Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Southgate House! Say it isn't so!  (Read 15819 times)

pourmesometea

• Summer Resident
Re: Southgate House! Say it isn't so!
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2011, 09:57:23 PM »

so sad! it's my favorite venue. there won't ever be a place like it, the porch,the lounge, the parlor and the ballroom. so many great shows. i always felt ok to go there by myself.   sigh, goodbye great venue, it was fun

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2011, 11:01:48 PM »

First of all, glad you made the jump here, Sue!

Although I'm sad too, this is not the end of it, as it appears the venue is relocating (we don't know where). The point is that hopefully the same eclectic line-up of indie bands will continue to come our way.

I've seen over 50 shows, at least, at the SGH, and will miss the place. But things are what they are.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2011, 06:04:34 AM »

so sad! it's my favorite venue. there won't ever be a place like it, the porch,the lounge, the parlor and the ballroom. so many great shows. i always felt ok to go there by myself.   sigh, goodbye great venue, it was fun

...and the wraparound balcony with staircases on either end.
Like you I always felt fine going there alone. You could bump into friends or just wander all night. Or pick a seat in the rafters and sit.
The ambiance added to the uniqueness of the shows, and I'm sure that added to the perception of the quality of the show.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

wally

« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2011, 07:54:21 AM »

Being 67 years old, I really wonder how much effort Raleigh would want to put into trying to find a new spot for a music venue as opposed to walking away from it all and head into retirement. 

noonan

« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2011, 08:30:10 AM »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #50 on: November 30, 2011, 10:03:33 AM »

One of the comments posted on the Enquirer website was rather interesting:

pompanoro
8:09 AM on November 30, 2011

I agree, what a sad sad day.

Although I left the region more than 10 years ago, I'll NEVER forget all the shows we played there over the years.

For some of you who may remember, I was one of a select few privileged individuals who actually managed that room and booked the shows!

Voivod, Fear, Afghan Whigs, Sleep Theater, The Edge, Breeders, Simple Aggression, Omatic, Sound Mind and Stone Deep, just to name a few of my personal favs.

But Ross said it best... it's about the people, the family, great friends and many memories we all made there that NO building or venue by itself could create.

So I'm sure that whatever it is Ross has planned, it'll be great and I really do hope that ALL who read this, "WILL" support him.

For those of you regulars who may be reading this... you folks already know that Ross never really cared all that much about "making money." He really meant what he said.

Take it from someone who worked with him each and every day of my life for more than 3 years, my great friend, Mr. Raleigh is probably the most unselfish person I've EVER had the pleasure to know personally, and I'm blessed to call him my friend.

And well... that's about it. I reckon it's all about "Rebirth" now!

All love & Godspeed Ross!

Sincerely,

Jim Burke

P.S. To the hater that said the management doesn't care about the patrons... that's complete and utter nonsense and you should probably stay on the other side of the river!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

mizary

• Tourist
    • Blank Slate Brewing Company
« Reply #51 on: November 30, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »

a few of shows I saw at SGH over the years...  I am sure I saw 2x as many...  local bands...  people in the lounge...  people upstairs. bands I forgot I saw, etc...  This just what was in my google doc.

??.??.97-98? Man or Astroman? (SGH)
10.01.03 Victor Wooten (SGH)
08.27.04 The Greyhounds (SGH)
08.27.04 Mofro
10.01.04 Steve Kimock (SGH)
02.05.05 Junior Revolution (missed first few minutes), Chaselounge, Oh My God (~first hour) (SGH)
05.17.05 Rilo Kiley (SGH, newport, KY)
09.01.06 Heartless Bastards (SGH)
12.08.06 The Hold Steady (SGH)
03.16.07 Drive By Truckers @ SGH
04.18.07 MOFRO @ SGH
11.06.07 TMBG @ SGH
07.16.08 MOFRO @ SGH
08.10.08 bad veins, oxford collapse, we are scientists @ SGH
10.02.08 heartless bastards @ sgh
12.04.09 Ekoostik Hookah (SGH)

--mizary

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:29 PM »

Yo La Tengo in 2010 was the last great, and probably overall best show I saw at SGH.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »

my favorite SGH shows:

wolf parade, the walkmen, autolux, handsome furs, WHY?
bongo hard or bongo home

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 30, 2011, 09:33:57 PM »

the walkmen

That was great.  Even though they have played a lot of shows in the area, they had usually been crap billings or venues, such as opening for someone at Bogart's.  Thankfully they then played two solid headlining shows at SGH and Mad Hatter heavy on You & Me material (my favorite of theirs).  SGH was obviously superior. 
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

pourmesometea

• Summer Resident
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2011, 10:11:20 PM »

thanx for the welcome euro. is there a GIF thread here?  i saw the enquirer article today,where do you think jbm will book old 97's and mike doughty? i would like to go

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2011, 10:30:00 PM »

the walkmen

That was great.  Even though they have played a lot of shows in the area, they had usually been crap billings or venues, such as opening for someone at Bogart's.  Thankfully they then played two solid headlining shows at SGH and Mad Hatter heavy on You & Me material (my favorite of theirs).  SGH was obviously superior. 
yep. another great album we have in common.

forgot to mention band of horses. that was a good show too.
bongo hard or bongo home

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2011, 11:17:39 PM »

thanx for the welcome euro. where do you think jbm will book old 97's and mike doughty? i would like to go
hey, glad to see you here.

these shows have been rebooked to the 20th Century Theatre, I believe.

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #58 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »

these shows have been rebooked to the 20th Century Theatre, I believe.
and maybe back at southgate. i'll wait til all the bullshit is over. i'm not into soap operas.

kamera26

• Summer Resident
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »

Some of my favorite shows:

Arcade Fire-soon after Funeral was released.  I remember it was the night of the Pacers-Pistons brawl.
Band of Horses
Fruitbats/Rogue Wave
Fran Healy solo tour-hardly anyone was at this one but it was incredible. 
The National/CYHSY-this was when Alligator was hot and CYHSY was just hitting the scene.  A decent amout of people there just for CYHSY.
Andrew Bird-sold out show
Sufjan Stevens-sold out show. Touring off "Illinois."
Josh Ritter/Hem
Band of Horses
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up