Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33   Go Down

Author Topic: 2012 Elections  (Read 35760 times)

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
Re: 2012 Elections
« Reply #465 on: November 08, 2012, 10:13:21 AM »

Mandel seems like the type of dude who will have a major sex scandal in a couple years.

There was a rumor going around, but take it with a HUGE grain of salt, because I heard it from Ohio Democratic circles, that Mandel's wife is filing for divorce after the election.
I am not a dude

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #466 on: November 08, 2012, 10:29:28 AM »

He has zero personality...  And then there's the fact that even tremendous power couldn't make this guy seem like somebody you'd want to bone.
You'd be surprised.  The 40 year old version of Ann from Arrested Development, who was the MN Senate majority leader, was having an affair with a senate staffer.  I still haven't wrapped my head around that one.  All I can think is, "Her?"

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #467 on: November 08, 2012, 10:35:25 AM »

Mandel seems like the type of dude who will have a major sex scandal in a couple years.
I agree. Unlike Kwij's notion of him boning an intern, I think it will more likely involve rape or children. I really, really hope I am wrong. But dude is damned creepy.

I guess that's possible, I was thinking along the lines of consensual sex scandals.  If anything he seems like the kind of guy that turns out to be a closet sociopath.  He'd be the guy you'd vote most likely to go on a sniping spree, or drive a u-haul full of fertilizer into a Federal Building.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #468 on: November 08, 2012, 10:48:53 AM »

You would think.  They took a pretty bad ass-kicking last night.  Given the current socioeconomic/culture at the moment, conditions were good for them to make some gains.  Instead they lost the Presidency and a bunch of seats in the Senate and their social agenda was pretty strongly repudiated.

If you're going to lose, it's better to lose under your own terms than someone else's.  The Tea Party lost under their own terms and can blame the GOP for the loss in conservative values.  The GOP lost under the Tea Party's terms and yet has no one to blame but themselves.

I'm not sure I'm so sad as to how they don't seem to get it.  The old school republican stance on many social issues is people need to learn for themselves, so let's see the republican party continue into the abyss until they learn for themselves.  Rush is already touting the 'more conservative' line.  :)  

My belief is the house stayed republican not because people like them but because there is no real motivation to shake things up while democrats control the senate and white house.  In other words when many voters go to the polls and look at their representative choice I believe they will tend to stick with who they have unless they feel a need to change the way things work.  Since most (barely) are still uncomfortable with how healthcare was rammed through when the dems controlled everything they didn't feel a need to vote for a change to their representative.

I believe if the polls had shown a big victory margin for Romney then we would have seen the dems picking up a lot of seats in the house.  In the same vein, the reason the dems were able to get it all in 2008 was because the polls were so close and voters could not be certain who would be in power.  Continuing in this theme the repubs will continue to hold the house in 2014 and many will believe this is a sign people like them.  It's not, it's a sign people know how they need to vote in the crappy 2 party system we have.  In 2016 the republicans will once again lose the presidency, probably worse than this time around (assuming the dems don't nominate a really bad candidate).  Then, maybe, they will get it.

-- Mark

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #469 on: November 08, 2012, 11:04:31 AM »

The old school republican stance on many social issues is people need to learn for themselves, so let's see the republican party continue into the abyss until they learn for themselves.  Rush is already touting the 'more conservative' line. :) 
Got this press release yesterday.

Tea Party Vows "No Retreat"

Promise to search out candidates with clear conservative records; no more Dole-McCain-Romney nominees
WASHINGTON D.C. - Leaders of the Tea Party News Network (TPNN) and TheTeaParty.net offered an unflinching assessment of Election Day results.  Todd Cefaratti, editor of the Tea Party News Network said, "We're disappointed in Governor Romney's loss. But this goes to the heart of what we have been saying all along. Bob Dole didn't win. John McCain didn't win. And now Mitt Romney hasn't won. The lesson the GOP and Americans need to learn is that weak-kneed Republicans do not get elected. Conservatives do."

"The Tea Party has not yet begun to fight. It's time for a wholesale reassessment of the D.C. establishment politicians and party grandees who have no commitment or courage to reduce the size of government. We now have another four years ahead of us with Barack Obama leading the charge against liberty,"  TPNN News Director Scottie Hughes said.  "There were some bright spots tonight from Ted Cruz to Jeff Flake, to a decisive win in the U.S. House where Tea Partiers have a mandate to stand against Obama's big government second-term agenda. "

"I eagerly await the day the GOP establishment figures out that the 'safe' candidates are not getting the job done," stated Hughes. "The GOP needs to adhere to stricter ideological purity and put forth candidates that represent a significant difference in viewpoint from the Democrats that are creating devastating policies for Americans. The Republican Party has been shoving 'their' candidate down the throats of conservatives for years, and it's not working. It's time for them to wake up."

Cefaratti said, "We are disappointed tonight, but tomorrow morning the work begins. We will search every corner of this country for strong conservatives, not wishy-washy moderates. There's a change coming to our national politics, and TheTeaParty.net and the Tea Party News Network will be on the frontlines waging this battle."
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #470 on: November 08, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »

Those that don't learn from history ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater

Go go tea party!
-- Mark

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #471 on: November 08, 2012, 11:52:09 AM »

Yes, because Romney's problem was that not enough republicans voted?
really?
I heard that this am on NPR too, that Rove and Trump were saying that it's because the candidate didn't appeal enough to the conservatives.  Hello, that's the ONLY group that was appealed to.

Also, can't belive that this wasn't brough up, but what the HELL is wrong with Trump?
I mean, besides the obvious.
Those Tweets were insane.  I mean, really, they were nutz.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #472 on: November 08, 2012, 12:18:51 PM »

I'm not sure I'm so sad as to how they don't seem to get it.  The old school republican stance on many social issues is people need to learn for themselves, so let's see the republican party continue into the abyss until they learn for themselves.  Rush is already touting the 'more conservative' line.  :)  

Perfect summary of the state of the Republican party, especially the more extremist side.   They prefer to take silly stances, act like children, lose and complain about it than to actually try and get something done. 

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #473 on: November 08, 2012, 12:44:16 PM »

Almost every person on every station (even FoxNews) nailed exactly what the repubs have to do, but I doubt any of them are going to listen.  They have crafted themselves almost entirely a party of old, white men.  They lost the youth vote. They lost the women's vote.  They lost every minority's vote. The only thing they won was white men over 40.  They need to figure out that excluding everyone but white men is just a bad idea. The US is changing, and the republican party needs to figure out they need to change with it or they are going to become irrelevant fairly quickly.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Juliana

• City Elder
« Reply #474 on: November 08, 2012, 12:51:04 PM »

Wed on the Today show, Chuck Todd basically said that if the Repubs dont' start courting the Hispanic vote FOR REALZ, that they will lose TX and AZ in the near future.
We all agree that genocide, avalanches, and Family Circus are not funny
-Ed Helms

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #475 on: November 08, 2012, 01:52:11 PM »

Yes, because Romney's problem was that not enough republicans voted?
really?
I heard that this am on NPR too, that Rove and Trump were saying that it's because the candidate didn't appeal enough to the conservatives.  Hello, that's the ONLY group that was appealed to.

I heard the NPR comment too and it gets a hearty WTF? from me.  If you're the type that had your mind made up to vote republican he was fine, even my mother (a hardline evangelical type that would be the kind to not vote for him just because he's mormon) voted for him.  If he didn't appeal to anybody it was the people that didn't have any particular affiliation in the first place, to those people he seemed like a massive douche.  A lot of those people voted for Obama because they prefer simply being slightly disgruntled over being governed by someone they saw as an uppity asshole.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #476 on: November 08, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

Almost every person on every station (even FoxNews) nailed exactly what the repubs have to do, but I doubt any of them are going to listen. 

What I have found interesting about all the quotes about that is the phrasing that was used.  It was like "cater to minorities" or "target minorities" or "bring women into the fold" or something.

You don't have to "cater" to those groups, you just have to stop going immensely out of your way to be absolute cocksucking assholes to them.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #477 on: November 08, 2012, 05:52:39 PM »

Almost every person on every station (even FoxNews) nailed exactly what the repubs have to do, but I doubt any of them are going to listen. 

What I have found interesting about all the quotes about that is the phrasing that was used.  It was like "cater to minorities" or "target minorities" or "bring women into the fold" or something.

You don't have to "cater" to those groups, you just have to stop going immensely out of your way to be absolute cocksucking assholes to them.
In other words, they have to stop being themselves.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #478 on: November 08, 2012, 07:47:50 PM »

Well yeah.   ;D   No actually that's a bit of a cheapshot.

But I meant it in a more cynical/political way.  I think that Romney just doesn't hate gays, or women, or blacks.  I mean, maybe he has some religious issues with gays and doesn't think they should marry but it's not something that fuels his fire.  I just don't think he's that passionate about things, which is why he came across so badly when he tried to be all right-wing. He's not a rabble-rouser, but his milque-toasty ways make him very reliable.

The thing is, if the conservatives somehow passed an anti-gay marriage amendment and got it to Romney's desk, does anyone think he would actually veto it?  The far-right is just too paranoid.  It's not enough to be pro-life, you have to be more pro-life than everyone else which leads to stupid people saying remarkably stupid things about rape.  If you put Romney in the Oval Office he will appoint some conservative justices and you get your way.  Abortion banned, victory achieved.  You don't have to go for the extra point by personally kicking women in the uterus.

As a liberal, I don't worry about the Tea Party.  I worry about people like Bob McDonnell here in VA.  He is personally as conservative as they come, but as a governor he has steadfastly avoided going too far right.  Like when the GA wanted to have transvaginal ultrasounds, he told them to back off.  Granted, he still signed a bill to mandate jellybelly ultrasounds so I'm not saying I would ever elect the guy nor do I like him.  But that is probably the most controversial thing he's done.  For the most part he has stayed mainstream.  I don't trust the guy for a second but it is more about what he MIGHT do than his actual track record.  I could see a lot of mainstream Republicans voting for him.

But conservative as he is, McDonnell still comes across as far less of a hater than most of Congress.  And Romney is far more reasonable than McDonnell.  Plenty of other strong conservatives are as well.  Christie is another guy who is not afraid to speak his mind strongly when he hates something, but he doesn't hate EVERYTHING... he has some sort of priority list and he also doesn't go farther than he needs to to get the job done.  It's about policy (and ego, but ego in a smart political way). 

Romney lost by a pretty small margin, so even with gays and minorities on the upswing compared to white old men I don't think this was quite the seachange swing liberals hoped for.  And I think Romney lost less because of what he said, but because no one believed what he said on account of some other conservatives saying stupid stuff that made people not trust too much power in conservative hands. 

It kinda goes back to what markalot said.  If the GOP were more moderate I think Romney would have won.  But I think a lot of voters were worried that the Tea Party would actually be calling the shots and Romney wouldn't stop them and some of the stuff the Tea Party was saying was insane even to fairly social conservative voters.  And they were right about it.  So if the Tea Party would have just kept their mouths shut secure in the knowledge that they would get their way I think Romney would have won.

frizgolf

• City Elder
« Reply #479 on: November 08, 2012, 08:08:04 PM »

Ohioans struck down a ballot measure yesterday that would have kept gerrymandering in check.  Have to believe that 95% of the people that voted against it had no idea what they were voting on.
The way I read it gerrymandering would be done by state-paid appointed committee as opposed to the present system.
I have no trust in government-funded boards to do any better than what is being done now.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33   Go Up