Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 43   Go Down

Author Topic: Spotify Playlists  (Read 40959 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: Spotify Playlists
« Reply #585 on: April 05, 2018, 07:53:57 PM »

Yes. I lasted one, maybe two albums before signing up for Premium.
x2

I think $10 a month is a small price to pay for the amount I use the service.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #586 on: April 05, 2018, 11:01:29 PM »

It's just not for me, I guess. I love playing CDs in my stereo.

Not to mention that Spotify criminally underpays the artists.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #587 on: April 06, 2018, 07:59:57 AM »

Not to mention that Spotify criminally underpays the artists.
Yes, they need to pay artists more. No doubt.

But look at it this way: I stream an album and decide whether I like it enough to buy it. If I don't, I've saved some money. If I do, the artist gets the sale, plus whatever spotify pays them, because I still stream it. You just pay the artist once for the album. I pay them in perpetuity a little extra.

It's a realistic service for me, as I don't have the budget to buy all the music I'd like to. But I listen to music all the time. I have to keep finding new stuff because I get tired of the same stuff over and over again. All the new bands I discovered ten years ago are tired for me now. I have CDs galore from amazing bands I just never listen to anymore. I can't keep adding to this collection indiscriminately. Spotify lets me spend time with an album before deciding if it makes the cut.

Spotify pays based on percentages, so the more people who use it to listen to indie artists the more those indie artists will get paid.

I once asked the guy who runs the label Vandaveer is on about income from spotify. He didn't give me figures, of course, but he said it was more than he expected it to be.

It's just not for me, I guess. I love playing CDs in my stereo.
I love spinning vinyl, but can't manage that in the car very well. ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 08:02:38 AM by luisterpaul »

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #588 on: April 20, 2018, 10:50:58 AM »

Since I joined the Spotify community in 2011 I have purchased a shit-ton more music than I did in previous years, mainly because I now have the ability to listen to the music before shelling out the cash. Frankly, before I had Spotify in my life, I'd gotten burned numerous times buying albums that were not worth the money - to the point where I had stopped buying ANY new music.

Spotify also offers a great way to discover new artists. Listen to an artist you already know and like, check out the "Related Artists" feature and pretty soon I've disappeared down the rabbit hole of discovery. It's hella easier and quicker than the olden days, when I relied on music reviews in DIY zines, music mags and even 97X.

To me, ten bucks for this resource is an absolute STEAL. Hope they never find out that I'd happily pay more ...

virgil p colon

• City Elder
« Reply #589 on: April 20, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »

I agree and resemble all point made on this post.

Since I joined the Spotify community in 2011 I have purchased a shit-ton more music than I did in previous years, mainly because I now have the ability to listen to the music before shelling out the cash. Frankly, before I had Spotify in my life, I'd gotten burned numerous times buying albums that were not worth the money - to the point where I had stopped buying ANY new music.

Spotify also offers a great way to discover new artists. Listen to an artist you already know and like, check out the "Related Artists" feature and pretty soon I've disappeared down the rabbit hole of discovery. It's hella easier and quicker than the olden days, when I relied on music reviews in DIY zines, music mags and even 97X.

To me, ten bucks for this resource is an absolute STEAL. Hope they never find out that I'd happily pay more ...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #590 on: April 20, 2018, 01:12:09 PM »

I don't purchase any music at all anymore, and I gave way my entire CD collection of 1500 or so CD's last year when I moved.

Optimally, Spotify should give more money to the artists.  But it doesn't matter.  If they charged more money, people would just stop using Spotify and pirate everything.  And under the current fee structure, Spotify isn't even making a profit because of what they pay for licenses.  So Spotify is already dying or dead.

The bad news is that the vast majority of people do not care enough about music to want to pay for it.  The good news is, it turns out that there are ridiculously talented people all over the world who love making music and are happy to release it for free.  They just never had an avenue.

In retrospect, I think we can look at the music era from maybe 1930-2000 as weird anomaly in cultural history.  We're essentially back to the way it always has been.  People listening to wandering bards and songs becoming popular via word of mouth but with no one making money off of them.  It's just happening online now.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #592 on: May 07, 2018, 03:27:02 AM »

OK . . . I'll throw my hat in the ring . . .

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #593 on: May 12, 2018, 12:22:50 PM »

OK . . . I'll throw my hat in the ring . . .

good!
bongo hard or bongo home

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #595 on: June 16, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »

That DMA's song (For Now) has some Stone Roses vibes to it.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #597 on: August 01, 2018, 08:32:58 AM »

twentyshots

• City Elder