Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient  (Read 1146 times)

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
« on: December 03, 2011, 03:26:33 PM »

Listening to this album is like putting on an old pair of underwear that just came out of the dryer. It's comfortable and familiar.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!

cyclone

• City Elder
Re: The War on Drugs - Slave Ambient
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »

It's a very good album, perhaps a bit frontloaded, as I feel like it loses a lot of steam after a bit of a climax in Come to the City.  That's excluding Baby Missiles, though, by far the biggest highlight of the second half.  Every track in the first half is pretty killer though, even the ambient instrumental interlude (The Animator).

Ironically, Kurt Vile would go on to release his masterpiece (my favorite album of the year) the same year that the WoDs would release by far their best album after his departure.

I was also fairly disappointed when I saw them touring this album about a month ago.  The SA material was pretty brutal at times, and I'm not sure if a lot of that was due to the venue and sound or not, because from videos I've seen online, it actually sounds pretty good elsewhere.  But a song like I Was There translated so horribly live.  With the live vocal delivery, you couldn't even tell it was the same song, and in general the electronic psych accompaniment, while it works beautifully on the album, just completely killed the live mix.   
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »

Heh. Kinda makes you wonder about bands and members parting ways some times. Maybe they didn't get along in the studio or writing songs, but got along great (or at least played well together) on the road.
So a parting of the ways seems to have helped the album creativity, and perhaps they're missing that spark on the road?
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2011, 04:06:20 PM »

Buzz puts it well. This album is so easy on the ears. When songs start to sound like they're blending together something like Baby Missiles comes along and throws you around. The Dylan-esque closer Black Water Falls is another treat.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 04:15:18 PM »

So a parting of the ways seems to have helped the album creativity, and perhaps they're missing that spark on the road?

Could be.  I think a lot of the problems were Mayday's sound, but at the same time, the more ambient flourishes that work amazingly on the album probably aren't easy to translate live.  Vile's album wasn't drastically different than his previous solo material, the songwriting just all of a sudden got excellent.

I think you would dig both of these albums, friz.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.
Pages: [1]   Go Up