Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Siouxsie & The Banshees 20 disc box set coming  (Read 1668 times)

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
Siouxsie & The Banshees 20 disc box set coming
« on: November 03, 2011, 02:17:48 PM »

Interesting for a band that only had 11 studio albums.  Remixes are out, but all singles tracks and BBC recordings, and I assume some previously unreleased stuff.  Also to include a DVD of a complete show from '81.  No details yet, just Severin's facebook post here

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Siouxsie & The Banshees 20 disc box set coming
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »

Can't wait to see what CR has to say about that...
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 03:21:54 PM »

He's busy playing in his Hong Kong Garden at the moment to be able to address the issue.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 04:00:47 PM »

This is like, 10 discs short of what would really do them justice.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »

Fucking talentless up-her-own-arse bitch.

This smacks of throwing enough shit at a wall to see how much sticks.

I wish someone would throw her at a fucking wall.

If only to improve her fuck-ugly looks.

The box set should come with an self-administering overdose kit to save any buyers from having to listen to her screechy wailings.

Look up 'c*nt' in the dictionary and it's her picture as the definition

etc

etc
Opulence. I has it.

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 08:01:16 PM »

Fucking talentless up-her-own-arse bitch.

This smacks of throwing enough shit at a wall to see how much sticks.

I wish someone would throw her at a fucking wall.

If only to improve her fuck-ugly looks.

The box set should come with an self-administering overdose kit to save any buyers from having to listen to her screechy wailings.

Look up 'c*nt' in the dictionary and it's her picture as the definition

etc

etc

Um.  OK.

Seeing as to how I'm fairly new to these boards, I seem to have missed one or more previous discourses from you regarding Ms. Sioux and company.  Since I am somewhat of a fan of the band, I'm curious as to what about them sparked such passionate feelings.

Of course, I did not bother to actually look up the C-word in the dictionary, but that part of your post immediately brought to mind a bit from the show "30 Rock".  One of Liz's staff calls her one, and she tries to tell others what happened by saying "It rhymes with the name of your favorite Todd Rundgren album", and this guy replies, "It rhymes with Hermit of Mink Hollow"?

Ella Minnow Pea

• Numbers Guru
  • Administrator
  • City Elder
  • Reference Desk
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:06 PM »

Seeing as to how I'm fairly new to these boards, I seem to have missed one or more previous discourses from you regarding Ms. Sioux and company.  Since I am somewhat of a fan of the band, I'm curious as to what about them sparked such passionate feelings.
You'll find out that some of us loathe (which may be an understatement) a particular artist. We had a board crash a few years ago, but we managed to recover most of it - including our old torturethon events. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for this backstory: http://www.randomville.com/Board%20Cache/crpg1b.htm
also known as rcc94

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »

You'll find out that some of us loathe (which may be an understatement) a particular artist. We had a board crash a few years ago, but we managed to recover most of it - including our old torturethon events. Scroll down to the bottom of this page for this backstory: http://www.randomville.com/Board%20Cache/crpg1b.htm

That was quite an interesting story, and I would probably feel the same about her if that had happened to me.  But, it didn't, so it doesn't change how I feel about the band's music. 

CR's story does make me think of something I have learned the hard way: it is sometimes better not to meet your heroes, because they're probably going to be an asshole to you.  That isn't always the case, but it is enough to give me pause before approaching an artist I revere but have not spoken to before.  It's the ultimate kind of un-reciprocated love--you put them on a pedestal and they don't know, or care to know, you.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 10:02:11 PM »

Bubba, just ignore CRs rants about Siouxsie, or read them and laugh.  I always look forward to the day that I'm with CR and Siouxsie comes on the radio (or whatever else the music is playing on). 8)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 02:38:23 AM »

CR's story does make me think of something I have learned the hard way...
New entrants to the wonders of Randomville do need a little bit of a backstory to the rise and fall of this bitter old man known as Cockney Rebel..

I was lucky enough to be working for Virgin Retail back in the very early days of Virgin Retail. Back when they had but 13 stores in the UK and back when punk started off embryonically from the various pub rock bands that were already about. (I carry about an argument with me that Dr Feelgood were the first real punk band - and better it at than several hundred later pretenders to the throne, including, ironically, The Pretenders... but I digress...)

There's a book in here somewhere, but I was privileged to meet (and occassionally drink with) some of the now iconic movers and shakers of that period in musical history. Strummer, Dammers, Shelley, Vanian, Scabies, Sensible, Hell, Simenon, Matlock, TV Smith and the bloke from Eater are amongst the list, along with shameless punk wannabes like The Stranglers and a handful of reggae (in my mind) superstars. My book could be called "I once moved Joe Strummer's Amp" because, well, I once helped moved Joe Strummer's amp, specifically at the first of two shows - a matinee performance for an under-18 crowd no less - that The Clash played in my hometown of Southampton.

If I hadn't have been on the guest list for all the shows I saw back than I could now be a VERY rich man from just selling the ticket stubs to those I attended.

Most everyone I met seemed genuine, erudite, a worthy musician and artist, most of them committed to his or her artistry and this 'thing called punk'

All except one who was nothing - sorry to smash whatever illusion you have of her Bubba - but a fake manipulative talentless bandwagon-jumping chancer whose place in history is sadly assured because of her lucky appearance on one of British TV's event-changing moments (the Grundy/Pistols thing). The fact that she decided to then take herself seriously as a "rock star" shows what a deluded nonsensical bitch she was and still is.

In my mind SS is a mere punk-by-numbers fake old trollop who may as well have glued herself to Johnny Rotten's coat-tails for all the 'true punk' attitude she brought to the anarchic table at that time. Sadly, her star continued to shine longer than it ever should've done, possibly fuelled by some ferociously energetic knob gobbling of sundry Polydor Records personnel, media types and supermarket chiefs. This has granted her an unwarranted 'elder stateswoman' status and she is duly wheeled out whenever punk's story is (badly) told one more time.

But those of us in the know accept that her over 15-minutes of fame has been powered by little more than a faulty watch. Years after the PA debacle of which I ranted about for the torturethon event (I remain peculiarly proud of my "about as punk as Nancy fucking Reagan" remark btw) I was speaking to some people working on her (then new) album (Permit me to have forgotten the title - something like "Siouxsie shovels some more shit" I believe?... probably) and they merely reiterated my own impression of her. That she thought of herself as a true artist with crazy delusions of diva status... but with no discernible talent to back any of it up. Musically and morally bankrupt.

I certainly hope that this ludicrously OTT 20-CD box set represents the final dying breath of her utterly craptastic career and it is suitably titled something like "Kindling".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 05:11:59 AM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 05:11:20 AM »

PS: Bubba, you have my utter respect and admiration for listening to S**ux*** and for considering yourself a fan of her music.

In England you would probably be awarded a knighthood for your pain and suffering and/or for being so charitable.

Please don't take my remarks in any way personally.

FYI, there are some artists whose music I like but who, in real life, were/are absolute cnuts as well. Please step forward Van Morrison.
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up