Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 25616 times)

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
Re: Survivor
« Reply #300 on: September 19, 2013, 08:51:58 AM »

new season started last night!

blood v water; with family/loved ones. i thought the gimmick would suck, but they've played it correctly. got plenty of drama on the first episode usually reserved for post merge shows.

i'm not sure if i'll tire of the gimmick or not.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #301 on: September 19, 2013, 09:20:56 AM »

Got home late last night due to a business dinner. Hope to catch it on the CBS website this weekend. But I'm not very hopeful. The premise sucks as far as I'm concerned.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #302 on: September 20, 2013, 09:34:02 AM »

new season started last night!

blood v water; with family/loved ones. i thought the gimmick would suck, but they've played it correctly. got plenty of drama on the first episode usually reserved for post merge shows.

i'm not sure if i'll tire of the gimmick or not.

The gimmick did work better than I thought it would as well. Though, ugh, tired of Colton and Kat so hopefully they'll be gone sooner rather than later. Also, I already miss Malcolm. :D
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #303 on: September 20, 2013, 01:03:05 PM »

Don't really post here much anymore but I had to chime in on Survivor which has been what, like a 6-7 year tradition dating back to the WOXY board, shockingly.

- Loath the "Blood vs. Water" twist, but that's mainly because I'm vehemently against returning players. The twist itself is okay, but I think there would have been a lot of ways to improve the game just by improving certain minor aspects rather than going with a big new format. Although there is one positive caveat, which is that they at least got creative with the returning players and it isn't just the usual suspects. For example I never thought we'd see someone from Borneo who has never returned before (Borneo), or someone like Aras. Granted, the rest is pretty bad. Colton is obviously terrible, Rupert returning for a 4th time is a total joke, and there were some real desperation picks for the women (I get Monica for the NFL husband, but a total dud like Candace returning a third time? Laura from Samoa? Very weak).

- Speaking of Aras, Probst said in a cast preview that he was the "most boring winner of all-time." One of the more boring male winners, sure, but in no way more boring than Vecepia, Natalie, Bob, or Sandra (her first time).

- Oh, I also really dislike Redemption Island.

- Candace and John made the right decision to send Candace to RI. FYI Candace was a last-minute replacement when RC from two seasons ago dropped out, which is probably why she got voted out immediately. As a married couple, it doesn't matter which one wins the $1M, and so it's better for John to be in the game. Candace would have been an easy early boot for the returning players, John actually seemingly has a good chance of making a deep run. So, good decision.

- Rupert and wife made the wrong decision. Yeah, Rupert chose chivalry and Probst practically coaxed him into taking her place. But it's an awful game move. Again, when it's a married couple, either winning the game is fine. So, what chance did Rupert's wife ever have in the game? She was significantly older than everyone else in the loved ones tribe and would have likely been a challenge casualty and thus an extremely attractive early boot sacrifice. Meanwhile, Rupert could have at the very least been chummy with the returning players and maybe have been used as a pawn to go deep or something. Instead, in the coming weeks Rupert's wife actually likely gets voted out and then faces Rupert in RI.

- Tyson is the only returning player I'm rooting for. Loved him in his original season and think he can make a deep run in a game like this format. Like his girlfriend Rachel too.

- Vytas (ex-junkie brother of Aras) is probably my favorite loved one.

- I saw Hayden's season of Big Brother. There is no reason to think he won't do very well on Survivor except for being culpable for a blindside just for being an alpha male type. He should breeze to the merge for being such a challenge asset, and is strategic without letting it be shown.

- Not much to say about someone who gets booted because her uncle on the other tribe had a pathetic performance in the challenge and then decided to showboat when it was over. I think Katie (Tina's son) would have been the smarter boot, but probably doesn't matter much.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #304 on: September 25, 2013, 11:19:29 PM »

I saw the first episode on the CBS website tonight just before the new episode came on. I knew generally that this season had something to do with "loved ones" but had no idea that it would involve returning, yet again, 10 players from previous seasons. ENOUGH ALREADY! My gosh, has it come down to this for Survivor? I mean, I love Rupert as much as anyone, but do I really want him to play again? No.

Then the twists came, fast and furious. The biggest one being that, apparently, the "loved ones" can trade places just about at any time. Really? It removes the game from its original premise yet even farther. Hey, why not being able to switch tribes at any time anyone wants to? It's just getting to be ridiculous.

I watched tonight's episode and was incredibly turned off by Colton's high drama.

I will be out of the country next week, and don't know that I will have the time/energy/interest to catch up again. This is coming from an all-time Survivor fan that I am. Which is to say, if they've lost my interest, I wouldn't be surprised this year (meaning through next Spring) is the last for Survivor, at least on CBS.

I might be wrong, and have the urge in 2 weeks to see what is going on, but I dunno.

Just feeling disappointed in what was once my favorite TV show. Too much gimmicks, too many returning players, too far stretched from the original premise.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #305 on: October 04, 2013, 06:37:47 PM »

*spoilers*

thank god colton is gone. what a weenbag.

whether we like the the twist, it's sure getting the drama they want. redemption island is more drama filled than tc nowdays. not sure that i like it, manipulating loved ones to get drama seems cheap. perhaps they should not allow for any type of communiciation during redemption challenges?

culpepper is a short sighted tool. dumping a strategy that was working for the 5 guys to split their alliance before it was needed is the type of over thinking the alpha type players routinely do. he's now lost the trust of the other 3 guys and the 2 girls certainly won't trust him. that being said, i might keep him around and ride him for some time before sending him off.

and as usual, the returning players have an advantage, as they've won all the challenges. that part is fairly predictable, it's the r.i. challenges that add the drama.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #306 on: October 10, 2013, 10:56:18 AM »

and culpepper over thinking costs him in one the oddest t.c. in some time.

the guy who said i'm writing down brad's name, with the two girls, writing down brads guaranteed a tie, then someone flipped on the second vote.

it does seem that the drama at r.i. is toning itself down. the cast must've gotten used to it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #307 on: March 09, 2014, 10:58:17 PM »

As much as I didn't like last season (and in fact gave up on it at some point, my first time ever for Survivor), I am enjoying the new season, even with the stupid 3 Beauty-Brain-Brawn tribe divides (obviously that will go away at the eventual merge). At least the game is sorta back to normal, no returning past players, no All-Stars, no castaway island, etc. And Probst is still Probst. Without him, Survivor would be dead.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #308 on: March 10, 2014, 09:35:44 AM »

kinda surprising the "brain" tribe is so lame at intellectual challenges, and the brawn has done so well at the puzzle challenges.

thankfully, as euro states, no returning players.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #309 on: March 12, 2014, 11:38:01 PM »

another solid episode tonight... I'm really warming up to this season.

As the sneak preview showed, the tribes will be mixed up next week... should be interesting!

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #310 on: April 03, 2014, 02:05:28 PM »

one hell of a great episode last night... smug "I'm the one deciding this game" Sarah got completely blindsided at tribal council  8)

At least she wasn't bitter about it in the confessional afterwards.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #311 on: April 03, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »

When Survivor's idea of a "brain" is David Samson, I can see why that would lead to huge problems with that group right there.

He's a complete idiot who sucks at his job and everyone hates him and laughs at him.  As far as I can tell his real-world survival strategy is marrying an MLB team owner's daughter.  That doesn't really work in Survivor.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #312 on: June 26, 2014, 11:25:31 PM »

'Survivor' Contestant Caleb Bankston Killed In Train Accident
Yahoo News | By Zach Seemayer | 12:14 am June 25 2014

Survivor: Blood vs. Water contestant Caleb Bankston died Tuesday in a freak railroad accident.

Bankston, who worked at the Alabama Warrior Railway in Birmingham, was on a train when it derailed, according to People. Beyond that, not much is known about the accident.

Bankston, 26, was on Survivor in 2013 along with his fiance Colton Cumbie. The couple ended the game in ninth place.

"Caleb was an amazing man and friend," contestant Aras Baskauskas told People. "One of the sweetest and most sincere humans I've ever come across. I am gutted by his loss. My thoughts and prayers are with his family."

News of Bankston's death has spread across the web, and has shaken the Survivor community, with a number of former contestants tweeting condolences.

Bankston is the third Survivor contestant to die since the show first premiered. Survivor: Palau contestant Jenn Lyon passed away in 2010 of breast cancer, and in 2013, BB Andersen died of brain cancer at age 77.

TMZ reports

"Survivor" star Caleb Bankston was crushed to death by 2 rail cars when the train on which he was riding derailed ... TMZ has learned.

Bankston -- a contestant on "Survivor: Blood vs. Water" last year -- was checking on something in the small space between two of the cars when the train went off the tracks. Cops say the rear car slammed into the forward car ... with Bankston caught helplessly in between.

Since this is an industrial accident, Birmingham PD says the Federal Railroad Administration and the railway company’s safety officer will conduct separate investigations.

So far, it is unknown what caused the derailment. We're told there was one other worker on the train at the time of the crash ... he was not injured.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #313 on: May 21, 2015, 12:14:17 PM »

Hell of a final yesterday to conclude Season 30. In fact, an excellent season all around.

I'm disappointed that once again for the next season they are recycling contestants from the past. Not "all-stars" or "fan favorites" but "second chance" contestants, whatever that means. But I'm sure I'll be tuning in again...

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #314 on: May 21, 2015, 10:14:52 PM »

I'm glad Mike won.  I haven't actually seen the last episode yet, but I did watch the aftershow.  I must say Rodney is quite the egotist.
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22   Go Up