Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Southgate House! Say it isn't so!  (Read 14228 times)

twentyshots

• City Elder
Re: Southgate House! Say it isn't so!
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 09:39:15 PM »

man.....for the first time in a long time i just had one of those "why the fuck do i still live here?" moments.
god forbid that shake it! falls by the wayside, then the holy trinity will have been completely eradicated.

bongo hard or bongo home

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 09:47:28 PM »

i'm so sad. i feel like i have to go to the last show on new years. i'm gonna need some serious gas money now.

shows i saw at southgate house (by number and year) since i kept track.

19 in 2008 (of 61)
11 in 2009 (of 33)
15 in 2010 (of 63)
12 in 2011 (of 80)

southgate house can not live by repeat artists and rockabilly alone.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 09:52:43 PM »

There really isn't anything left between small clubs and the shithole that is Bogarts.

Those "small clubs" you mention, though, have taken away a ton of booking from SGH in recent years.  Venues like Mayday in Northside (basically a bigger, better version of NST) and MOTR in OTR have taken over booking for mid-sized, nationally touring indie acts.  Plus most of them are free.  I'm not particularly fond of either as venues, but they have filled quite the void in Cincinnati as far as booking abilities go recently.  The Mad Hatter, which also just went under, had a really decent booking run themselves up until a few years ago, and then they completely simmered out as well.  It was a horrible venue though, and better suited for local stuff.

Bogart's is an afterthought.  It has it's place in history, but I don't even know why it's still brought up in these discussions.  Venue sucks, area sucks, booking sucks.  For the past 5+ years, unless you're going to some nu-metal, Insane Clown Posse or Sublime cover band show and want to get harassed about the new Short Vine headshop opening up, there's no reason to go to the place.

Madison and 20th Century are so sporadic that I forget they exist.  Maybe after all of their "sold out" fiascoes, the Madison kind of strayed away from booking.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »

joe (each note secure) just posted a theory that they might be moving into the IMAX space across the street......can't find the link at the moment......
bongo hard or bongo home

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2011, 10:40:13 PM »

Here you go:  http://www.eachnotesecure.com/southgate-house-planning-new-location/

I like Joe's theory, but I think someone licked the walls of the SGH and died from 200 year old nicotine poisoning. SGH got sued and CDC shut them down. 

noonan

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2011, 10:44:13 PM »

joe (each note secure) just posted a theory that they might be moving into the IMAX space across the street......can't find the link at the moment......

His server is wilting under the traffic so you might have to reload a couple of times. I had no idea the IMAX space was being renovated for music.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2011, 10:57:52 PM »

Add me to those that are shocked by this news. I'm sure I've attended more shows at the SGH than any other venue in Greater Cincy in the last decade.

BUT BUT the silver lining is that apparently they will move to a new spot. It'll be interesting to see where they land up
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2011, 11:03:02 PM »

Very disappointing.

I know when Lynagh's Club in Lexington closed, the owner was simply tired of running a club. They were getting by, but he'd just had enough. Something similar, perhaps?

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2011, 11:29:35 PM »

While I would still be thrilled with it re-opening with a new location, it would kind of feel like a band reforming with a new singer.  I mean, it's the SGH, the ancient mansion with three different venues inside.  I don't see how there's any way they would be able to replicate how it was.  That's just the reality of it of course.  But to think of it re-opening in anywhere other than a giant house is just extremely odd.

last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2011, 11:42:23 PM »

While I would still be thrilled with it re-opening with a new location, it would kind of feel like a band reforming with a new singer.  I mean, it's the SGH, the ancient mansion with three different venues inside.  I don't see how there's any way they would be able to replicate how it was.  That's just the reality of it of course.  But to think of it re-opening in anywhere other than a giant house is just extremely odd.

the point is of course, wherever they relocate (if they do), will they bring the same indie bands we love to see at the SGH?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2011, 08:16:07 AM »

Boo!  Lots of good memories at SGH.  It will be missed.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2011, 09:01:44 AM »

This is so sad. Southgate House was one of my early reintroductions (and on a positive note) to Cincinnati. I met some amazing woxians there, including my now boyfriend markus, JSpace, Barb (who gave me a huge hug)...so many memories. Sure, I complained about the heat, the smoke, lack of ventilation and late late starts but will it be the same if they move the venue elsewhere? No, I don't think so. Will I go see shows, I suppose but it won't be Southgate House. They might as well call it a new name because it won't be the Southgate House.

I am not a fan of Bogarts but we just went to see Beirut a few weeks ago and this was my first visit in well over 10 years and while not my first choice to see a show, I was pleasantly surprised that the sound was pretty good and it didn't seem like a crap hole inside like I remembered. Of course, I didn't venture to the toilets so that might have marred my so-so glowing review. ;)
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2011, 10:49:38 AM »

Damn, that sucks.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2011, 11:18:38 AM »

so if this rumor of relocation is true, they'll basically be booking bands to play at a mall?
bongo hard or bongo home

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2011, 11:29:48 AM »

so if this rumor of relocation is true, they'll basically be booking bands to play at a mall?
Tiffany!!!
Opulence. I has it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up