Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: Survivor  (Read 28235 times)

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
Re: Survivor
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »

Yes, the 15th is the date
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:17 PM »

To recap the new twist/rule changes ...

- All new cast, no returning players
- No redemption island
- Men vs. women
- Both tribes (the men and women) will be co-existing on one beach rather than separate beaches for the first time ever
- A little person makes their Survivor debut
- If you find a Hidden Immunity Idol, you can't use it for yourself.  You must (strategically) give it to someone on the other tribe ...

The way hidden immunity idols are played will also be different in season 24. This time, there will be two idols hidden at the camp — one for each tribe — but finding your tribe’s idol does not guarantee your safety. Instead, as Probst explains, “When you find the idol, you can’t use it for yourself. You have to give it to someone from the other tribe.” The trick will be picking the right person to give it to, and perhaps getting concessions in return — not to mention lobbying for the other team’s idol once someone finds it.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2012, 11:33:01 PM »

I'm in!

Sounds like this good be a great season, with the badly needed rule changes
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2012, 08:04:57 AM »

- All new cast, no returning players

Really?  That's a "twist"?

- A little person makes their Survivor debut

Gimmick, anyone?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

I'm excited to see it, but then again, it's not like I wouldn't be watching anyway!

That said, I was just sooooooooooooo unimpressed with last year's ending.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2012, 10:53:25 AM »

Really?  That's a "twist"?

No, but it's the thing on that list I'm the most excited about.  I never want to see returning players anymore.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2012, 11:12:27 AM »

No, but it's the thing on that list I'm the most excited about.  I never want to see returning players anymore.

Love cyclone and poncho
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2012, 12:40:55 PM »

Tonight, guys.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 01:25:29 PM »

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 10:04:32 PM »

Premiere rant ...

Having a medical eviction on the first episode with no TC is mega-lame.  And to tease the audience that there will be an actual TC, even bringing them in to have them bicker and then send them back, was borderline offensive to me as a viewer since day one (this was obviously done to keep the viewers interested, it wasn't because medical simply needed that long to realize she broke her wrist).  But whatever, I don't want to be too negative.  I did like the immediate impact that the "one world" twist brought to the game.  It brought back an emphasis on the actual survival element to the game of the older seasons, and for me that's a good thing.  As far as the chicken thing, as big of a douche as the villainous attorney is, I have to say I sided with him about the sharing thing.  And I think there's definitely some gender bias going on there ... had the guys caught the chickens and kept them for themselves they would have been portrayed extremely poorly.  Which brings me to the decision at the challenge.  Are these women serious?  Playing the "I thought men would be chivalrous" card?  This is a game.  It's day one, and you get faced with the decision of either accepting immunity or giving the other team a chance to win it.  It's a balance beam, one person not being able to make it across and you're toast.  It happens all the time.  You accept it and you're safe and automatically not the first one gone.  That's crucial, it's not time to be worrying about getting opposite tribe jury votes on day one.

The worst part for me is that it seems like the season is shaped up to go down a very predictable narrative.  It's way too early to predict that, but it seems obvious to me.  The women being so dysfunctional does not seem like it's something that will correct itself, especially with the cancerous younger loudmouths.  Meanwhile, there's the 4 young alpha male alliance for the guys.  Even if Colton was theoretically able to blindside one with a HII, they're just going to eat him alive after ward.  This is all just blind speculation of course, and I really hope the season doesn't go that way.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »

I don't know whether this was one of the worst opening shows in Survivor history, or one of the worst episodes ever, period. Wow, mega-lame from start to finish. I won't repeat all of Cyclone's points as I agree with all of them, but this really disappointed me (also being a first-hour fan of Survivor).

The good news is that the new season of The Amazing Race starts on Sunday and for sure it won't/can't be as bad as tonight's Survivor episode was.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2012, 08:27:57 AM »

I only watched the first 20 minutes or so and to be honest, that might be all I need to see this season. Granted, I really don't watch this show; I am a casual watcher when Mark watches it (I prefer the Amazing Race). But this guy vs girl thing is going to make for a long season IMO if the show carried on in the same vein as the first part I saw.

I will argue that I agree that the women shouldn't have shared the chicken. Probably gender bias. Mark also felt that it was stupid that they didn't because the guys had already moved on from the truck incident but I can guarantee you that the women hadn't forgotten. I get that this is a game but to totally f people over in the first five minutes and not see how that is going to play out later on is short-sighted. To me, the guys were acting like a bunch of immature teenagers and the women, well, they weren't much better honestly. How I saw it based on the female POV: if you screw us over, we are going to screw you over so now we are even.

For the record, that lawyer is a douche and probably beats (physically or verbally) the people he dates in real life. Not joking here. Psychopathic boss who spends more time working on his abs than his interpersonal skills.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

This goes down as the single lamest opening episode in Survivor history.  The evac wasn't the issue for me, but like you guys, it was the handling of it.  I won't re-state everything you guys said, but I agree with most of it.

Things I didn't like:

1. The chicken thing was crap.  You are 100% right, if the men did it... it would be brought up every single episode.

2. Of course you take the gimme win.  However, the craptastic edit leaves the simpleton viewer without the reminder that with the broken wrist evac, they automatically lost anyway.  However, ALWAYS TAKE THE WIN.

3. Supah Dupah Colton has to be the dumbest player ever.  I get that he's gay.  I get that he wanted to be on the girl's team.  I get that he doesn't bond with the men.  However, this has to be the worst opening move ever.  Maybe he'll recover, probably he won't.  Why do you play every card you have on Day 2?

4. Alicia "MIRA MIRA MIRA" and her "I'll go all stereotypical hostile Hispanic woman on you!" antics. 

Things I liked:

1. Nina's faceplant and the resulting marks.  Awesome!

2. Alicia's choice in underwear.  For once (or maybe luck) someone thought "Hmmm... I might be walking around for weeks on television in my undercrackers... I'm not 19 & ultra-thin, but I'm not 50 & fat either... maybe I should pick something in a dark color, flattering style and that doesn't look embarassing?"  Everyone knows you're going to wind up in your undies and/or your bathing suit most of the time.  Think ahead.

3. Chelsea.  I'm hoping she's going to go a long way.  I like her.

4. The dudes and the fire. 

5. The whole sharing a beach thing.  I like that.  One world, solid concept so far.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 12:19:21 PM »

Oh and I will add that the entire concept of chivalry (despite my mother's protests) is stupid.  Being nice to your fellow humans is awesome and something that should be done regardless of gender.

If you tell me that women should get the same pay as men, I will agree with you.
If you tell me that women are as smart or smarter or dumber than men depending on who you compare them to (basically not as an entire gender being better or worse, but equal), I will agree with you.
If you tell me that women can do anything a man can do, I will mostly agree with you... I can't have a baby, you can't reliably pee standing up and facing forward.  I can't menstruate, you can't produce sperm.  Anything biological... basically.
If you tell me that a woman is better than me for a job, I will never look at her as inferior who got lucky.  Of course, people are better than me... men or women.
If you tell me that women deserve equal rights, I say ABSOLUTELY.  It's insanity to suggest otherwise.

So women in the US and other places in the world have spent the last 40-50 years telling the rest of the world they are equal to men.  I've bought in 100% and believe it to the core of my being.  Other than certain biological things... there is nothing a woman can't do that I can do.  Then a certain subset of women demand chivalry.  You don't get to get out from under the glass ceiling, out of the barefoot/pregnant mindset, "awww shucks, you're so cute and stupid" and then hang on to the vestiges of it.  You want chivalry, you don't get to be equal.  You are inferior.

I don't think women are inferior, so why should they be treated as such?  Thus chivalry (not common courtesy and ample human kindness to EVERYONE) is stupid and worthless.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

Oh and I will add that the entire concept of chivalry (despite my mother's protests) is stupid.  Being nice to your fellow humans is awesome and something that should be done regardless of gender.

If you tell me that women should get the same pay as men, I will agree with you.
If you tell me that women are as smart or smarter or dumber than men depending on who you compare them to (basically not as an entire gender being better or worse, but equal), I will agree with you.
If you tell me that women can do anything a man can do, I will mostly agree with you... I can't have a baby, you can't reliably pee standing up and facing forward.  I can't menstruate, you can't produce sperm.  Anything biological... basically.
If you tell me that a woman is better than me for a job, I will never look at her as inferior who got lucky.  Of course, people are better than me... men or women.
If you tell me that women deserve equal rights, I say ABSOLUTELY.  It's insanity to suggest otherwise.

So women in the US and other places in the world have spent the last 40-50 years telling the rest of the world they are equal to men.  I've bought in 100% and believe it to the core of my being.  Other than certain biological things... there is nothing a woman can't do that I can do.  Then a certain subset of women demand chivalry.  You don't get to get out from under the glass ceiling, out of the barefoot/pregnant mindset, "awww shucks, you're so cute and stupid" and then hang on to the vestiges of it.  You want chivalry, you don't get to be equal.  You are inferior.

I don't think women are inferior, so why should they be treated as such?  Thus chivalry (not common courtesy and ample human kindness to EVERYONE) is stupid and worthless.

I agree, common courtesy is worth so much more than chivalry. Kind of like the women who disdain men for holding a door open for them but then being mad when they don't hold the door. Make up your freaking mind. I hold the door for anyone behind me, regardless of age, race, sex, etc. Just the nice thing to do. I know the girl who broke her wrist probably seemed worthless but she was actually the only one I liked right off the bat. The other one's are bitchy, catty, and generally the type of female that I want to punch in the face. You know, the one's that go on the Bachelor? They make all women look stupid, petty and just in general ridiculous.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 22   Go Up