Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Elections  (Read 32479 times)

Markalot

• Citizen
2012 Elections
« on: December 12, 2011, 07:29:10 AM »

So where did we leave off.

All candidates, including Obama, suck.  We're doomed.   

Something like that.

How about this.  Gingrich has made a remarkable comeback.  and the media (whoever that is)  is going crazy telling us how unelectable he is.  He just might win this thing unless Obama can consistently stand for something ... anything.
-- Mark

luisterpaul

• City Elder
Re: 2012 Elections
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 07:59:15 AM »

I never saw Newt's upsurge coming -- well, that sounds dirty -- but he seems to have played it smart, saving it for a sprint as they approach the finish line. His only real competition now is Romney, and he looks to be imploding. I'd be surprised if Newt beat Obama, but stranger things have happened:

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 08:21:18 AM »

If Newt wins the nomination, Obama won't have to do dick but watch Newt beat himself.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 08:33:31 AM »

Opulence. I has it.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 09:18:21 AM »

Newt's latest comments about the "invented people" is yet another good example of un-electability.  Plays well with the right, but way too inflammatory for people to forget during the national election.  You have to say things your base loves but that can also be forgotten.
-- Mark

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 11:02:40 AM »

Here's an interesting blog entry on newt, and some interesting discussion IF you want to know what 'conservatives' are thinking. 

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/why-the-establishment-doesnt-like-newt-gingrich/

via a Washington Post opinion piece.
-- Mark

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 06:22:49 PM »

I dunno, I think, in a twisted way, Newt's bucking of the establishment may help him. No one likes one bit of anything having to do with Capitol Hill these days, and even though he has a rep as a consummate insider, Newt's ruffling of said insiders' feathers may endear him to voters who want someone to poke sticks in people's guts on Capitol Hill a bit. Drive out the demons, y'know?
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

iconoclast420

• Summer Resident
    • Google+
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 09:52:48 PM »

I hope Newt does not get the nomination he is too much of a crooked opportunist to be an ethical president.

For his efforts to stop conservative legislators from working to end government involvement in housing, Newt got $1.6 million from Freddie Mac for being their historian. He must have been the highest paid historian in history.

He called the Ryan plan "right wing social engineering"

He did a TV spot on global warming with Nancy Pelosi.

I bet he even had Callista sign the marriage license in pencil.

Maybe next time he changes his mind he will get one that works.
"Never trust quotes you see on the internet"
- Abraham Lincoln

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 07:41:31 AM »

I dunno, I think, in a twisted way, Newt's bucking of the establishment may help him. No one likes one bit of anything having to do with Capitol Hill these days, and even though he has a rep as a consummate insider, Newt's ruffling of said insiders' feathers may endear him to voters who want someone to poke sticks in people's guts on Capitol Hill a bit. Drive out the demons, y'know?
The more I think about this, I really see the brilliance in it. If the Newt spins this correctly, it really could keep him a viable candidate through the whole race.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:52:56 PM »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 10:59:40 PM »

Methinks it all doesn't matter. As weak as Obama has performed, there simply isn't a credible Republican candidate. Obama will win re-election.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:00:13 AM »

juggles

• Tourist
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 10:41:14 AM »

I've been saying for a long time that I think Newt is in a good spot. He's got good name recognition. He's politically experienced but he's been out of office long enough that you can't hold him directly accountable for any current problems and American's memories are short enough to forget why we grew to dislike him when he was in office. He's spent the last several years sucking up to the far right. He sounds like a grown up when he speaks and the GOP is in desperate need of a grown up right now.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 11:17:57 AM »

Well, there's that, but then there's his penchant for espousing his wacky ideas in public forums.  If he keeps up with his "made up people" and "make poor children clean toilets" comments he's going to have a hard time getting elected.  I'm not even discussing the merits of those arguments (he's essentially right about the Palestinians IMO) those just aren't things that you go out and drop on people during a campaign.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »

Received an email from my congressman, Geoff Davis.  Not running next year.

I've sent him a few emails reminding him I am a registered repub and did not like the job he was doing.  I guess others did as well?  In short,  this country was founded on compromise, not division, and I don't want talk radio running the country.

It's probably not a sign of the repubs in real trouble, but I'm hoping it's at least a sign most incumbents are going to have a rough time getting re-elected.

Friends:

In order to devote more time to my family, I have decided not to seek re-election to the U.S. House of Representatives.

It is an honor to have the trust and confidence of the citizens of Kentucky’s Fourth Congressional District.

I have been blessed with an exceptionally competent staff who have helped thousands of Kentuckians over the years.  Moreover, together we have passed critical pieces of legislation and enacted laws to reform our government, strengthen our national security, protect our veterans and service members, create economic revival and energy independence, and improve transparency and accountability of the government.

As Chairman of the Ways and Means’ Subcommittee on Human Resources, we have set a new tone that combines genuine concern for the least among us, with pragmatic process reforms that are both compassionate and conservative.  That attitude and focus have produced real results and proactive bi-partisan legislation, despite the negative partisan climate in Washington.  Indeed, we have proven that people of diverse world views can find common ground and produce meaningful results.

I thank the people of Kentucky's Fourth District for this honor and look forward to continued service to our community and to our Republic in other capacities as I return to the private sector.  I also want to thank my friend and mentor, former Senator Jim Bunning, for his example of steadfast character and unimpeachable integrity in service.

Most of all, I thank my wonderful wife Pat and our children for their unfailing love, grace under pressure, and tireless encouragement in answering this call to serve.

I am grateful that I live in a country where a boy like me, growing up with little hope, could walk a path by God's grace that has allowed me to encounter His peace, the joy of true love, and service at the highest levels of our elected national government.  Truly, we are blessed in this Republic.

Sincerely,

Geoff Davis
Member of Congress

Article:  http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/AB/20111215/NEWS0103/312150177/Davis-won-t-seek-re-election?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 08:24:57 AM by Markalot »
-- Mark
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 33   Go Up