Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 113   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 86300 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #1320 on: September 22, 2018, 12:58:43 AM »

So tired of all this Kavanaugh drama.

The President should appoint the most qualified person in their mind, and Congress should investigate that person and confirm they are at least reasonably qualified.  If they are, then vote them in.  Anyone who deviates from this process should be voted out of office.  It's pretty much that simple.

The President is NOT appointing the most qualified person, but rather the youngest and most staunchly conservative person.  So, he should be voted out of office.

Congress is not investigating Kavanaugh to see if it he is reasonably qualified, because he clearly is.  He's not the BEST person, or even in the top 5, but he's easily qualified.  But the GOP isn't investigating Kavanaugh at all, they only care about him being conservative.  And the Democrats only want him thrown out because of his conservative views.  So, they should all be voted out of office.

Instead we're asking the FBI to investigate some sort of sexual assault that may or may not have happened 30 years ago, and people are trying to come up with conspiracy theories using Zillow.

This is a farce.  Everyone on both sides should be voted out of office for this.  Unfortunately, the voters are the biggest joke of all.

are any of the sitting justices the most qualified?   
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1321 on: September 22, 2018, 03:04:02 PM »

If I had to pick a Supreme Court from scratch of the nine best justices, Ginsburg and Kennedy would both be on it, no question.  I donít know how much Ginsburg still has left in the tank but she still seems pretty sharp.  And definitely when she was picked she was the best out there.

I hate Alitoís politics but he is a good writer and decision maker.  I feel like he reaches his decision first, then comes up with some legal theory to back it up but he knows his shit and in the end his arguments  are at least okay and well-written so I canít really harsh on him too much purely as a justice.  Sotomayor is sort of the equivalent on the liberal side.

Gorsuch was pretty qualified.  Itís tough because IMO, Garland was the MOST qualified and is like Hall of Fame good.  So it makes Gorsuch look kind of bad in comparison but that is a bit unfair to him.  But Garland and Posner are two of the best ever, and it is ridiculous that neither one of them ever even got a chance. 

Kagan was a straight up political appointment, I think perhaps justifiable in that one can argue it is good to have at least one justice with more of a non-judicial background.  She was certainly respected as a legal scholar.  But ehh... itís a little sketchy.

I feel about Kavanaugh the way I do about Kagan.  Heís been fast-tracked his whole career, which peopleuse to point out his brilliance.  But really itís because he is young, and crazy conservative and outspoken about it.  He moves up fast because of his political fit, not his brilliant legal mind.  But tbf, he is not unqualified, either.  Heís just sort of a borderline pick.  Unless the nominee is just crazy wrong, Congress should let the  go through.  Kavanaugh is not close to being crazy wrong for the position, thereís just also quite a few better picks.

Thomas was picked 100% because he is black and conservative.  He was horribly unqualified for the job.  Far and away the worst pick in my lifetime.

Breyer was not really that qualified when picked.  But now heís been there for a long time and experience counts.  Heís turned out to be a pretty decent pick.  He was a bad appointment but I will cut him some slack as heís BECOME qualified.  Thomas gets some slack as well for the same reasons but he really just doesnít do a whole lot.  Hardly ever asks any questions or writes opinions.  Has gotten better recently though.

But none of this matters. No one cares whether the justices from a legal standpoint. Just how they will rule on abortion.  And if you are on the wrong side, theyíll use anything BUT your legal qualifications against you. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1322 on: September 23, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »

So now a second woman comes forward with an accusation against Kavanaugh's behavior decades ago (exposing himself). I'm sure it's all true. Does that disqualify him? Times have changed. Do you remember all the crazy stuff you did in college? And thought, hey, maybe this will come up 30+ years later when I'm in a position to become a Supreme Court justice?

Not that I'm defending any of that behavior, mind ya.

It just seems so, I don't know, surreal?
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1323 on: September 24, 2018, 12:35:15 AM »

The GOP leadership and Trump are being stupid about this, IMO.

Itís pretty obvious no one cares about legal qualifications.  Which means there are literally dozens of people they can appoint who would vote similarly to Kavanaugh.  I think at some point they really will be able to force the conversation they want, and which tbf is probably necessary.

Which is yeah, everyone has probably done something wrong in their lives.  Just keep nominating people.  At some point someone will get through, or voters will finally get tired of every person not being 100% morally perfect.

Seriously, itís not like you have to be that crazy conservative to be pro-NRA and pro-choice.  Nominate a woman who is maybe a smidge more centrist.  Is it worth the damage to the Dems to attack a woman on a borderline piece of behavior at even if they win, the next nominee is likely to be worse?

But because of extreme paranoia and the need to never back down, they are going all in on Kavanaugh.  Now you have Trump accusing alleged victims and saying all sorts of stupid stuff and turning Kavanaugh into a symbol of the war against men or something.  Heís not.  Heís just an easily replaceable candidate for the Supreme Court.

Some of Congress gets this.  But Trump is not listening to them.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1324 on: September 24, 2018, 12:55:33 AM »

The way the GOP is handling the whole Kavanaugh thing is just one more factor that I think will turn the midterms into a blue wave the likes we haven't seen in many years, and I'll be the first one at the voter booth to vote accordingly.

I just read Ken Starr's new memoir on the Clinton investigation 20 years ago. Wow, just wow. The final conclusion for me is that nobody is above the law, not then (Clinton), and now now (Trump).

I foresee rough seas ahead in DC...
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1325 on: September 24, 2018, 06:53:35 AM »

So now a second woman comes forward with an accusation against Kavanaugh's behavior decades ago (exposing himself). I'm sure it's all true. Does that disqualify him? Times have changed. Do you remember all the crazy stuff you did in college? And thought, hey, maybe this will come up 30+ years later when I'm in a position to become a Supreme Court justice?
The bigger issue to me is that this stuff is so glossed over that nothing was thought of it when it happened. I can honestly say I have no fear of anyone from my high school or college (or later) days coming forward with any claims of sexual assault or abuse against me, because I never sexually assaulted anyone. The idea that people can eventually be held at least a little accountable for sexual assault is at least somewhat comforting. Unfortunately, women have to do the math and figure out if them coming forward when this happens is worth it because they will be the one on trial and they will probably be punished more than the perpetrator.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1326 on: September 24, 2018, 08:16:38 AM »

Yea, I went to parties, got drunk, had half nekkid girls around.  For some reason I never forced myself on any of them or exposed myself to the crowd.   Guess I'm just not very social.   ::)

... not that anyone would have noticed.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 08:24:59 AM by Markalot »
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1327 on: September 24, 2018, 10:55:07 AM »

But the women at those parties apparently exposed themselves to the crowd.  Should they be disallowed from being Supreme Court justices?  Like, if Amy Coney Barrett got trashed at a party and took her top off, and she were attacked for doing so, would that be #metoo or #slutshaming?

The high school allegations if true are obviously problematic.  The thing where he wants sexy interns is even more of an issue (again, if true), since that is a repeated pattern of behavior and it also indicates how widely known it was that dude had issues.

But I honestly can't get too worked up about a drunk dude whipping his schlong out at a frat party.  It's not cool at all and definitely inappropriate and all that but it's not devastating.  I have seen many penises, even more breasts and some vags at college parties.  Also many drunken fights, vandalism, public urination (which also involve exposure), and inappropriate and unwanted (but non-physical) advances.  If Kavanaugh had hauled off and slugged someone at a party, he wouldn't be facing the same scrutiny.  But an assault to me is much worse than nudity.

I also don't believe that not actually having done anything necessarily insulates you from being accused.  For a regular person, there's no gain in an otherwise female stranger accusing them of sexual assault or harassment.  So I believe that sexual assaults are indeed vastly under-reported and we should in general believe the accusers.

But there are a lot of whacky people in the world with grudges, who are just crazy, or politically brainwashed.  When you are talking about a national politics, I think either party can find someone out there to say you behaved inappropriately.  If there's no other evidence on this guy other than one woman saying it, I'm not gonna say he is guilty.  I realize that makes it difficult for women, but at some point there's just nothing that can be done.  A sexual assault done in private is hard to prove.  That's just the way it is, unfortunately.  Doesn't mean it doesn't happen all the time, but if it's one person's word against another with apparently no other eyewitnesses and the person being accused is someone where there's a lot of people looking for reasons to gun them down, I am going to give the victim the benefit of the doubt.

But I'm also kind of unsympathetic to GOP, because while the Kavanaugh stuff may be a farce, it's a farce they created and are still actively participating in.  They could have named Amy Coney Barrett and she would probably be sitting on the bench right now.  They didn't, because I don't think they trust women on Roe v Wade even if they are nutso religious.  They wanted the hand-groomed, entirely controlled person.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1328 on: September 24, 2018, 02:10:10 PM »

I think there is a difference between getting naked and forcing it on someone else. From my understanding, it isn't so much that Kavanaugh whipped it out, he shoved it in her face, which is a different thing. Now, we also don't know the details since there still has not been any investigation into any of it, but to me if you are putting it in other people's faces, that is sexual assault versus running through the room naked or even just standing around with your dick out. The key to all this is that should be an investigation to determine what is true or at least give us more information on who is more believable. that way, if it is just an invented allegation, everyone can see that it isn't believable. If it is a legitimate allegation, that can be determined as well.
1+2+2+1

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1329 on: September 24, 2018, 10:57:40 PM »

Got home early tonight. Watched a couple of minutes of the 6:30 NBC News Tonight, and apparently several others at that Yale party where Kavanaugh allegedly exposed himself, contradict that version of the facts.

Honestly, it's impossible to figure out what happened or not, 30+ years after the facts. Not to mention HS alleged incidents, 35+ years ago.

Not that I am pro-Kavanaugh, mind ya. I really don't care one way or another about the guy.

I remember my days growing up in Belgium in HS and in college (in the 70s and early 80s). Lots of crazy stuff as boozing seemed to be the norm. I never sexually assaulted any girl/young woman, although lots of hanky-panky, with both sides indulging. But if any of them now made an accusation about me, I don't know how I could defend myself at this point, 35-40 years later.

The bigger political picture is the staunch Trump and GOP stand. I'm guessing it'll just play out more in the midterms, with women coming out ever more so to vote, and that will lead to what I suspect will be a blue wave. And I'll be the first one to join them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1330 on: September 25, 2018, 09:22:40 AM »

were all these women pretty confident kavanaugh was going to eventually be in the running for supreme court justice? 

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1331 on: September 25, 2018, 10:54:10 AM »

were all these women pretty confident kavanaugh was going to eventually be in the running for supreme court justice?
I can't really speak for them, but there is really no way to ever be confident of someone being in the running for a SCOTUS position. First, it depends on who the president is when a justice leaves, so that alone makes it a crapshoot. Second, there are always names being thrown around as future SCOTUS picks, but the reality is that there are so few SCOTUS nominations that it is always a total crapshoot. Hell, even now, people are saying Amy Barrett could be the next nominee is Kavanaugh doesn't get it, but even that isn't a sure thing and is just guess work, and that is happening right now. Now try and imagine who might get the nod in 5 years and you have really no real chance.
1+2+2+1

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1332 on: September 25, 2018, 11:31:39 AM »

i'm not saying they're lying either, just, if he never got nominated would they ever come forward?  maybe just sit on it until he gets to the height of his profession

i've also heard good things about this garland fella.  what kind of president would nominate him? 

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #1333 on: September 25, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »

i'm not saying they're lying either, just, if he never got nominated would they ever come forward?  maybe just sit on it until he gets to the height of his profession

i've also heard good things about this garland fella.  what kind of president would nominate him?
They may never have come forward, but then again a lot of people was are sexually assaulted never come forward. It is probably easier to live with when you don't have to see the person who assaulted you on TV being praised for being a great person. There are a lot of reason people don't come forward and just as many reasons when they finally do. Many of the children assaulted by priests waited a long time to come forward, but they didn't get nearly the scrutiny these women received. The reason someone comes forward or doesn't come forward really has no bearing on anything. What matters is what actually happened.
1+2+2+1

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1334 on: September 25, 2018, 03:25:45 PM »

The solution is just so simple.

Get Kavanaugh to withdraw.  The far right screams about how a great man has been besmirched.  The moderate right is non-committal and just says "Hey, it's his choice.  We'll get another fantastic person up there soon."

You don't need this resolved before mid-terms.  It's probably better if it isn't.  The right cares a ton about judicial nominees.  You are looking at a possible enthusiasm gap problem.  What better way to get people to the polls than if there's a S. Ct. position in the balance.

Like the GOP just blatantly violated the constitution by refusing to hear a S. Ct. nominee who they knew was qualified, just so they could win an election.  Having Kavanaugh withdraw is small potatoes.

The problem with Kavanaugh is he's a rich prick that no one likes very much.  Of a very stereotypical nature.  He went to Georgetown Prep in the 80's.  OF COURSE he did that stuff.  But Gorsuch went there, too.  And so did a ton of other rich white preppy conservatives who ended up at ivies and then in government.  All some blog or mag has to do is write a big expose on any rich-ass prep school in the 80's and what it was like.  Then just list off all the alumni from there.  It'll make half the GOP look bad.

Although really, I'm not sure what people care about anymore.

You would think that it would be really bad for Trump to go into a UN meeting and have the world literally laugh at him.  That's hardly the strong America-first, bad-ass image I though his supporters wanted.  But apparently they're just going to report that Trump made the best speech ever and people are not even going to check what really happened.

So much of this stuff is bizarre.  Whether you like Trump or hate him, he's blatantly obvious in everything he does.  He's without doubt the worst President ever by any conventional measure.  Maybe you don't like the conventional measures.  Cool.  Or maybe you don't care that he's the worst President because the GOP is still getting shit done.  Cool.

But here's no 4-d chess, no negotiating genius, no intentional distractions or subterfuge.  So the whole thing of these massive conspiracies being used to prop him up or tear him down don't make sense. But more importantly, they're irrelevant.  You know all you need to know about Trump just watching the news for a week.  If it turned out the Mueller probe was a total political job... I still wouldn't vote for Trump.  And I think if it turns out Trump totally colluded with Russia, most of his base would still vote for Trump.

So we're just doing this weird dance for the benefit of like 10% of undecided people who are so stupid they still don't have an opinion on Trump.  Like seriously, how stupid do you have to be to still be undecided on Trump?

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 113   Go Up