied with the book as a whole. The character never is really likable. Lawhead takes a real person and pretty much fictionalizes Patrick's life which I find bold but maybe also disrespectful? Anyway, one of my favorite genres is historical fiction, particularly the early Celtic/British period. I think I'll stick with Morgan Llywelyn and Bernard Cornwell for my historical/fantasy needs.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

yoshomon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #176 on: November 11, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »

3. Lectures and Conversations on Aesthetics, Psychology and Religious Belief by Ludwig Wittgenstein
4. Sober Living for the Revolution: Hardcore Punk, Straight Edge, and Radical Politics ed. by Gabriel Kuhn
6. Ghosts by Cesar Aira
18. Clandestine in Chile: The Adventures of Miguel Littin by Gabriel García Márquez
19. The Ignorant Schoolmaster: Five Lessons in Intellectual Emancipation by Jacques Rancière
24. The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain by Maria Rosa Menocal
38. Nox by Anne Carson
48. The Chinese Written Character as a Medium for Poetry by Ernest Fenollosa (ed. by Ezra Pound)

53. First as Tragedy, Then as Farce by Slavoj Zizek

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2011, 10:30:49 AM »

1. Life - Keith Richards
2. Thanks for Nothing - Jack Dee
3. Boy Island - Camden Joy
4. Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis - Ian Kershaw
5. Shiprocked: Life on the Waves of Radio Caroline - Steve Conway
6. White Collar Woman - Nicholas Maze
7. Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain
8. Just Kids: Patti Smith's Life with Robert Mapplethorpe - Patti Smith
9. The Last Mad Surge of Youth - Mark Hodkinson.
10. Dear Fatty - Dawn French
11. See a Little Light: The Bob Mould Story - Bob Mould and Michael Azerrad
12. Thank You For The Days - Mark Radcliffe
13. Divided Highways: Building the Interstate Highways, Transforming American Life - Tom Lewis[/quote]

Adding:
14. House of Dolls - Ka-Tzetnik #135633
Fictionalized yet haunting account of life from the Jewish ghetto to a Nazi death camp - specifically the "Joy Division."

Currently reading:
15. Miss O'Dell - by Chris O'Dell
A chance meeting at a bar in L.A. completely changed the life of 20-year old Chris O'Dell. She became the assistant to Derek Taylor of Apple Corps, who enticed her to London in the summer of 1968 to work at Apple Records. She fumbles her way through the chaos with naivety and innocence, which makes her story all the more compelling and interesting. Full of Beatles insider stuff, yet it feels as though she is only scratching the surface of what she actually knows and experienced during those heady times. Very engaging read from a very likable person.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

yoshomon

• Summer Resident
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2011, 10:04:28 PM »

6. Ghosts by Cesar Aira
38. Nox by Anne Carson

53. First as Tragedy, Then as Farce by Slavoj Zizek
54. Revealment And Concealment : Five Essays by Hayyim Nahman Bialik

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #179 on: November 15, 2011, 03:47:07 PM »

1. The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey - Walter Mosley
2. My Hollywood - Mona Simpson
3. In The Shadow of Gotham - Stefanie Pintoff
Abandoned book -
Muffins and Mayhem: Recipes for a Happy (if Disorderly) Life - Suzanne Beecher - bleh. Sounded cute and clever. It wasn't.
4. The Postcard Killers - James Patterson & Liza Marklund
5. The Distant Hours - Kate Morton
6. Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King - This is the only King book I've read aside from MISERY. 4 "short" stories that really examine how different people live with guilt and regret or escape feeling any regret at all. The man can paint a creepy picture.
Abandoned book - Case Histories - Kate Atkinson  - I guess I'm not ready to read about crazy sisters again after THE DISTANT HOURS. Too soon.
7. Girl, Stolen - April Henry (YA Mystery/Thriller) - I don't even know how this ended up in my library queue but I enjoyed it. Clever heroine.
8. A Long Line of Dead Men - Lawrence Block - only my 2nd Scudder book but it did not disappoint. FANTASTIC!
9. Bossypants - Tina Fey - You just know that I loved this.
10. The Reversal - Michael Connelly - Haller, McFierce, and Bosch all working on the same case as Mickey walks across the aisle to work as a special prosecutor.
11. A Drop of the Hard Stuff - Lawrence Block - I skipped a ton of Scudder books before reading this one but it didn't matter since this book was set much earlier in the Scudder timeline. Fantastic. Makes me want to walk around the city with a bunch of quarters and make calls from pay phones.
12. Heads You Lose - Lisa Lutz and David Hayward - silly mystery written by two exes. You get to see them argue as they write the book together as they kept in the notes that they wrote to each other as they passed the book back and forth, alternating chapters. It was more successful as a warning for exes not to work together than it was as a compelling mystery.
13.Live Wire - Harlan Coben
14. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - audiobook - Wow! I requested this from the library so that we could listen to it on our road trip. It came in AFTER the trip. Soooooooooo good. I think I'll read the other two instead of listenting to them. I think Jennifer Lawrence is PERFECT casting for the role of Katniss.
15. Knockemstiff - Donald Ray Pollock - borrowed from my lovely friend, foolsgold, this is one effed up book of short stories. Chuck Cleaver if he wrote novels instead of songs.
16.On Folly Beach - Karen White - chick lit that "learned me" a little something. I picked it up because I loooooooooooove Folly Beach and would be happy to spend every summer there for the rest of my life.
17. The 9th Judgment - James Patterson - audiobook
18. Backseat Saints - Joshilynn Jackson - audiobook - Best line: "It sounded like some fireworks gettin' it on with a bag of asthma."
19. Time to Murder and Create - Lawrence Block - 2nd Matthew Scudder novel
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up