Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comic Books for People who don't really like comics  (Read 5881 times)

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
Comic Books for People who don't really like comics
« on: May 03, 2004, 01:42:51 AM »

Does that make sense?  I would sort of place myself in this category.  I got introduced to the world of comic books in college by my then-boyfriend, now-husband.  He LOVES comics, but our comics tastes do not intersect much at all.  I like autobio stuff a lot and also real world angsty stuff.  The only remotely super hero-esque stuff I've ever liked were Death and Sandman Mystery Theatre.  

So, does anybody want to talk about Adrian Tomine's Optic Nerve with me?  Or, I also recently discovered Joe Matt's Peepshow, and, in spite of myself, I like it A LOT.  Of course, I love Daniel Clowes (this is the only comics interest my husband and I share).  I used to read Strangers in Paradise, but it all just got completely ridiculous and irritating and overly self-important.  I also read Naughty Bits from time to time.  But mostly, I just like the Bitchy Bitch stuff in it.  Anybody else?

wpai

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 01:52:19 AM »

I smell an article. . .

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 10:41:01 AM »

Quote from: "wpai"
I smell an article. . .

Totally.

I haven't read much Optic Nerve, but I have many recommendations to make if you're looking for more autobio, talking heads or relationship comics.

Check out Sean McKeever and Mike Norton's The Waiting Place for a good read about small town woes.

Andi Watson's Love Fights is a great book set in a world where superheroes exist, it's centered around the relationship of a guy and girl whose lives somehow involve said superheroes. The guy is a comic book artist and the girl is a journalist for a gossip rag.

If you want a ridiculously drawn out love story, you can check out Stylish Vittles. I think I'm actually gonna review that, so I won't go into much detail, but there have been two graphic novels released, and a third is on its way, all dealing with one short-lived relationship.

Paul Horschemeier's Mother, Come Home is a collection of his Forlorn Funnies books that focuses on how a father and son cope differently with the loss of the family's mother. Gripping and sad.

Craig Thompson's Blankets sounds like it might be up your alley. Go check out my article right here on randomville.com, The Short List for a quick review of it.

I could go on, but I wanna review some of this stuff.

Marlowe

• foppish twit
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 08:00:12 PM »

I dunno if this fits the category, but i'm just curious... have any of you read the Escapist comic book, and if so what do you think?  Dunno if it's good, but it's a really cool idea -- making a real comic book out of a fictional comic book portrayed in a novel. I just finished the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, from whence the Escapist came, and it was a really fun read.

redbobsled

• Procrastinator Extraordinaire!
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 02:35:19 AM »

Quote from: "Scott"

Craig Thompson's Blankets sounds like it might be up your alley. Go check out my article right here on randomville.com, The Short List for a quick review of it.

I just finished Blankets, actually, and I really, really liked it a lot.  It had particular resonance for me because I dated a born again Christian when I was in high school (I was an atheist at the time).  

Thanks for the other recs, I will check them out.  God knows I get dragged into enough comic book stores.  It will give me something to look for!

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2004, 10:59:22 PM »

I love Daniel Clowes comics!  I've heard a rumor he is going to write some more Eightball.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Redbobsled, check out www.lacklusterworld.com it's a book a friend of mine is working on.  It has a preview of the first, I think, sixteen pages to see if you like it.  It's the first in a series of seven or eight dark/satire comedy comic books.  Check it out if you've got the time.

BT, I picked up one of Paul's smaller misc. sketch comics at SPACE.  He's a talented guy.    Upon your recommendation I may have to check out Mother, Come Home.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 06:30:56 AM »

Quote from: "Atzend"
I love Daniel Clowes comics!  I've heard a rumor he is going to write some more Eightball.  I'll keep everyone posted.

Redbobsled, check out www.lacklusterworld.com it's a book a friend of mine is working on.  It has a preview of the first, I think, sixteen pages to see if you like it.  It's the first in a series of seven or eight dark/satire comedy comic books.  Check it out if you've got the time.

BT, I picked up one of Paul's smaller misc. sketch comics at SPACE.  He's a talented guy.    Upon your recommendation I may have to check out Mother, Come Home.

Are you Jessica? Man, I'm having a hard time picking up on who's who from the woxy boards.

I plan to read Lackluster World tonight. I may well do a review of it.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 03:09:08 PM »

Yup!

Let me know when the review is up.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 05:03:12 PM »

I figured that out about a week ago, silly. :)

AllanM

• Summer Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 10:43:51 AM »

Hey, just wanted to throw another recommendation for auto-bio comics for people who don't like comics:  Clumsy and Unlikely by Jeffrey Brown.

My girlfriend isn't a comics fan, but when we were at Chicago Comics, she picked up Clumsy and read a few pages and just started laughing.  A few more pages, she gasped, and said, "Boobies!"  She decided right there to pick it up, and she's been a diehard Jeffrey Brown fan ever since.

Both Clumsy and Unlikely are about the author's relationships -- one is his first major relationship and the other is the first love of his life.  Highly recommended, especially if you liked Blankets.

Bronzetree

• Punching Bag
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 03:03:47 PM »

I'll have to pick those up. Been meaning to for quite some time, just haven't for whatever reason.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
Re: Comic Books for People who don't really like comics
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 11:01:41 PM »

And over a decade later my buddy Eric finally finished his comic book series, Lackluster World, and is doing a Kickstarter to compile it into a hardcover book. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ericadams/lackluster-world-hardcover-graphic-novel

And Eightball is finally being reissued into one big expensive book, too!

Pages: [1]   Go Up