Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cincinnati Ballet goes nuts, "Nutcracker" changes make national news  (Read 1001 times)

Bubba McBubba

• Citizen
    • Place Logo Here

From the 12/2 Wall Street Journal:

The Cincinnati Ballet took some unusual steps to raise the more than $2 million it needed for a new, ambitious "Nutcracker" production this year.  When the Snow Queen arrives at the end of Act I, the tiara the dancer wears will be readily recognizable to local audiences: It's based on an architectural landmark, the distinctive arch that sits atop the downtown skyscraper where the Great American Insurance Group is headquartered.  The insurance company received the subtle bit of advertising, along with other benefits, in exchange for a $150,000 gift.

The new Cincinnati production, the most expensive in the company's history, includes modern touches like characters dressed as poodles and a kooky grandma with pop-and-lock moves

I know The Nutcracker is pretty much crap, but does Cincinnati really need to lower the bar so far that it includes such blatant sponsorship (I mean, within the performance itself?!?) and a robot dancing grandmother?  Christ.

What will next year bring?  Big Boy as the Mouse King?  Paul Brown as the nutcracker (I mean, as a real nutcracker--not just his day-to-day persona)?

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
Re: Cincinnati Ballet goes nuts, "Nutcracker" changes make national news
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »

Wow. This is...interesting. We have season tickets to the ballet but opt out of the Nutcracker because you really only need to see it once every 10 years or so. I would much prefer if they did other pieces, even something like their New Works series that celebrated winter or the holidays somehow. I know the Cincy Ballet has struggled the past few years in funding, especially in order to keep the orchestra funded in order to have live music (rather than a recording). The orchestra really makes a difference in my opinion and a few performances must be performed in Music Hall now because of the funding given to the orchestra (how many times I can I use the word funding???).

So in saying all of this, the advertising "gimmick" does suck but in these difficult economic times, as long as it is subtle and doesn't scream GAIG, then I say, go for it.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:25:17 PM »

I'm gonna auction off naming rights for my car. It could be a moving billboard!
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:29:22 PM »

Can you truly fault the Cincinnati Ballet for this? I dunno. They are, like all performing arts, looking to get extra revenue where they can get it. I mean, if it is the difference between getting the Nutcracker staged or not.

Like Jen, I am a HUGE fan of the Cincinnati Ballet. These are tough times for performing arts. I am not upset about this latest gimmick. I am more concerned about the long-time viability of the Cincinnati Ballet and the Cincinnati Symphony, both of which I cherish.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Doug

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2011, 12:34:19 PM »

Yawn!  Let me know when they institute the crotchless tutus.

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2011, 04:19:49 PM »

Yawn!  Let me know when they institute the crotchless tutus.
Doug, that's usually my tutu of choice to wear when I'm not at work. I have a magenta one and a tangerine one, both are exceedingly pretty, but I don't have a favourite. I like to change between the two depending on my mood that day. Check your PM's for photos.
Am Meer

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 05:58:09 PM »

I'm more ok with the architectural tiara than the pop-n-lock dancing granny.  :)

As someone who works in the world of non-profit and has seen our grants and funding sources diminish in the last few years, this seems pretty reasonable.  $150,000 for a tiara and other benefits is pretty good! In my institution (a museum), if you were willing to give us that much, we'd just about permanently re-name the building for you.

And, the Nutcracker is a cash-cow in so many places. I'd imagine that the people who go to see it are the ones who don't go to any other performance in the year. If this allows the Cincy ballet to do other, more cutting edge pieces throughout the year, then suck it up and take the money.

Just my two cents!

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:56:09 PM »

Yawn!  Let me know when they institute the crotchless tutus.
Doug, that's usually my tutu of choice to wear when I'm not at work. I have a magenta one and a tangerine one, both are exceedingly pretty, but I don't have a favourite. I like to change between the two depending on my mood that day. Check your PM's for photos.

You get the Skyline Chili Post of the Day for that.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, 01:24:21 PM »

It's not about the Nutcracker, BUT:

The Cincinnati Ballet and BalletMet Columbus are putting on a joint production of Swan Lake this coming weekend here in Cincinnati (at the Aronoff). It's being touted as a "full stage" production, whatever that means (as opposed to a "half stage" production?).

Anyway, really looking forward to this.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 02:01:13 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Rafe

• Bit of a cunt
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, 03:07:29 PM »

Where's Doug when I need him most...
Am Meer

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 03:50:33 PM »

It's not about the Nutcracker, BUT:

The Cincinnati Ballet and BalletMet Columbus are putting on a joint production of Swan Lake this coming weekend here in Cincinnati (at the Aronoff). It's being touted as a "full stage" production, whatever that means (as opposed to a "half stage" production?).

Anyway, really looking forward to this.

Me too. I love ballet season. So does anyone know if Columbus is still without orchestra? I know the last time Cincy collaborated with BalletMet, my friend who lives in Columbus was jealous we had live music vs a recording.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler
Pages: [1]   Go Up