Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 25606 times)

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: Survivor
« Reply #285 on: May 15, 2013, 03:11:07 PM »

how many seasons out of the last few had returning players? all of them? when was the last all new player show?

Going back to the Heroes vs. Villains season which is probably where the returning player mentality started, only two of the last seven seasons were all new casts (One World and Nicaragua). Keep in mind that those two seasons were both awful because of the casting, so that probably helped contribute to their need to just keep bringing people back and losing faith in new casts. Of course, that is entirely their fault because the casting looked terrible from day one. Now rather than trying to create new "stars" they seem content with just trying to bring back second tier-type players after the Hantz's, Boston Robs, Parvatis etc. with last season and this next one to try to create new ones.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2013, 10:59:55 PM »

For fellow Cincinnatians, there is a charity event this Friday at the Buffalo Wild Wings location on Beechmont Ave. which will feature the following ex-Survivors doing an autograph signing:

Joel Klug: Survivor: Borneo
Rodger Bingham: Survivor: The Australian Outback
Mitchell Olson: Survivor: The Australian Outback
JoAnna Ward: Survivor: Amazon
Chris Daugherty: Winner of Survivor: Vanuatu
Billy Garcia: Survivor: Cook Islands
Marcus Lehman: Survivor: Gabon
Sandy Burgin: Survivor: Tocantins
Zane Knight: Survivor: Philippines
Allie Pohevitz: Survivor: Caramoan
Laura Alexander: Survivor: Caramoan
Matt Bischoff: Survivor: Caramoan

(and a few Amazing Race and Big Brother people as well)
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2013, 11:38:19 PM »

And I'll be watching the very first season on DVD sometime in the next weeks/months (the only season I did not watch as it happened).
I've got the first 4 episodes in the bag. What an eye-opener this has been. Totally different from the later seasons. It's more focused on the physical survivor aspects, and hardly any strategizing among the players. It is starting up just a little bit, although at tonight's (4th episode) TC there clearly wasn't any plan among the tribe who to vote out (it turned out to be Ramona). The players were so much more... civilized!

It's amazing too to see Jeff Probst, more as a "reporter" than an active interpellant at TC as we've become used to now. The early TCs are almost laughable now, not just for the outright primitive set, but the fact that they are so short! Hardly any given-and-take or Q&A, just getting to the vote mainly.

I keep waiting for the foot to drop on Richard, whom I expected to be totally unlikeable but is anything but. Very nice guy so far. And the only one to think of strategy, even in the littlest of ways.

It's so funny to see Jeff introduce the basic premise at every episode, which of course at that time was unknown, but now so familiar. And the use of music is much more subdued.

Anyhoo, settling in for the remaining episodes soon. Looking forward to it.

Cyclone, feel free to post comments, but don't spoil the plot. I do know that Richard ended up winning, (and at one point is going to start walking around naked), but that's it. All the rest is new to me.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #288 on: June 05, 2013, 01:23:01 AM »

Glad you're enjoying it ... I just may have to bust out my copy of Borneo to watch with my girlfriend who's never seen it over the Summer. As I've said before, it is still one of my favorite seasons regardless of the fact that I simply have a ton of nostalgia for it. The cast is superb with Hatch, Rudy, Greg, Colleen, Dr. Sean w/ his alphabet voting strategy, etc.

Two things you hit on that I think are important are the focus on the actual survival element where it is mostly completely ignored these days and Jeff Probst's switch from being just simply the host to his current role as executive producer in which he is right there making the decisions with Mark Burnett. To the former, strategy outweights the survival aspect in the modern game by about a 10:1 ratio. To think that things like building a shelter used to be an integral part of the show while they are mainly an afterthought now. After Probst became an executive producer, his role changed significantly and he essentially makes himself an entity in the game himself with purposely stirring drama, having his own personal biases and preferences to certain players, etc.

As with all seasons, Borneo gets a lot better as it goes along. Good thing you got through the beginnings with the "This is what we will call a Tribal Council ..." stuff, which might be hard for some people who have only seen newer seasons. There are many great moments to come.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #289 on: June 05, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »

8 episodes into it now... the tribes have merged. The overall lack of strategizing is mind-boggling. You can see Richard cruising along with his semi-alliance, the only one that is in play and of course dominating. Tonight's (8th) episode featured the (now classic) videos from family back home, and the real eye-opener was how un-emotional it was for the most part for the contestants.

Also interesting is that Jeff at TC never says at the deciding vote "the xth member voted off is...", he simply reads the votes and the person voted off simply needs to realize his/her time has come.

6 more episodes to come, but I can already tell that, for me, the later seasons, when stategizing became the more focal point, are the more enjoyable. Of course I say this when in my mind Season 2 (Australian Outback) is still my favorite as it was the first full Survivor season I watched as it happened. I've never seen that season again since 2001, and if I were to watch it again, there is a good chance I'd now scratch my head as to why I loved it so much.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »

You already surpassed one of my favorite moments of the season ... when Gervase, who could barely swim, beat Kelly in the rowing challenge when Kelly's occupation is a whitewater rafting guide. And it looks like episode 8 is the one where Greg was voted out and gave his infamous fake crying "noooo!" when the votes were announced.

Here's a funny, little known tidbit about Greg ... Mark Burnett wrote in a book he published about the experience of producing the first season that a few of the castmembers (led by Greg and Colleen) kept voting for Jeff Probst at one of the tribal councils. They had to have a big production meeting where the cast was scolded for it being against the rules and saying they needed to take it more seriously. Greg was really ahead of his time, the guy was amazing and truly treated the experience like no one else out there. Even though this was the very first time reality TV existed, he recognized that he was going to do whatever he wanted in front of the constant cameras rolling rather than playing it straightlaced.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2013, 05:45:26 PM »

Well I finished watching Season 1. Several random thoughts:

-- For some reason I thought that it would be Rudy and Rich in the final 2. When it turns out that Kelly wins the last immunity challenge, I wad dumbstruck that she chose to take Rich with her to the F2, instead of Rudy. I was surprised how poor a player Rudy turned out to be. Completely worthless really, except for the "loyalty" factor. But why oh why did Kelly not take Rudy with her? That would've guaranteed the win for her.

-- Rich turned out to be a big surprise for me. I had expected to find some conniving, mean-spirited, arrogant son of a bitch. Instead, this was a sharp, civil, funny, likeable guy who clearly had thought through what it would take, and then did it. The fact that he stepped off of the last immunity challege tooks guts. Even more amazing of course is the trouble he got into after winning Survivor (eventually going to jail for tax fraud/evasion, as he "forgot" to declare the $1 mill to the IRA... wow, just wow).

-- Kelly was a big surprise too. Winning 5 immunity challenges in a row at the end of the game is amazing. Not sure that has ever been done again since then. I think she blew it at the final TC with her opening statement, which was weak, unfocused and confusing. Rich's opening statement was brilliant and in my mind closed the deal for him.

-- Loved Colleen, America's Sweetheart", as Brian Gumble called her on the (very entertaining) Reunion Show. The fact that she was 23 then (and really looked more like 15 or 16), and that she in meantime now is 36 or 37 just blows the mind.

All in all, that was a pleasant way of seeing a whole season in quick succession. Can't help but wonder what became of these people since then. Can you believe it's been 13 years? Also, watching the episodes without ads is just beautiful. I'll probably check to see if I can get Season 2 from the library.

Cyclone, are you aware of this Survivor fan-site? It's pretty hilarious.  http://survivorsucks.yuku.com/directory

(Just ordered Season 2 from the library. Love our library system.)

« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 05:52:39 PM by euro60 »

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »

We (the library) have all released seasons on DVD, I believe.   :)
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #293 on: June 10, 2013, 12:26:39 AM »

Well I finished watching Season 1. Several random thoughts:

Yeah, Rudy wasn't much of a player. He was a character. He's probably most well known for his bizarre yet endearing relationship with Hatch, with the infamous "we're friends ... not in a homosexual way, that's for sure" line. Another hilarious Rudy moment was that (now very dated-looking) challenge where they had to run through the woods with the handheld video cameras giving answers to various questions and he kept answering "I don't know" to every single question.

As far as wondering what the cast is up to ... Hatch is basically the only one left who is still active in the Survivor community. He still appears on Rob Cesternino's Survivor podcast every year (including just about a month ago) since getting out of jail, he is still extremely interesting to hear talk about the game as well as just anything in general. Jenna Lewis got caught up in a sex tape scandal in the mid-2000s. She released a real sextape and tried pretending like she was a victim, when it came out that her and her husband were selling the video for a profit. Sadly, some of the best characters like Greg and Colleen pretty much disappeared from the Survivor world immediately and never came back.

Oh, and one more thing about the cast, I won't say who in case you don't want to know, but someone from Borneo who has never returned for any other season is returning for the upcoming season which is filming right now. If you want to see, here's the link to the cast (as well as the "gimmick" of the season which is called Blood vs. Water): http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/survivor_blood_vs_water/2013_May_13_cast

And yeah, I am aware of the "SurvivorSucks" forum. I used to browse it as long as 5-6 years ago when it was the main Survivor fansite on the net, nowadays the exhausting snark and vitriol is a bit much for me. Still, the people there are extremely knowledgeable superfans who can ramble off the exact boot orders of every season in a matter of seconds. I mean, look at the quantity of posts ... it has to be one the largest/most active on the entire internet. Anyway, be careful if you start browsing there ... what the site is known for is spoilers. They gained notoriety for trying to spoil casts and boot orders all the way back to the very early seasons before CBS even aired the first episode. Even though there is one subforum designated for "spoilers" they will sometimes be spread across the entire forum and you can get spoiled on a season really easily. Just another reason I stopped visiting there entirely.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #294 on: June 11, 2013, 11:19:34 PM »

I looked around on that website for a bit and realized quickly that I could stumble upon spoilers if I really wanted to, so I went away.

Meanwhile, I'm now 2 episodes into Season 2 ("Australian Outback"), which is the first season I watched as it happened, and already so many classic moments (Kel's supposed "beef jerky", Kimmie's big mouth (literally and figuratively), Rodger's jump off the cliff, and of course Amber! and Elizabeth!). Thankfully I've forgotten a lot of the day-to-day details so I'm really enjoying it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #295 on: June 24, 2013, 11:10:25 PM »

Finished Season 2, 12 years after seeing it unfold on TV, and it validates my long-held view that this is the best Survivor season ever. The main reason? This was the best cast group of Survivors, ever. Just about every single one was interesting in one way or another. You may not have liked each one of them, but they had character. Plus it still was the early innocent days where "surviving" actually mattered quite a bit. I had forgotten that Season 2 played out over 42 days, instead of the usual 39 (and maybe the only season to go that long?). I had forgotten that Keith (one of those less likeable characters) went that deep into the game (F3). It blows the mind now that Colby choose to take Tina into the F2 instead of Keith, as he surely woud've won. But Colby is a stand-up guy and he knew what he was doing, and he clearly was not upset that Tina won.

I already ordered CD1 of the first "All-stars" survivor season from the library, and that season is the only other one I'm interested in seeing again playing out.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #296 on: June 30, 2013, 09:16:22 PM »

For whatever reason, Australia isn't one of my favorites of the early seasons. I mean, I don't dislike it. I agree that the cast was good, I just didn't particularly have strong feelings for any of them as players. I was expecting to appreciate it a lot more when I re-watched it on DVD 5-6 years ago after not seeing it since it originally aired but it just doesn't do it for me. As you said, Colby taking Tina should be discussed in the "worst moves in Survivor" history. Surprisingly, Jeff Varner is still active in the Survivor community.

Euro, I think you should revisit some of the other early seasons that don't have the reputations of seasons 1-2, which you have probably forgotten about completely. Seasons 3-4 are some of the worst of the early seasons, however S6 (The Amazon) and S9 (Vanuatu) are truly fantastic seasons and both are available on DVD. While Thailand (S5) isn't the greatest season overall, I'd also recommend it because I think the winner Brian Heidik still remains the greatest player of all-time.

You said you're watching All-Stars ... that, to me, is a perfect example of why I find it hard to take the successes/failures of returning players seriously. Instead, as the name applies, it's more just like an actual professional sports All-Star game. Fun to watch and see how it plays out but ultimately I only judge how they perform their original time out. Case in point with All-Stars, if anyone thinks lesser of players like Hatch, Tina or Rob Cesternino because they went out early that's crazy.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #297 on: July 01, 2013, 12:07:54 AM »

I am deep into the All-Stars season and am enjoying it greatly. You can only marvel at the way Boston Rob is playing it, for one. He surely is the best Survivor player ever.

But I will take you up on your suggestion to check out on S6 and S9 (assuming I can get it from the library).

Strange you would suggest that Brian Heidik is "the greatest player of all time" as that name doesn't even ring a bell with me right now.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #298 on: July 03, 2013, 11:51:22 PM »

Finished the All-Stars season. Enjoyed it tremendously from start to finish. Enjoyed all of the players/characters. Amber was a deserving winner. She was smart, lucky, likeable, and simply good, including at challenges. That is a winning combination. She was definitely not just Boston Rob's hanger-on/eventual gf.

Boston Rob was equally great, and I stand by my opinion that he is the best Survivor player ever.

The reunion show, where Boston Rob proposed to Amber, remains memorable. We've never seen anything like it, before or since. They were the real deal. Did you know they now have 3 daughters? Wow.

Loved the discussion at the reunion show about the whole Rob/Lex thing about saving Amber after the tribal switch and then Lex being voted off.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #299 on: July 04, 2013, 12:06:19 AM »

You're clearly a much bigger Boston Rob than I but I never really thought much of All-Stars.

Some of that is just personal bias, as two of my all-time favorite players went out pre-merge for being threats (Hatch and Cesternino). I also felt like they missed a lot of great opportunities with casting. I'll give you that she did more than her reputation, but why was Amber even there? And Shii-Ann? From Thailand, that should have been Heidik's spot (longstanding rumor has it that he demanded more money for his appearance than CBS was willing to offer, not sure if that's true though). Despite their popularity I'm also no fan of Rupert or Jenna Lewis. Would have loved to see several people from Borneo take her place ... Colleen, Greg, Gervase just to name a few. I will say that I was glad Hatch made it interesting for the short time he was there, with the Sue "I've been violated!" incident and infamous "I've been bamboozled!" line.

Here's something to keep in mind about Boston Rob (not trying to change your opinion of him, just saying). In playing four times, he actually went out pre-merge twice. And in his original season (which for reasons I said in my last post is how I judge someone the most as a player), he went out pre-merge. Now, I'll give you that his win in Redemption Island was the second most dominant win ever. I say that Brian Heidik was better because IMO he dominated just as much in his first time out, where as Rob did so playing for a fourth time and against a cast of all new players besides himself. Like I said, I think it would be completely rewarding to re-watch seasons like The Amazon and Vanuatu.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22   Go Up