Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Amazon Kindle Fire  (Read 5331 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Amazon Kindle Fire
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:19:17 PM »

Looks like things are getting interesting in the tablet world.  The Kindle Fire looks like it's going to heat* things up a bit.  I think it's got a lot of down sides since they've developed a forked version of android for their own needs which is heavily reliant on Amazon based content and is tethered to Amazon's cloud service (no SD or even micro SD slot).  But that price is attractive, compared to other devices.  I will be interested to see how Barnes and Noble responds, pricing wise, since the Nook color is easily rooted to run on the stock Android OS bypassing the Nook specific Android OS.

I had heard earlier that the price would be $249 and would include free membership in Amazon Prime... maybe that will still happen.

*See what I did there?  Heat?  Fire? Wakka, wakka.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
Re: Amazon Kindle Fire
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:32:08 PM »

According to Amazon, it will be $199. If you have Amazon Prime, you'll get unlimited, instant streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV shows.

Why did I just buy a nook Color last month? Since then, my library has announced they'll have Kindle eBooks available in October and now this - which is $50 less. Oh, well. At least I have a micro SD slot.

ETA: I also missed that they'd dropped the price on the other models. And are coming out with a touch version of the e-ink version. Very interesting.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 05:34:33 PM by Ella Minnow Pea »
also known as rcc94

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 09:29:22 PM »

I'm holding off judgement until I know more about their version of Android.  They are forking it and doing a custom version, so I have no idea what will actually be in it.  The custom browser makes me think the standard android apps (mail, maps, calendar, etc) won't be included.  Also, they talk a lot about it having the Amazon market, but there has been no mention if you can use the regular android market.  If you can't access the regular Android market and can't sideload apps, it will be fairly limited.  Hopefully this won't be an issue.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:13:18 AM »

Also, they talk a lot about it having the Amazon market, but there has been no mention if you can use the regular android market.

It's been mentioned plenty, just not by Amazon, you won't be able to get to it, period... unless there's some way to root it.  Which I'm sure means that you won't be able to get to any other media players, Netflix etc. etc.  You're stuck with Amazon... which is exactly what they want.

ETA: Well, I could be wrong after all, a quick search of the Android market shows that they have Songbird, Winamp and other music players available.  Don't know where you'd store the tunes though.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 08:16:02 AM by Kwyjibo »

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:53:12 PM »

Why did I just buy a nook Color last month? Since then, my library has announced they'll have Kindle eBooks available in October and now this - which is $50 less. Oh, well. At least I have a micro SD slot.

So you could give it to me and buy yourself the new toy! How else would I get ANY technology? (TV- from Ella, DVD player- from Ella, old VCR- from Ella, mp3 player- from Ella, laptop- from Ella...)

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 08:17:30 PM »

It will have a usb port... so technically you could have a LOT of extra storage since they already market 64GB flash drives.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011, 08:06:29 AM »

I know that wouldn't work with my android phone.  You can mount it to a PC and copy files as a mass storage device but you couldn't use a flash drive as an external memory source.  Not sure if that'll be a capability or not.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 08:07:51 AM »

So you could give it to me and buy yourself the new toy! How else would I get ANY technology? (TV- from Ella, DVD player- from Ella, old VCR- from Ella, mp3 player- from Ella, laptop- from Ella...)

Or you could probably find a friend in SW Ohio that would actually give you money for it. :)

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »

Shut yo' mouth, Kwyjibo! I've got her trained at this point!

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2011, 11:36:56 PM »

Well, my next electronics purchase will be a new Droid (on 11/10/11), so it will be several months after that if I do decide to get one.
also known as rcc94

va-vacious

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 01:39:35 AM »

I've waited this long, what's a few more months?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 02:25:58 PM »

Well, it's been out a while, anybody else have a Fire?  Mine just arrived today.  Haven't played with it much yet, no wifi access at work so I can't even set it up until I get home.

Doug

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 10:17:03 AM »

The wife is interested in getting one, so I look forward to your full review. ;)

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 10:36:12 AM »

Well, it's been out a while, anybody else have a Fire? 

We got my mom one for Christmas so I learned how to use it in order to teach her.  I liked it a lot for the price.  The only real criticism I can think of is that the keyboard can be a little funky on the small screen, but I'm sure it's fine when you get used to it.  I remember when researching them that the two main cons people had with it were the lack of bluetooth capability and the lack of a camera, which I guess most other tablets have.  I wouldn't utilize either of those personally, but I'm not the biggest techie either, never owned a a smartphone, etc.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 03:33:29 PM »

What about the new Kindle Touch? I heard it's supposed to have a touchscreen, audio, and a two-month battery life. I'm not sure how all three of those things are possible unless the thing is the thickness of an actual book, but there we go.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up