Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness  (Read 1075 times)

rva

Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness
« on: November 15, 2011, 02:53:30 PM »

Hello crappy

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
Re: Los Campesinos! - Hello Sadness
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:52:01 PM »

I hate to be curmudgeonly, but I thought they were crappy from the start. Novel? Yes. Crappy? Also yes.

rva

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 01:55:16 PM »

Yeah, I kind of agree.  I just wanted to do a "Shit Sandwich" review.

I would say that Los Campesinos have a lot of stuff I don't care about, and then some stuff that is over-the-top pop cutesy and gets annoying.  But they also have a few moments where it all comes together and kinda gets me intrigued.  Like I think You! Me! Dancing! is a really good tune.

The major problem with this new album is not that they get too poppy-dancey, but that they don't get poppy at all.  It's all kind of moody numbers, and the band is not at all suited to that.  What makes it worse is you get the feeling they know this, so they all try way too hard to invest some kind of sad moodiness in it. 

The result is Dee Dee Campesino or whateverhisnameis gasp-hiccuping his way into just about every note.  It's like a superbad, super-annoying Robert Smith impersonation.

You might like it, though.  To be honest, it sounds a quite a bit like Black Kids.  I don't know why Black Kids don't really bother me but this really does, but maybe it's just me.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »

The result is Dee Dee Campesino

Please let this be his actual name.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 05:45:06 PM »

If anything, at least they scored in a Bud commercial.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »

You might like it, though.  To be honest, it sounds a quite a bit like Black Kids.  I don't know why Black Kids don't really bother me but this really does, but maybe it's just me.

Good memory - yes, I did like Black Kids on their initial EP and even the tracks I heard on their full-length. Then I never heard from them again. And I never liked Los Campesinos! despite recommendations from people I respect (I vaguely recall Nate possibly recommending them?). So maybe I'll give 'em another chance, but I'm probably not going out of my way.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2011, 10:27:49 PM »

i do like the song by your hand. haven't heard the rest of it. indifferent to previous stuff.
bongo hard or bongo home

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2011, 03:47:31 PM »

I didn't have enough patience to actually listen to this album all the way through.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2011, 04:58:01 PM »

I didn't have enough patience to actually listen to this album all the way through.
I quit after three songs. You?

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »

I quit after three songs. You?

Yeah, that's about as far as I got.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 01:50:24 PM »

Yeah, I kind of agree.  I just wanted to do a "Shit Sandwich" review.

I would say that Los Campesinos have a lot of stuff I don't care about, and then some stuff that is over-the-top pop cutesy and gets annoying.  But they also have a few moments where it all comes together and kinda gets me intrigued.  Like I think You! Me! Dancing! is a really good tune.

The major problem with this new album is not that they get too poppy-dancey, but that they don't get poppy at all.  It's all kind of moody numbers, and the band is not at all suited to that.  What makes it worse is you get the feeling they know this, so they all try way too hard to invest some kind of sad moodiness in it.  

The result is Dee Dee Campesino or whateverhisnameis gasp-hiccuping his way into just about every note.  It's like a superbad, super-annoying Robert Smith impersonation.

You might like it, though.  To be honest, it sounds a quite a bit like Black Kids.  I don't know why Black Kids don't really bother me but this really does, but maybe it's just me.
i listened to this again today and feel like your comments are spot-on.
and as maudlin as by your hand is, it's still a likeable song. perhaps because WFUV played the hell out of it but also because the chorus, and the bridge "i'm not sure if it's love anymore" manages to rise above chicocampesino's (or whatever his name is) deadening vocals. it helps that the girl chimes in also.

maybe if he wrote better lyrics or invoked a little more.....feeling of some kind....i'd like the rest of the album better.
bongo hard or bongo home

Wolverine

• Summer Resident
  • :snikt:
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2011, 09:50:24 AM »

Wow, just listened to the entire album on luisterpaal and the vocals and music just grind together. I really liked the 2007 ep Sticking Fingers into Sockets. That album started with We Throw Parties, You Throw Knives and the female singer uplifts the male lead vocal and clocking in at 2:19 may leave one wanting more. Don't Tell Me to Do the Math(s) is another fun little ditty and of course You! Me! Dancing! really highlights the ep with energy and fun. I do not hear any of those traits in this album.  Too bad.

heh heh
Pages: [1]   Go Up