Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Yuck - S/T  (Read 1682 times)

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Yuck - S/T
« on: November 28, 2011, 01:09:33 PM »

There are a lot of good singles on this album, but listening to it all the way through seems to be a bit too much for me. A lot of the songs sound very similar to each other. And they should have put "Coconut Bible" on the album. That's their best song in my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:12:30 PM by Buzzstein »
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: Yuck - S/T
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »

it's a decent album to me, but yeah, a little long and like-sounding. i have a hard time deciphering who they remind me of...sometimes it's sparklehorse, or cymbals eat guitars or someone with the distortion...other times it's less interesting like...the gin blossoms when they break out the tambourines and that slight country twang......i think they are ok but couldn't quite understand why they were so hot earlier this year with YOUNG folks.
bongo hard or bongo home

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 03:02:56 PM »

Great to hear Dinosaur Jr. on such good form. J Mascis sounds so young on it, doesn't he?

It's one of my favourite albums of the year, to be honest.
Am Meer

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 03:08:53 PM »

Great to hear Dinosaur Jr. on such good form.
YES! they crossed my mind also.....
bongo hard or bongo home

patas

• Summer Resident
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 06:40:44 AM »

So, many 90's bands crossed my mind when I listen to this album, but I find myself not wanting to listen to the album all the way through. There are just too many songs. And the album is long.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 07:57:28 AM »

So, many 90's bands crossed my mind when I listen to this album, but I find myself not wanting to listen to the album all the way through. There are just too many songs. And the album is long.

Yeah, I found it somewhat boring.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 08:52:56 AM »

never felt motivated enough to check this out.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »

It's strange, I never really cared a ton for Dinosaur Jr. or many of the bands Yuck apes, but I really like this album.  Maybe it distills the stuff I like about those bands into a more me-pleasing format or that my focus and interest has changed.  Either way, I likes it a lot and spent a lot of time with it earlier in the year.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 06:19:14 PM »

I'm listening to the album again and right now it sounds really great. Hmmmm, this might make my best of list after all.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

Wolverine

• Summer Resident
  • :snikt:
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 06:29:44 PM »

I'm listening to the album again and right now it sounds really great. Hmmmm, this might make my best of list after all.

Hail yeah, thanks for starting this thread good sir. I listened to this over the last two days and enjoyed the songs enough to throw down some coinage for it.  Good show sir.

heh heh

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 08:56:25 AM »

I would be one of the folks who don't get this album. I trust the music taste of a lot of people who love it, like Mike Taylor and Magnet Magazine, but I find it dull and monotonous.

Do we have the next great polarizing band in the making?

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 11:08:00 AM »

I would be one of the folks who don't get this album. I trust the music taste of a lot of people who love it, like Mike Taylor and Magnet Magazine, but I find it dull and monotonous.

Do we have the next great polarizing band in the making?
possibly, but i don't think their sound is distinct enough for people to take sides, like say, animal collective......

i do leave room for the fact that i have probably listened to this album 5 or 6 times. maybe that is not enough. some are like that.
bongo hard or bongo home

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »

I thought the opposite. I thought it was pretty easy to listen to and not polarizing or experimental in any way. Geez now you've got me wondering if I'm thinking of a different album

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 11:42:28 PM »

I think it's polarizing, but the poles are different than what some of you are thinking.  It walks the line between a boring and derivative mashup of 90's sounds, and something that feels instantly familiar and kinda fun.

As opposed to "Whoa, this blew my mind" vs "What is this crappy random noise being passed off as a song?"

Personally, I'm in between.  It does feel instantly familiar and comfortable to me.  And I feel like there's some variation in the album to keep me interested in that one song sounds like Dino. Jr. and the next like Smashing Pumpkins.  At the same time, none of the songs are as good as Dinosaur Jr. or Smashing Pumpkins at their best.  And while there is variation between songs, there's not much WITHIN songs.  Like a song that sounds like Dinosaur Jr. meets Smashing Pumpkins with a twist of Nirvana and a splash of Weezer would be cool, a song that sounds exactly like Dinosaur Jr. followed by one that sounds exactly like Weezer is less cool.

In the end, the enjoyment factor of it is enough for me to like the album quite a bit, but not enough for it to deserve the kind of fawning #1 album of the year status given to it by Magnet.  You want to be #1, you have to be enjoyable AND original.  And I can easily see why other people would hate it.  I think the best thing going for it is that no other bands are mining the same retro-90's sound.  But they could easily enough, and if that would instantly sap like 90% of the fun out of the album.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 06:00:24 AM »

Yep, I'm right down the middle, too. They have that one song that I can't name for you nor even remember how it goes, but it's kinda catchy in a I'll-never-turn-it-off kinda way when it comes on the radio.
But I listened to the album, and honestly, nothing jumped out at me and said "buy this" much less "try to remember this song name or how it goes".
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up