Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cults - s/t  (Read 1211 times)

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
Cults - s/t
« on: December 04, 2011, 07:00:11 PM »

This album is so sugary sweet, listening to it will likely result in tooth decay. I really like most of it though. There are several very strong singles here.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: Cults - s/t
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »

The best lo-fi retro-pop album I've heard.

underwhelmed

• Summer Resident
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:01:37 PM »

Really like this.  In my top ten this year, for sure.  I like the songs that feature the male and female vocals best, particularly "Bumper"

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 09:13:16 PM »

I remember rva saying like 6 months ago that the Cults album is good but would be great if they didn't sound like everyone else these days. There is nothing memorable about it yet it's still just good music. Or something like that...he can correct me. I do remember thinking that I completely agreed with his assessment.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 09:30:04 PM »

I remember rva saying like 6 months ago that the Cults album is good but would be great if they didn't sound like everyone else these days. There is nothing memorable about it yet it's still just good music. Or something like that...he can correct me. I do remember thinking that I completely agreed with his assessment.
IMO the lo-fi pop sound is where the similarity to "everyone else" ends. The songwriting blows everyone else away. Every damn song is catchy. This album is far more consistently good than I don't know how many other albums I've listened to this year. (But that's me...)

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 07:50:36 AM »

yeah, i'd agree that this album stands out from others of it's ilk. really, the only drawback for me are the lyrics, and not the content; i understand the need to keep it light. it just seems that the cadence is weird sometimes. not always but enough where i notice now and then.
but that's splitting hairs. it just might crack my top 20 EOY albums....
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:15:15 PM »

It wouldn't even crack my Top 10 of similar "lo-fi" albums that came out this year.  Neither would Ringo Deathstarr, for that matter. 

Although I wouldn't argue my choices would be superior in any way.  I just think it's a matter of random personal choice which one of dozens of almost indistinguishable records happens to catch your fancy.  And perhaps to some extent because I've probably listened to way more records like that than most of you owing to my unhealthy obsession with twee/indiepop/shoegaze. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up