Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Random comic thoughts  (Read 15316 times)

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: Random comic thoughts
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 08:34:07 AM »

The Killing Joke was quite good. Loved the art in particular. I swear Christopher Nolan read this before or while making The Dark Knight. I could hear Christian Bale's voice in some of Batman's lines in the book.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:08 AM »

I swear Christopher Nolan read this before or while making The Dark Knight.

He did.  I remember reading that he gave it to Ledger to study prior to the filming.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 12:28:27 PM »

I swear Christopher Nolan read this before or while making The Dark Knight.

He did.  I remember reading that he gave it to Ledger to study prior to the filming.
Oh, thank god! I was hoping it wasn't the voices in my head. Again.

Gigabiteme

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »

Excellent haul a page back there, twenty.

I'm one of those who has "acquired" his pull list for the last couple years. And that has even dwindled down to pretty much just Walking Dead at this point. I just don't have the same amount of time to read as I used to, and it got hard to keep up with my faves.

But several years ago, I was able to "acquire" entire runs of some of my faves like Avengers, Fantastic Four, Justice League, Marvel Team-Up and several others. Put 'em on discs and have read them here and there over the years. I still have all my comics, though. Thirty long boxes full. I'd love to unload them sooner than later. They just don't carry the same emotional attachment they used to, so if I can get some dough out of them, awesome.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 11:10:27 PM »

Excellent haul a page back there, twenty.

I'm one of those who has "acquired" his pull list for the last couple years. And that has even dwindled down to pretty much just Walking Dead at this point. I just don't have the same amount of time to read as I used to, and it got hard to keep up with my faves.

But several years ago, I was able to "acquire" entire runs of some of my faves like Avengers, Fantastic Four, Justice League, Marvel Team-Up and several others. Put 'em on discs and have read them here and there over the years. I still have all my comics, though. Thirty long boxes full. I'd love to unload them sooner than later. They just don't carry the same emotional attachment they used to, so if I can get some dough out of them, awesome.
thanks. still reading them (and will be for awhile).

30 long boxes?!! damn! that's almost a whole shop....
bongo hard or bongo home

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2013, 11:39:01 PM »

Chespo

• Tourist
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »

Anybody reading Brian K. Vaughan's new pay-what-you-want download comic, The Private Eye?

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2013, 09:49:29 PM »

Anybody reading Brian K. Vaughan's new pay-what-you-want download comic, The Private Eye?

Yup. Or rather, I plan to read it once I am finished with the Gender Through Comic Books online course.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2013, 07:58:58 AM »

Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2013, 02:17:39 PM »

suggestion: LAZARUS by greg rucka, michael lark, and santiago arcas.

issue four just came out and the series is very good. it is about a dark and dystopian future where government has vanished and the military has been absorbed into different families who have retained all the power. the source of family power is FOOD, who has it and how they control it. if you aren't a family member, you either work for them or are considered waste.
each family also has a LAZARUS, a partially bio-engineered badass protector that is tough to kill. forever carlyle is the lazarus of the carlyle family, subjects of the book's main arc, and she is magnificent. writing and ideology is well thought out and the art is fantastic. you will like.

bongo hard or bongo home

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #41 on: July 31, 2014, 08:37:43 AM »

finally got to reading this. excellent, disturbing and artistically substantial (10 years in the making).

bongo hard or bongo home

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #42 on: July 31, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »

Is the art and writing done by the same person?  The art reminds me of Daniel Clowes.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #43 on: July 31, 2014, 10:32:10 AM »

Yeah, they are kind of similar.  Clowes is more cartoon-y/ugly, maybe. 

Clowes and Burns were/are the two big indie comics illustrators of Gen-x.  Burns did the album cover for Iggy Pop's Brick by Brick.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2014, 01:31:52 PM »

That's right.  Funny, I'd forgotten that both of them did art for OK Cola back in the 90's.  I remembered Clowes did, but I'd forgotten there were others.

Did anybody else ever try that stuff?  I thought it was pretty good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up