Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Books in 2011  (Read 31004 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Books in 2011
« Reply #120 on: August 18, 2011, 04:33:05 PM »

1. Spike Milligan - Adolf Hitler: My Part In His Downfall
2. Khaled Hosseini - A Thousand Splendid Suns
3. Spike Milligan - Rommel? : Gunner Who?
4. Bill Bryson - Notes From a Small Island
5. Stieg Larsson - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
6. Paulo Coelho - The Alchemist
7. Spike Milligan - Monty: His Part In My Victory
8. Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Played With Fire
9. Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
10. James Ellroy - The Black Dahlia

It took me two months to read this. I guess that indicates how much I liked it. I'm glad I read it, but I'm more glad I'm done with it. The last 50 or so pages were good at least.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #121 on: August 19, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »

1. The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey - Walter Mosley
2. My Hollywood - Mona Simpson
3. In The Shadow of Gotham - Stefanie Pintoff
Abandoned book -
Muffins and Mayhem: Recipes for a Happy (if Disorderly) Life - Suzanne Beecher - bleh. Sounded cute and clever. It wasn't.
4. The Postcard Killers - James Patterson & Liza Marklund
5. The Distant Hours - Kate Morton
6. Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King - This is the only King book I've read aside from MISERY. 4 "short" stories that really examine how different people live with guilt and regret or escape feeling any regret at all. The man can paint a creepy picture.
Abandoned book - Case Histories - Kate Atkinson  - I guess I'm not ready to read about crazy sisters again after THE DISTANT HOURS. Too soon.
7. Girl, Stolen - April Henry (YA Mystery/Thriller) - I don't even know how this ended up in my library queue but I enjoyed it. Clever heroine.
8. A Long Line of Dead Men - Lawrence Block - only my 2nd Scudder book but it did not disappoint. FANTASTIC!
9. Bossypants - Tina Fey - You just know that I loved this.
10. The Reversal - Michael Connelly - Haller, McFierce, and Bosch all working on the same case as Mickey walks across the aisle to work as a special prosecutor.
11. A Drop of the Hard Stuff - Lawrence Block - I skipped a ton of Scudder books before reading this one but it didn't matter since this book was set much earlier in the Scudder timeline. Fantastic. Makes me want to walk around the city with a bunch of quarters and make calls from pay phones.
12. Heads You Lose - Lisa Lutz and David Hayward - silly mystery written by two exes. You get to see them argue as they write the book together as they kept in the notes that they wrote to each other as they passed the book back and forth, alternating chapters. It was more successful as a warning for exes not to work together than it was as a compelling mystery.
13.Live Wire - Harlan Coben
14. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins - audiobook - Wow! I requested this from the library so that we could listen to it on our road trip. It came in AFTER the trip. Soooooooooo good. I think I'll read the other two instead of listenting to them. I think Jennifer Lawrence is PERFECT casting for the role of Katniss.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #122 on: August 19, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »

It took me two months to read this. I guess that indicates how much I liked it. I'm glad I read it, but I'm more glad I'm done with it. The last 50 or so pages were good at least.
DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. You have been warned.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #123 on: August 19, 2011, 11:42:25 AM »

DO NOT WATCH THE MOVIE. AWFUL AWFUL AWFUL. You have been warned.

Warning noted. I don't really have much desire to, but you know how these things sometimes go. You just sort happen upon them and then suddenly you're doomed. I didn't read the book because of the movie, actually (although it probably helped). I read it because A) I remember my girlfriend reading the book back in 2006 when we lived together and I always wondered what it was about, etc, and B) I needed books and my sister had it on her shelf so I just took it. It's not like I went out of my way for it.

Speaking of needing books... I think I'm out of books to read. Crap.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #124 on: August 19, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »

Uh-Oh. Time to go to the Ghostbusters' Library.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #125 on: August 20, 2011, 05:49:19 PM »

Have you read The Hunger Games yet? Wonderful series. I haven't been this smitten with a book series in ages.
I have a bit of a <3sies issue with dystopian future stories where I kind of need to read them ALL. And then I write the same kind of stuff, lately, anyway, so yeah. Clearly I am obsessed.

Speaking of The Hunger Games, completely agree with C-lando regarding Jennifer Lawrence as perfect casting for Katniss. Really excited to see how the movie compares to the books.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #126 on: August 21, 2011, 01:15:51 PM »

Yup, I read Hunger Games last year. It was great and I totally loved it. Although... I'm not as sold as you guys on Katniss. She is described as having olive skin and is something like 16 or 17, right? Jennifer Lawrence is NOT olive skinned or 17. Of course, I'm also intrigued by the choice, so I'll be willing to give it a go, but I'm not in love with the idea just yet. I want to see some footage first.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2011, 11:24:55 PM »

1. The Windup Girl - Paolo Bacigalupi
2. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking
3. Shades of Grey - Jasper Fforde
4. Ghostopolis - Doug TenNapel
5. The Magicians - Lev Grossman
6. New Media - Terry Flew
7. The Unruly Woman: Gender and Genres of Laughter - Kathleen Rowe
8. Preacher, Volume 1: Gone to Texas  - Garth Ennis
9. Romantic Comedy: Boy Meets Girl Meets Genre - Tamar Jeffers McDonald
10. Zombie Spaceship Wasteland - Patton Oswalt
11. Super Sad True Love Story - Gary Shteyngart
12. A Visit From the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan
13. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - Helen Simonson
14. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks - Rebecca Skloot
15. The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins
16. Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins
17. Mockingjay - Suzanne Collins
18. Death's Daughter - Amber Benson

19. The Magician King - Lev Grossman - started off great, ended horribly. The non-ending screamed 2nd part of a trilogy (if indeed this is meant to be a trilogy). So disappointed after a great first half. It's like I'm talking about sports or something.

20. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro - Love love love. Beautifully written. I'd already seen the movie a few times and adored the story. The book is better than the movie, but only slightly. They're about as evenly matched as I've seen a book vs. movie, but the book wins it, since it really explains the depths of their insular existence and why they were so accepting of their fates. There is still that nagging tug of why they didn't try to run, but I think Ishiguro made the right choice as a writer to leave that subject implied. I feel like other characters within that world, a story untold might be like that, but that wasn't Kathy's story, it wasn't hers and the other Hailsham students' reality. Fascinating world, again so much love for this beautifully crafted/written novel. <3
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:27:07 PM by scurvygirl »
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #128 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »

1. Lawrence Block - Hit and Run
2. Stephen King - The Colorado Kid
3. Lawrence Block - Grifter's Game
4.Ayn Rand - Anthem
5. Lawrence Block - Everybody Dies
6. Elmore Leonard - The Switch
7. Steven King (as Richard Bachman) - The Long Walk

8. John Grisham - Ford County Stories - JGs legal stuff bores me to tears but his non-legal stuff is always great.  This one is a collection of short stories set in the same town as A Time To Kill.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #129 on: September 09, 2011, 08:37:01 AM »

20. Never Let Me Go - Kazuo Ishiguro - Love love love. Beautifully written. I'd already seen the movie a few times and adored the story. The book is better than the movie, but only slightly. They're about as evenly matched as I've seen a book vs. movie, but the book wins it, since it really explains the depths of their insular existence and why they were so accepting of their fates. There is still that nagging tug of why they didn't try to run, but I think Ishiguro made the right choice as a writer to leave that subject implied. I feel like other characters within that world, a story untold might be like that, but that wasn't Kathy's story, it wasn't hers and the other Hailsham students' reality. Fascinating world, again so much love for this beautifully crafted/written novel. <3
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! So beautiful and haunting. God. I love this book. I was seriously obsessed with it forever after reading it.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #130 on: September 09, 2011, 07:22:37 PM »

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! So beautiful and haunting. God. I love this book. I was seriously obsessed with it forever after reading it.

I can pretty much guarantee I'll be reading it again soon. And also that my writing for the several months is going to be heavily influenced by some of the ideas in the novel. I seriously haven't loved a book this much all year. A few books I've read this year come close to this much <3 (Major Pettigrew, The Hunger Games), but Never Let Me Go is some seriously fine literature. Might watch the movie again tonight, in fact.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #131 on: September 10, 2011, 09:51:39 PM »

Going to see how far I get in this this year.  Trashy novels not included.

1.  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo- Steig Larsson
2. Mark Twain's Autobiography (1924 ed)
3. Street Gang
4. Earth (the Book): A Visitors Guide to the Human Race -- John Stewart and Co.
5. One of our Thursdays is Missing-- Jasper Fforde
6. At Home: A short History of Private Life-- Bill Bryson
7. Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption-- Laura Hillenbrand
8. In Defense of Food: An eater's manifesto-- Michael Pollan
9. The Girl Who Played with Fire-- Steig Larsson
10. A Novel Bookstore-- Laurence Cosse
Pretty good. Read while in the UK, it was in France, I was confused.

10. [[something read in the waiting room at Heathrow in April, but I cannot remember what it was. It involved a half-breed vampire, and was the first in a trilogy. meh]]
11. Mark Twain Autobiography, 2010 edition.
12. The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest -- steig Larsson
13. The Pursuit of Love-- Nancy Mitford
14. Love in a Cold Climate-- Nancy Mitford
15. Call Me Irresistable- Susan Elizabeth Phillips
16. The Last Dragon Slayer--- Jasper Fforde
17. Room-- Elizabeth Donoghue
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 10:00:56 PM by va_vacious »

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #132 on: September 10, 2011, 10:06:51 PM »

1. Bossypants - Tina Fey (awesome)
2. Sex on the Moon - Ben Mezrich (also pretty good)

3. Robopocalypse - Daniel Wilson (I wanted to read it before Spielberg makes the movie. It's a good read, but I'm not sure if much separates this from iRobot or any other robitics gone rogue story.)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #133 on: September 19, 2011, 10:31:27 AM »

1 Dave Haslam - Young Hearts Run Free - The Real Story of the 1970s
2 Stieg Larsson - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest
3 David Sheppard - On Some Faraway Beach: The Life & Times of Brian Eno
4 Dawn French - Dear Fatty
5 David Nicholls - One Day
6 John Peel - The Olivetti Chronicles - Three Decades of Life and Music
7 Vic Reeves - Me:Moir - Volume One
8 Dean Budnick & Josh Baron - Ticket Masters: The Rise of the Concert Industry and How the Public Got Scalped
9 Mark Radcliffe - Thank You for the Days - A Boy's Own Adventures in Radio and Beyond
10 Humphrey Lyttelton - It Just Occurred to Me - The reminiscences & thoughts of Chairman Humph
Humourous biog from UK jazz musician and broadcaster
Opulence. I has it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #134 on: September 20, 2011, 09:11:30 AM »

1. Life - Keith Richards
2. Thanks for Nothing - Jack Dee
3. Boy Island - Camden Joy
4. Hitler: 1936-1945 Nemesis - Ian Kershaw
5. Shiprocked: Life on the Waves of Radio Caroline - Steve Conway
6. White Collar Woman - Nicholas Maze
7. Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History of Punk - Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain
8. Just Kids: Patti Smith's Life with Robert Mapplethorpe - Patti Smith
9. The Last Mad Surge of Youth - Mark Hodkinson.
10. Dear Fatty - Dawn French

Wow, I haven't posted in this thread since June and now I can't remember what I've read since then, except for:
11. See a Little Light: The Bob Mould Story - Bob Mould and Michael Azerrad

Currently reading:
12. Thank You For The Days - Mark Radcliffe
Duct tape can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15   Go Up