Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you know your countries?  (Read 8344 times)

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Do you know your countries?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »

Dan, you must have heard of Sporcle?

Yes, of course! And so has everyone else...so much so that it's blocked at work. Booo. Jetpunk is a fabulous replacement though.

Predot

• Summer Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 03:35:38 PM »

http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/how-many-countries-can-you-name.php

I'm at 195 out of 196 at the moment. I've been taking this test once or twice a day for the past two weeks and my score has steadily improved, but I can't seem to put it all together.

When I did the Sporcle quiz (I eventually got 'em all), I'm pretty sure it was 194. What's new to the world map besides South Sudan?

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 04:43:41 PM »

Dan, you must have heard of Sporcle?

Yes, of course! And so has everyone else...so much so that it's blocked at work. Booo. Jetpunk is a fabulous replacement though.
Hah, ok, I see. Hope they've blocked TV Tropes, too - for productivity's sake!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 08:57:50 PM »

I'm at 195 out of 196 at the moment. I've been taking this test once or twice a day for the past two weeks and my score has steadily improved, but I can't seem to put it all together.

When I did the Sporcle quiz (I eventually got 'em all), I'm pretty sure it was 194. What's new to the world map besides South Sudan?

It's hard to answer that without seeing the sporcle quiz. I doubt there's a new country - it's probably just how the quizmaker defined "country" which is sometimes harder to define than you'd think. This one claims it's all "sovereign" countries but I don't know. Probably an island in the South Pacific? Or maybe another breakup in the former Yugoslav states? Ooooh, yeah, I bet it's Kosovo, which is definitely in the jetpunk quiz. Was that in sporcle?

Predot

• Summer Resident
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 09:24:36 PM »

It's hard to answer that without seeing the sporcle quiz. I doubt there's a new country - it's probably just how the quizmaker defined "country" which is sometimes harder to define than you'd think. This one claims it's all "sovereign" countries but I don't know. Probably an island in the South Pacific? Or maybe another breakup in the former Yugoslav states? Ooooh, yeah, I bet it's Kosovo, which is definitely in the jetpunk quiz. Was that in sporcle?

That was Predot Jr's guess. I know I took the quiz after Kosovo became a country (2008), but I don't know when the old one was written (the new one has 196, like the linked quiz), and I can't recall whether Kosovo was in the old one.

I've never tried the world capitals one. I suspect my son would still get all 196, though he's been off the competitive geography circuit for awhile so he may have slipped some.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 11:37:20 PM »

though he's been off the competitive geography circuit for awhile

I bet that one has a ton of mileage with the ladies.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Predot

• Summer Resident
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »

though he's been off the competitive geography circuit for awhile

I bet that one has a ton of mileage with the ladies.

More than you know. The upper-level geography competitions would be classified as testosterone-fueled shitshows if they weren't populated by the least testosteroni of the male species.

He qualified for the National Geographic Bee two straight years. The first year's field featured 53 boys and 2 girls. The following year, 53 boys and 1 girl (Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands were represented separately in 2009, then consolidated into a single "Atlantic Territories" in 2010).

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2012, 10:06:51 AM »

Hahahaha. That's some hilarious stuff.

Anyway, I tried the World Capitals one once. My score was VERY low, but I don't remember what it was. I mean, not only do you have to know your countries (well, not technically, but ya kinda do) you have to know cities within them. We've all heard of Khazakstan, but who knows anything else about it?

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »

More than you know. The upper-level geography competitions would be classified as testosterone-fueled shitshows if they weren't populated by the least testosteroni of the male species.

He qualified for the National Geographic Bee two straight years. The first year's field featured 53 boys and 2 girls. The following year, 53 boys and 1 girl (Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands were represented separately in 2009, then consolidated into a single "Atlantic Territories" in 2010).

Testosteroni

To be fair, the vast majority of stereotypes are based on a foundation of truth.  Nerdy events are usually sausage-fests.

Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »

wow.  i've been incredibly unproductive these past few weeks thanks to these quizzes.  though at least my geography is improving.  this is my new hobby.  my license plate collection is taking a back seat
poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 11:08:34 AM »

I've been working on the Capitals Quiz.

http://www.jetpunk.com/quizzes/name-world-capitals.php

It's tough. Like, quite tough. I'm up to 142, which is really good in my mind, but I've only progressed that far from the 100 or 110 that I knew on my first try. So it's not much improvement.

I suggest all yall have some learning the name of a capital city in a country you've barely heard of.

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 11:11:05 PM »

On my first try, I got 93 which is only slightly better than average (beats 56.6% of test takers) which leads me to believe that a lot of Americans are not taking this test. Africa killed me. I got Niger but forgot Nigeria. But I pat myself on the back for getting Liechtenstein and Burkino Faso.

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 10:48:15 AM »

OK, I've been trying the countries quiz for a while. I've steadily improved but I seem to have plateaued around 165-170. There are probably at least another 10 countries that I know but I can't seem to recall in time. Africa and Oceania are killing me.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2012, 06:01:25 PM »

I did the Africa quiz on its own for a while. That was helpful in learning just those, and then going back to the whole world.

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »

Finally. 196/196. Got Cameroon and Comoros with 9 seconds left.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up