Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Random comic thoughts  (Read 13708 times)

rva

Random comic thoughts
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:29:20 PM »

"The Unknown" is a pretty bad title for a comic book.  It's not really very zippy, nor descriptive. 

But more importantly, it's a hard term to search for on google.  "Unknown" is to vague, and "Unknown comic--" is a whole 'nother thing.

Nate

• Kevin Durant's baby mama.
  • City Elder
  • Best Album Never Made.
    • Randomville
Re: Random comic thoughts
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »

Is it worth picking up the comic version of The Walking Dead?  All of them?
Each day you have a choice - hilarity or insanity.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:32 AM »

Yes, it is definitely worth it.  I am enjoying the TV series, but so far it can't hold a candle to the comic. 

On an unrelated note, I think I have determined there are 2 people in comics that I will buy anything they do.  Those people are Brian Wood and Kieron Gillen.  Everything I have read by either man has just been incredible.  Gillen even got me to start being X-Men again, after I had sworn off the main series a few years ago.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

rva

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2011, 01:15:11 PM »

Aww, man.  If you like reading comics on your iPad/iPhone Comixology had the entire series for half-off right before the second season opener.  You would have saved a crap ton.

It's a pretty good comic, but I never got into it for just that reason.  I read one, put it down, then read another one like 30 issues later.  And by that point you have to spend like $40 on the graphic novels to catch up and I didn't feel like it.  It'd probably cost you $100 by now. 

I guess it's worth it.  The weird thing is if I'd started at the beginning and paid per issue, I'd have spent more money than it would take to get the graphic novels.  But it feels like a couple bucks a month, which is a lot different than staring $100 gone right away.

But anyway, that's my comics policy.  I either start a comic/arc at the beginning or at least by issue 5, or I wait until the whole thing is done and five years later they make a megabox of the whole thing.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2011, 01:28:53 PM »

I have a pdf of the comics that I "acquired", I'd be happy to share...
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2012, 11:24:27 AM »

i'm wondering what the story is here.....
I have a pdf of the comics that I "acquired", I'd be happy to share...

i haven't checked this forum that much but am a little bit of a comic geek (old school).

BTW, has anyone caught kevin smith's comic book men on AMC? i've seen some episodes on line....it wasn't bad.
bongo hard or bongo home

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2012, 06:06:52 PM »

can i tell jokes i made up here?  ok

someone said i was smart.  i replied, 'don't mensa it.'

what do you call it when an octopus is having trouble with a radio?  tentacle difficulties. 

so i said to the person seated to my right on an airplane, "don't you hate it when the person next to you talks to you?" 
poach eggs, not elephants

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2012, 06:32:09 PM »

i've got a few more, since were on the subject

i just made this one up

so i went to the barber shop around the corner.  it's a black barbershop.  i said, " keep it long up top and short on the side."  i saw the result and was pissed as i had beautiful long blond hair.  i wound up with a fade when i envisioned a mohawk.  that's probably not funny

so my buddy said he wanted to be a stand up comedian.  i said that was the funniest thing he's ever said

i was at a bar in milwaukee with my cousin and best friend.  my cousin said, "i just turned 23, i'm a teacher and i just bought a house.  my best friend said, "i bought a house at 25 and now i own a business at 31.  i took a gulp of my beer and laughed, "i'm 29 and have two cats!" 

nothing's more embarrassing than having to angle to a side of the urinal as a kid posts up next to you in fear of his penis being bigger than yours. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:22 PM »

We have a jokes thread. You needn't pollute the comic thread..... ooooooh, I just got it.

Haha.

Very funny.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 03:04:16 PM »

gotcha.  shalt go and pollute elsewhere

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:08:16 PM »

We have a jokes thread. You needn't pollute the comic thread..... ooooooh, I just got it.

Haha.

Very funny.

kindly point me in the right direction, good sir you.  having difficulties finding the correct avenue to express my opposite angst. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »

You're right...I'm having a hard time finding it, too. Maybe it was deleted?

Start one!

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2012, 11:30:54 AM »

maybe i will!

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

How many comic people do we have on this board that actually get weekly pull lists or at least go to the comic store weekly or a few times a month?

For the past few years I've toiled with the idea of getting back into comics.  I stopped about 5-6 years ago, and then we had a tiny comic shop open up here in town (that only lasted 6 months or so).  I couldn't help but support the store so I ended up picking up and reading Grant Morrison's Batman RIP arc and then the first 5 issues or so of the rebooted Batman & Robin.  I've always been more of a DC guy, and I initially stopped reading right around Identity Crisis, which I also enjoyed.  I never touched much Marvel, but I liked the original Ultimate Spider-Man run, though I get the impression that that isn't a cool opinion among serious fans.  So basically my monthly hauls were a select few DC books and then some indie stuff ... I was really enjoying Kirkman's Invincible but I remember it going downhill around when I stopped.  Isn't someone actually reprinting the original TMNT series right now?  That's awesome.

So, I realize I'm not being very broad, but if I was to get back into comics, anyone have any recommendations for some can't miss books?  Or some key graphic novels I could pick up at the library to fill that gap from 2005 or so until now?  I realize I'm not being very broad in my tastes, but then again, it was never very broad to begin with.  Also, where do you Cincinnatians shop?  Back in the day I would go to the Comic Book World in Cheviot.  It's renamed now and just not that great.  The best one I ever went to was the Queen City Comics on route 4 (I've actually never been to the original).

twentyshots, I'm looking at you, buddy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 01:40:12 PM by cyclone »
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:29 PM »

Irredeemable and Incorruptible both finish up in May at around 35 issues, so they would probably both make for a good graphic novel collection maybe coming out later this year.

I have the Comix application for my iPad so I buy a couple comics now and again but for the most part, they're just way too expensive.  I don't know too many collectors nowadays.  The few people I know who still read comics on a regular basis all "acquire" them Kwyjibo-style.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up