Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: New Fall TV Shows 2011  (Read 11468 times)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
Re: New Fall TV Shows 2011
« Reply #105 on: November 16, 2011, 08:36:13 AM »

What the hell is up with Britta's rack this year?  It started with Annie last year, but now both her and Annie always have some awesome boob action going every show.  Not that I mind, necessarily..  but did Gillian Jacobs demand equal rack time or something?
HAHAHAAHAH. In Hollywood, I'm sure that's a common demand.

I've heard people ranting and raving about that Childish Gambino album but I can't get behind Glover's flow. The one song I watched him perform on LJNF made me think he was trying WAAAAAAAAAAAY too hard to sound like Lil Wayne. That is SO not what I want from him. But, maybe that's the only track that sounds like that? I'm not sure. I would think that he would have some very clever lyrics. So, I am intrigued enough to give it a listen, but I'm not expecting much.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 08:35:36 AM by c-lando »
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #106 on: November 16, 2011, 09:47:27 AM »

I've heard people ranting and raving about that Childish Gambino album but I can't get behind Glover's flow. The one song I watched him perform on LJNF

Late Jight with Nimmy Fallon?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #107 on: November 16, 2011, 09:51:56 AM »

Late Jimmy Night Fallon?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »

LNJF. Sheesh.

rva

« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2011, 11:18:19 AM »

Really?  See, I'm really enjoying this season of the office.

I like Andy as boss, because while he's kind of a screw-up he TRIES to do the right thing, and the employees generally like him.  Steve Carrell was just stupidly whacky the last three or four seasons.  I also really like James Spader as the uber-boss.  Because he's totally intimidating and weird, and yet he's super-competent with the mindgames and gets stuff done.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2011, 11:25:12 AM »

What RVA said.

I will say that I don't like the way they've turned Erin into a complete nincompoop.  I mean, yeah, she's an airhead and that works... but the whole thing last week with Andy wanting her to feign an important call and her thinking it was appropriate for the fake call to be the police calling to tell him his mother was dead was ridiculous.  It was uncomfortable comedy, which is what they were going for, but they could find ways to do that without being unrealistic to that degree.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:27:37 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

rva

« Reply #111 on: November 16, 2011, 11:27:10 AM »

What the hell is up with Britta's rack this year?  It started with Annie last year, but now both her and Annie always have some awesome boob action going every show.  Not that I mind, necessarily..  but did Gillian Jacobs demand equal rack time or something?
HAHAHAAHAH. In Hollywood, I'm sure that's a commond demand.

I've heard people ranting and raving about that Childish Gambino album but I can't get behind Glover's flow. The one song I watched him perform on LJNF made me think he was trying WAAAAAAAAAAAY too hard to sound like Lil Wayne. That is SO not what I want from him. But, maybe that's the only track that sounds like that? I'm not sure. I would think that he would have some very clever lyrics. So, I am intrigued enough to give it a listen, but I'm not expecting much.

Yeah, there's two songs on there where he definitely tries to sound like Lil' Wayne.  But mostly he tries to sound like Kanye West.

It's like he's really smart and pop-culture literate so he wants to prove that to you.  But he can also rap really well so he wants to prove that to you, too.  But he also doesn't want to be pigeon-holed as a backpacker so he wants to prove he's hard.  But then he doesn't want to be just another one of those gangsta rappers so he wants to show he can flow about anything and he wants to prove THAT as well.  Plus he wants to sing.  And have awesome production.  And he's very, very angry at having to prove all this (which no one asked him to do).

So essentially a Kanye rip-off.  The beats are kind of 808/Dark Twisted Fantasy era, and the lyrics are College Dropout era.  The problem of course, is that Kanye West already did this, and Kanye West is truly a musical genius, and even then people are already kind of sick of West's whole 'tude.

It's not like Glover/Gambino doesn't have skills.  It's just that he has nothing to say.  It's not laughably bad rap in a Shaq way.  That would actually kind be more interesting.  It's bad in the mundane MC-trying-way-too-hard way.

I cannot for the life of me get why it seems to be getting so many positive reviews.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #112 on: November 16, 2011, 12:56:56 PM »

Really?  See, I'm really enjoying this season of the office.

I like Andy as boss, because while he's kind of a screw-up he TRIES to do the right thing, and the employees generally like him.  Steve Carrell was just stupidly whacky the last three or four seasons.  I also really like James Spader as the uber-boss.  Because he's totally intimidating and weird, and yet he's super-competent with the mindgames and gets stuff done.

I'm about ready to kill it from the DVR.  Maybe I'm just sick of all the characters.  But it seems to me to be going nowhere, and hasn't been for a while.

The only laughs I got out of last week were Dwight berating the old man who was trying to use the blood pressure monitor.  Spader inviting his buddies to take over the band was pretty boring as plots go.  Most of the characters have turned into caricatures of themselves.  Oscar is secretly gay.  Kevin is an idiot.  Erin is an idiot.  Hell, MOST of them are idiots.

The whole "entire office takes Ed Helms' character to get a tattoo" was almost enough to make me delete the series then and there.  But I guess at some point you watch something not because it is funny, but because it is comfortable and routine.  That is where I'm at with The Office right now.  I liked Spader at first, but it seems like he is just the personification of a plot device... he is responsible for all the mayhem that trickles down through Ed Helms to the rest of the office.  Meh.

rva

« Reply #113 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:19 PM »

I'm with you guys on the Erin character really kind of sucking about now.

But I think everyone else has become *less* of a caricature, except maybe Dwight.  Without Steve Carrell, they are focusing more on the rest of the cast.  And like I said, it really helps that we get to see them actually accomplish shit or at at least TRY once in a while, even if only for selfish reasons.   Because before it was like why would any of them work want to work here and why would anyone hire them?

c-lando

• City Elder
« Reply #114 on: November 16, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »

HAHAHAAHAH. In Hollywood, I'm sure that's a commond demand.

Yeah, there's two songs on there where he definitely tries to sound like Lil' Wayne.  But mostly he tries to sound like Kanye West.

It's like he's really smart and pop-culture literate so he wants to prove that to you.  But he can also rap really well so he wants to prove that to you, too.  But he also doesn't want to be pigeon-holed as a backpacker so he wants to prove he's hard.  But then he doesn't want to be just another one of those gangsta rappers so he wants to show he can flow about anything and he wants to prove THAT as well.  Plus he wants to sing.  And have awesome production.  And he's very, very angry at having to prove all this (which no one asked him to do).

So essentially a Kanye rip-off.  The beats are kind of 808/Dark Twisted Fantasy era, and the lyrics are College Dropout era.  The problem of course, is that Kanye West already did this, and Kanye West is truly a musical genius, and even then people are already kind of sick of West's whole 'tude.

It's not like Glover/Gambino doesn't have skills.  It's just that he has nothing to say.  It's not laughably bad rap in a Shaq way.  That would actually kind be more interesting.  It's bad in the mundane MC-trying-way-too-hard way.

I cannot for the life of me get why it seems to be getting so many positive reviews.
This sums up what I was a fraid of with the album release.
But, I still want to touch his butt.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #115 on: November 16, 2011, 02:26:24 PM »

I'm with you guys on the Erin character really kind of sucking about now.

But I think everyone else has become *less* of a caricature, except maybe Dwight.  Without Steve Carrell, they are focusing more on the rest of the cast.  And like I said, it really helps that we get to see them actually accomplish shit or at at least TRY once in a while, even if only for selfish reasons.   Because before it was like why would any of them work want to work here and why would anyone hire them?

Every episode this season has been "Andy (is trying to impress / gets a directive from) Robert California, then wackiness ensues when he tries to meet his expectations."  Unless I missed one (which perusing the Episode List, I did... "Lotto" which came on during my week-long TV blackout period when I moved).

rva

« Reply #116 on: November 16, 2011, 02:59:07 PM »

Yeah, I suppose that's a fair criticism.  I could see how that leads to a certain boring sameness.

I guess for me, I'm totally okay with that being the general underlying theme for the show because it's "The Office" and that is mostly what people actually do in an office.  You run into some random work-shit storm or crazy request from your superior

How many eps have there been this season... 5?  Maybe 1 out of every 4 should be something different.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #117 on: November 16, 2011, 09:13:45 PM »

What the hell is up with Britta's rack this year?  It started with Annie last year, but now both her and Annie always have some awesome boob action going every show.  Not that I mind, necessarily..  but did Gillian Jacobs demand equal rack time or something?

Man foul.  Big time.

The only manly answer is "Of course I don't mind at all, but thank the heavens and all that is holy."
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #118 on: November 17, 2011, 08:21:32 AM »

What RVA said.

I will say that I don't like the way they've turned Erin into a complete nincompoop.  I mean, yeah, she's an airhead and that works... but the whole thing last week with Andy wanting her to feign an important call and her thinking it was appropriate for the fake call to be the police calling to tell him his mother was dead was ridiculous.  It was uncomfortable comedy, which is what they were going for, but they could find ways to do that without being unrealistic to that degree.

I think Erin is actually smarter this season.  She's always been SUPER stupid
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #119 on: November 17, 2011, 10:07:03 AM »

"Your mom died," is not super stupid?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up