Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random TV thoughts ...  (Read 124258 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random TV thoughts ...
« Reply #1560 on: July 10, 2019, 11:57:20 PM »

Great thoughts, thank you Dirk.

I guess my point was/is: is Euphoria an accurate reflection of today's 17 yr olds or just a fiction TV series. I'd still argue the latter. And I didn't like that fiction. But that's just me.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1561 on: July 11, 2019, 02:01:07 PM »

Glad to see that this season of Stranger Things stuck closer to the first season than the second. The only things I had issue with this time were Terminator Russian and Steve's relationship taking up too much time, but those are minor quibbles as compared to the search for Elle's mom/family which derailed a good chunk of last season.
I'm only I think 5 episodes in, but I think if anything they need more Steve. They could just drop all the other plot lines and do nothing but Steve. I would watch an entire show of him working at the mall, hitting on girls, and interacting with the boys. They can just rename it Stranger Things- Steve Harrington Edition and I would be happy.

Yeah, I'd be pretty happy with just a summer of Steve getting into some teen mall hijinks.  Also Dustin at camp.  Nancy and Jonathan at their job.  I actually wish they would slow play the whole thing and give us a season or half season that's full parody/homage to some different 80's teen movie trope.

As it is, to me the major problem with the third season is that really all of the main characters from the first two season stagnate.  They're just pretty weakly written, and their scenes almost feel like throw-ins just to advance the plot a little so we can get back to the "Scoops troop."  Also, those kids are starting to look too old for their roles.

I guess I'm weird, probably because I'm Gen X but I enjoy the nostalgia of Stranger Things more than the actual story.  So like Terminator dude, Jake Busey as a one-dimensional asshole with no real motivation for being that way, Hopper being kind dick-ish--- that stuff is sort of not good writing on its own, but it IS good writing for the show because it's not just a show set in the 80's, it's a homage to 80's shows.  So all those characters were familiar and funny to me.

That's why the El group of kids kinda sucked this season.  They were tasked this season with mostly having to do the sci-fi/horror/heavy battle scenes and that's the least fun part of the show for me.

They also ruined Maya Hawke/Robin for me, but fortunately not until nearly the end.  But that was a big bummer for me.  That reveal is something that would never have happened in an 80's movie/TV show.  IMO, it just totally killed the chemistry between her and Steve and then there was nowhere to go for them, and as a result their little ending scene sucked and made no sense.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1562 on: July 11, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »

(Note: 6 episodes in)

I agree with a bunch of that. There are too many characters that they feel compelled to continue with, while the Scoops Troop is the best part. I also like Winona Ryder's character, I guess, but felt that Hopper got a bit asshole-y and boring. Anyway, they were stuck trying to be something that they established in Season 1 and/or 2, but really they didn't want to continue with half of it. It just felt a bit forced.

Also, one of the things I don't want to watch is puberty/teenagers-being-awkward. Lived it....don't need to re-live it.

That being said, as of the 6th episode, totally enjoying the show.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1563 on: July 11, 2019, 06:51:36 PM »

They also ruined Maya Hawke/Robin for me, but fortunately not until nearly the end.  But that was a big bummer for me.  That reveal is something that would never have happened in an 80's movie/TV show.  IMO, it just totally killed the chemistry between her and Steve and then there was nowhere to go for them, and as a result their little ending scene sucked and made no sense.
I liked the Robin thing. It wasn't very 80s, but it was really well done and I liked the result.

After the reveal, it made sense with the way they played Robin for most of the time. I really didn't want to see them together as they work better as a team than a couple to me.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1564 on: July 12, 2019, 12:58:50 AM »

I think most people would agree with you on Robin.  It just made sense as to why she would be seemingly immune to Steve's charms.  And it added something to the show... unless like me your major enjoyment factor is all about how 80's the show including the unrealistic and stupid parts of 80's teen movies.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1565 on: July 12, 2019, 09:30:22 AM »

Finished it!
Agree with dirk about Robyn. I loved her. I loved how Dustin loved her. The ending with her was fine - not very 80s and definitely much more modern, but it didn't bother me. Steve's reaction was pretty good and just made him more likeable.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1566 on: July 13, 2019, 12:38:23 AM »

The show obviously is not a portrayal of what all kids go through or how most kids act. But I think it is a portrayal of what some kids go through and how they act. The same thing applies to any teen show. Most people didn't have any experience anything like 90210, but some did. The show obviously will not be for everyone based on the subject matter, but I don't think it is unbelievable at all. The only thing I think is exaggerated is all of this happening to the same group of friends at the same time, but that is the same as any TV show.
I'd encourage you to check out the new HBO documentary "I Love You, Now Die" to get a REAL sense of social anxiety among real-life teenagers. MILES better than "Euphoria". I'd love your feedback after you've seen this.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1567 on: July 15, 2019, 08:43:13 AM »

MILD SPOILERS AHEAD FOR STRANGER THINGS 3

I'm not blacking these out, I'm warning you now, so don't read this post.

I'm with ZK to a point on the nostalgia trip.  I could've easily spent the entire season at the mall.  The entire atmosphere was well created.  Or re-created.

C-Fan has been going through the series this week, and I really noticed how different Hopper was this season vs. the other 2.  Quietly smoldering the first season, more cantankerous season 2, then we shift to full out sexist and bullying in Season 3.  Mostly a yelling machine.  But I mean... not totally out of place for a series set in the 80's?

I was trying to rationalize his transformation, and thought that some of it maybe came from his "new" fatherhood, and some of it came from being frustrated with Joyce.

I don't know if I agree that there was no growth... it was perhaps limited.  But you have Dustin coming back from summer and feeling out of the loop, so he joins his new best friend Steve at the mall.

El and Mike pairing up which leads to even more Hopper frustration.  They're acting like teens.
Max and Lucas pairing up in a less stable way.  Max and El with their girl-friendship at the mall was especially amusing.
Will as feeling left out because his friends have moved on to teenager-hood and left him behind.

Jonathan and Nancy are a little shoe-horned with their newspaper sub-plot.  Best part was how this small town newspaper has like 7 reporters working for it.  But they are kind of the ones who figure out what the new monster is, and what it is really doing to the residents.

If anybody was out of place in this season it was Mike's mom.  I just feel like they had to come up with stuff for her to do, and probably shouldn't be in the main cast.

I also feel like they wasted Cary Elwes a bit... he served his purpose, and wouldn't mind seeing him come back.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1568 on: July 15, 2019, 12:54:37 PM »

I think the problem with Hopper and Joyce was they outgrew their characters.  I think that's mostly the issue with the season.

You can believe that a ragtag gang of misfit kids with (maybe some minor help from a few adults) could like, defeat the Goonies or Gremlins.  Once.  But it's harder to accept them winning an ongoing war where the enemies keep getting stronger.

They wanted to keep the central gang of kids as kids, which was the right decision.  But it they wanted to keep the kids that way, but the enemies get stronger it means other characters have to step to the plate.  So Hopper had to move from scruffygruff-but-loveable small time cop dad into action-adventure hero territory.  They didn't do that transition very well.  Same with Joyce.  In her case, they tried to keep her as the mom, but then it's kind of unbelievable that she's battling Russians, etc.

I think it hurt El, too because for a large part of the season she was sort of carrying the kids.  Her character swung between "I'm just a teen" El, and "Actually no, I had a massively messed up upbringing that has given me insane mental powers, so I should not be fitting in this comfortably at all."  And for too much of the season, the fights were just the rest of the kids about to get their asses kicked, then El does something awesome.

All of this stuff is a little nit-picky.  They still got a ton more right than they got wrong, and I highly enjoyed the season.  I just feel like after season 1 I could see all these ideas and directions they could go and was looking forward to season 2.  After season 2, I felt like pretty much everything was good and they could end the season right there, but I wouldn't mind a little extra.  After season 3 though, I just feel like they're kind of boxed in now.  The only way I can see is if they do a time-forward reboot and it turns into maybe more Indiana Jones.  But that interests me a lot less.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #1569 on: July 15, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »

The most awkward thing I saw all season was Joyce in a Russian military uniform.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1570 on: July 16, 2019, 09:52:35 AM »

I liked what they did with Erica. I was hoping that they would phase some of the characters out (Jonathan and Nancy go off to college, the Byers' move away, etc) and so there are fewer characters that we know and love, but then they introduce new younger characters who end up doing fun stuff. To me the Erica character was a freshness that they needed.

And the dynamism of Steve from Season 1 to Season 3 is just fantastic. Keep him evolving.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #1571 on: July 16, 2019, 01:11:04 PM »

on pbs, the series "american experience" has a 3 part series, chasing the moon. it's an excellent documentary on the space race. if you have any interest in the moon program (liftoff 50 years ago today!) it's well worth your time.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105]   Go Up