Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fugazi Live Series  (Read 747 times)

daemon

• Summer Resident
Fugazi Live Series
« on: December 01, 2011, 11:43:07 AM »

The long-awaited Fugazi Live Series web site has finally been fully launched.  It pretty much lists every show they've ever done and has many of them available for download (there's a Washington Post article about it as well).  This may very well make Fugazi one of the best documented bands out there.  The one and only time I saw them in 1991 isn't available, but it sounds like an ongoing project so hopefully I'll be able to hear it at some point.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
Re: Fugazi Live Series
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 04:23:53 PM »

That's exhaustive. Great band on so many levels.
Am Meer

mizary

• Tourist
    • Blank Slate Brewing Company
Re: Fugazi Live Series
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »

I think the dead has them beat!  heh

There was also an article on pitchfork about this...

I thought this part talking about the evolution of the scene was really interesting...

Pitchfork: This is an archive and a history of Fugazi, obviously, but on a larger scale, you're getting the sounds of these different venues and different qualities of recording over the years, too.

IM: Yeah, you can hear a real shift. You listen to the late 80s recordings, you'll hear us engaging with the audience, dealing with the issues surrounding punk shows at the time. Back then, people thought you had to be a skinhead and beat the crap out of everybody when you went to a punk show. Come the early 90s, when you had this so-called grunge stuff and when videos became so dominant, you had this totally huge shift in the culture of shows. There was a yahoo factor where everyone had to crowd surf at all times. There were shows we played where there were 50 people crowd surfing at one time! It was insane, and it had nothing to do with the music. It didn't make a difference if the song was fast or loud or quiet or slow. It was behavior that was almost recreating things people saw in videos.

One of my friends was a stage hand at a Bob Dylan show in the mid-90s and I remember him telling me that somebody crowd surfed during the gig. And this friend of mine was an old punk rock guy-- he was totally humiliated by it. But some of Bob's people were there and they said, "Oh, Bob will be so excited! This is the kind of energy we want at his shows." That's where the old school was at.

Then, in the late 90s, there was a reverse. Everyone would stand stock still and be so attentive and quiet. But then, it was almost like, "C'mon people! Engage-- make a show with us!" You can hear these different eras pass through in the recordings.

--mizary
Pages: [1]   Go Up