Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 29104 times)

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: Survivor
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 09:51:18 PM »

So the TAR finale.

Just like in what seems like every single season, a strong team gets screwed by a bad driver in the finale.  This time it was Jeremy and Sandy.  They came into the final leg in 1st place, and knocked out the flight simulator on the first try.  The driver then takes them to the wrong location, and thus we all knew the ending of the show about 10 minutes in.  They obviously had no chance to catch up despite the desperate editing by CBS to make it look closer.  I'm getting tired of typing up a similar scenario to this at the end of every season, where a team gets screwed by something out of their control.  I know that taxi drivers are a variable of the game, but IMO, just let the teams drive themselves during the final leg.  The should at least be rewarded for getting to that point where they won't single-handily lose because of a bad driver.

Outside of disliking the winners, I thought this was a completely disappointing finale.  Flight simulator, using a type writer and a mini rock climbing wall?  Eh.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 10:57:51 PM »

I disagree Cyclone that the driver took them to the wrong place.  They asked some man where the Dump was and he sent them to a place called the Dump.  The driver took them there, sure, but it was the man that gave them bad info. 
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »

Even though the outcome of the finale was pretty clear from the get-to, I thought this was one of the more enjoyable TAR seasons. Great scenary, interesting teams, etc. Sign me up for the next season!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 12:06:58 AM »

I disagree Cyclone that the driver took them to the wrong place.  They asked some man where the Dump was and he sent them to a place called the Dump.  The driver took them there, sure, but it was the man that gave them bad info. 

I thought that they got in their car and read the clue to the driver, who then took them to the place.  I could be wrong, I'm going off memory and don't have DVR to go back and catch it.  My post might have been a bit of an exaggeration as to getting screwed by the driver, but the reality is that something like that literally happens every year in the TAR finale.  I understand your point that in this case it may have been their fault that they interpreted the clue wrong, and you may be right.  But I'd still like to see some kind of equalizer in the TAR finales that prevent those types of situations.  If the teams have gotten that far, give them their own cars or modes of transportation and just make it a fierce physical competition that is exciting to watch so we don't have lame screw ups like going to a wrong location while the second place team takes the lead.  I understand that stuff like this is the reality of the race, but let take be prominent through the first 90% of the race, just do something exciting at the final leg.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »

so Cyclone, the last 2 episodes of Survivor are coming up, this Wednesday and Sunday.... wanna make a final prediction?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 11:38:38 PM »

Talking about TAR finale in the Survivor thread kinda sucks.  

At least have the decency to use the Spoiler tags... I came here this morning looking at Survivor and had to slam the window shut when I saw this TAR talk, as we don't watch until Monday night... which I would've been expecting if I delay-watched Survivor, coming to a Survivor thread.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2011, 11:53:01 PM »

At least have the decency to use the Spoiler tags...

Sorry I'm not more sympathetic but I'm never going to include spoiler tags for something that has already aired.  And I did start my post with "So the TAR finale" before skipping lines to the main paragraph if you read the thread chronologically.  How am I supposed to know when people do and don't DVR stuff and what their schedule is?  I watch it live.  And I get your point about this being the Survivor thread, but still, I would have never anticipated that some TAR fan who hasn't seen the episode yet was going to read this thread before doing so.  That's just me though.

I brought it up because we had already been discussing TAR earlier in the thread.  Since the people participating in this thread are WOXY migrators, there was no separate thread since both of these seasons were already winding down.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 11:58:50 PM by cyclone »
last.fm/user/cyclone23

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2011, 11:56:18 PM »

so Cyclone, the last 2 episodes of Survivor are coming up, this Wednesday and Sunday.... wanna make a final prediction?

My prediction is a Coach, Brandon, Sophie F3 with Coach winning.

It's hard to say who Coach will bring to the end ... I originally wanted to say it would be Albert and Sophie, but Brandon is a much bigger goat than Albert.  Then again Edna was as well and he went ahead and got rid of her.  I am predicting that Ozzy beats Edna in the duel, re-enters the game, and gets voted out at the next TC.  There is a chance he could win the immunity challenges if so he is automatically in the finals.  I just can't see it happening.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 08:55:16 AM »

At least have the decency to use the Spoiler tags...

Sorry I'm not more sympathetic but I'm never going to include spoiler tags for something that has already aired.  And I did start my post with "So the TAR finale" before skipping lines to the main paragraph if you read the thread chronologically.  How am I supposed to know when people do and don't DVR stuff and what their schedule is?  I watch it live.  And I get your point about this being the Survivor thread, but still, I would have never anticipated that some TAR fan who hasn't seen the episode yet was going to read this thread before doing so.  That's just me though.

I brought it up because we had already been discussing TAR earlier in the thread.  Since the people participating in this thread are WOXY migrators, there was no separate thread since both of these seasons were already winding down.

I don't expect you to know anyone's watching schedule.

1. Wrong thread (admittedly, there wasn't a TAR thread... but still I wasn't expecting to get bombed with it in this thread)
2. Hours after a finale.  I assume that not everyone watching shows live... I mean, it's not like you are leaking the ending to Gone With the Wind or something... or even The Sixth Sense.  It had JUST happened.
3. I have no idea why someone who was a TAR fan wouldn't read a Survivor thread until they were caught up with TAR.  I'm 100% caught up on Survivor, which is why I came to this thread.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »

3. I have no idea why someone who was a TAR fan wouldn't read a Survivor thread until they were caught up with TAR.  I'm 100% caught up on Survivor, which is why I came to this thread.

That's not what I'm saying, my point was that I wouldn't have anticipated a TAR fan would have read this thread prior to seeing te episode simply because there are only about 3 of us who actively take part in this thread anyway (that's going back to WOXY as well).  It's generally not the type of thing I would worry about, as we struggle to get people to comment on the shows in the first place.  Thus the "spoiler" thing never even crossed my mind.

It's really not worth splitting hairs over.  Now that I'm here, there will be separate Survivor and TAR threads come next season anyway.

On topic, Richard Hatch was released from jail (again) today and claimed that Boston Rob took his place last season after the judge would not allow him to take part in Survivor.

last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2011, 11:02:54 PM »

Good idea to start separate threads for the next seasons of TAR and Survivor. I think there is enough interest to support both. I know I'll be posting.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 09:54:02 AM »

Ol' Cochran made this season the most boring since like Marquesas.  What kind of "Survivor Expert" thinks that trading 6th for 7th is a good deal?  At least in 6th, you could redeem yourself or outsmart/blindside someone and move up to 4th or  even better.  At 7th in a 6 person alliance, you are expendable.

Now we are stuck with the battle of the dummies and the false hope that Ozzy might finish them all.  I mean, what sort of world is it where I'm rooting for Ozzy?  The challenge god with the brain of a squirrel?

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 10:58:23 AM »

To take that Cochran rationale even further, I'm not convinced that he would have even been 6th on Savaii.  Cochran's poor challenge abilities and social game would have became a major asset for him post-merge, while it always put him on the chopping block pre-merge.  Just about every Savaii member has to have him in mind to take to the end as a goat.  They're certainly not going to want to go with Ozzy.  Jim actually made this very clear early on when they blindsided Ozzy's girlfriend.  That's what made this "Cochran was bullied" narrative so bizarre to me.  They voted against the leader Ozzy to protect him, and if Ozzy had not sacrificed himself to go to RI, he would have been voted out 100% for blowing that challenge.  Not sure where Cochran's false entitlement comes from.  Being a superfan and a Harvard student doesn't mean that you're going to get a pass when you aren't helping the tribe in any way.  A flip like that always kill someone's endgame.  Always.

It's interesting to me that you picked Marquesas and not Thailand.  The latter is what a lot of Survivor fans consider the gold standard for boring seasons, though Thailand had who I thought was the single best winner of all-time while Marquesas had one of the worst.  Anyway, I don't think this season has been the most boring since then.  It hasn't been very strong either, and yes, the post-merge has been boring thanks to a Pagonging.  But last season's Pagonging was much more boring.  Rob's zombie tribe (and even the other tribe) made this cast seem very entertaining.  I also think that, even if it's the slimmest of chances, someone like Albert or Sophie have a much greater chance of beating Coach than anyone in the entire cast had of beating Rob last season.  I also think Nicaragua a few seasons ago was also much worse, and I hate saying that because I'm such an apologist for seasons with an all new cast and no returning players

last.fm/user/cyclone23

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 12:21:16 PM »

agreed. ozzie wins. trailer is deceiving. then ozzie gets voted out. he can beat anyone left in the game, with most of his tribe left on the jury, it'd be stupid to keep him around, if you're on the other tribe. cockroach is the ultimate loser, but someone should've had enough smarts to keep him and brandon around to try to take to the final three = guaranteed win.

cowboy has hardly been in any episodes, he can't win. albert or sophie have the only chance left to usurp coach, and if i'd get rid of those two first if i was left in the tribe, leaving coach, brandon, and ric for the f3. who do you vote for? coach. *yawn*

fairly uninteresting season thus far, with most moves either being predictable, or so unpredictable that they had no long term strategic goal.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »

What can you even say about Brandon?  I kind of feel like he was just throwing in the towel.  Given how nonexistent he had been the past 5-6 episodes compared to his sporadic behavior before, he must have been totally phased out.  Granted, he worked hard to win immunity and was one TC away from a final 4.  But maybe he thought giving up immunity and then getting booted was an "honorable" way to go out.  I was definitely surprised that Coach voted him out. 

I would also say that Albert pretty much killed any endgame he may have had up his sleeve.  Both the jury and his own tribe view him as a coward.  I don't know, even though that was an entertaining episode, I feel like I don't really have much to say about it.  I am surprised that Coach has just voted out two big goats (Edna and Brandon), although after that whole spiel I guess Albert became a pretty big one himself.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 22   Go Up