Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 46442 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #1395 on: October 08, 2018, 10:40:33 PM »

What does that tell us, though?

Could it be that people are getting tired of the political division that is rampaging our country? That's probably the optimist in me.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1396 on: October 22, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »

Heard an interesting interview with Ban Sasse this weekend.  Think it was on CNN, but not sure.  He was talking about his book.

Anyway, it explained to me totally why everyday-type Republicans are never going to do anything to stop Trump.  It seems that the gist of his book is basically that both sides are too partisan and angry and dialog has gotten bad.  He called out Hannity as the number one person who is terrible for politics.  He said Maddow wasn't much better which is probably fair. So, good for him so far.

But then his thing was this:  When things get too tribal and people get worked too worked up over politics, his solution is family and church.  So basically, yeah go back to your safe space. Don't think about how your politics might be wrong.  Don't think about how the politicians you support might be causing the problem.  Just take your mind off all the shit that you yourself might be causing and don't stress out.

I think Sasse was being sincere about this.  He doesn't see it as retreating to a safe space, he sees it as rising above.  Like, yeah Trump is kind of a dick but let's not get dragged down with him, keep the eyes on the prize and the prize is white Christian America.  Look at what is being accomplished and try to do more.  Trump's assholery is bad yes, but it's just another obstacle to overcome on the way.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1397 on: October 22, 2018, 08:11:24 PM »

You didn't expect them to think, did you?
-- Mark

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1398 on: October 24, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »

this whole migrant caravan thing is strange.   i know the situation is less than ideal in central america, it once was in flux (a long long time ago).  can it be that bad in la that they're willing to face trump?   

what is the proper response to that migrant caravan?  i can't imagine everyone getting what they wanted.  they shouldn't have waited so long.  can trump be given any more obstacles?  i'm not looking forward to this one
poach eggs, not elephants

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1399 on: October 24, 2018, 02:34:12 PM »

this whole migrant caravan thing is strange.   i know the situation is less than ideal in central america, it once was in flux (a long long time ago).  can it be that bad in la that they're willing to face trump?   

what is the proper response to that migrant caravan?  i can't imagine everyone getting what they wanted.  they shouldn't have waited so long.  can trump be given any more obstacles?  i'm not looking forward to this one
It is for Trump a gift from heaven that keeps on giving every single day, with every single mention, and every single TV report or picture of the caravan, giving Trump political coverage to spew his hateful language and bigotry.

Not to mention that the timing (just as we are approaching the midterms) couldn't be better for the Trump Party. If I didn't know any better, I'd almost say that it is the Trump Party who is organizing the caravan.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1400 on: October 24, 2018, 03:52:01 PM »

i personally don't think any president wants to deal with this nightmare.   why would trump invite 5,000 people to test the us border? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1401 on: October 24, 2018, 03:56:18 PM »

can trump be given any more obstacles?  i'm not looking forward to this one

LOL, Trump wasn't "given" this obstacle, or most others.  Things become obstacles because he doesn't know what the fuck he's doing.  You think they didn't have the caravans when Obama was in office?

Obama basically paid Mexico to help build a wall.  That's how he handled it.  Maybe not the nicest thing to do the immigrants, but it kept them far from the US and we didn't look like bad guys because it was Mexico turning them away at the Southern border.

Mexico doesn't want a flood of immigrants either.  No one really does.  That's why they are in no hurry to pay for a wall that essentially locks all the immigrants in their country... but they are happy to work with the US to build a wall that keeps immigrants out of Mexico, and out of the US.  Simple solution.  Shit's not really hard if you are competent.

See?  Paying Mexico to build a wall in their territory is smart.  Asking Mexico to pay us to build a wall on our territory is the opposite of smart.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1402 on: October 24, 2018, 06:39:07 PM »

Obama deported more illegal immigrants than any president before him.  He also let fewer in.   He didn't talk about it, and without talk there is no news.  The caravan is not new, there have been many, there will be many more, but now it makes people money by reporting on it ... so people will report on it and make money. 

I'm not cynical or anything ....
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1403 on: October 24, 2018, 11:07:49 PM »

Well yeah, Obama didnít talk about it because it was a nasty thing he did.  But he was trying foolishly to get buy in on DACA and some other stuff.  Then the GOP pulled the rug out from under him.

I donít think the press has changed that much.  They reported on what Obama did.  I mean, I knew about it.  You knew about it.  Trump talks about a ton, Obama didnít.  Obama does what normal people do and tried not to talk too much about shitty things he had to do.  Trump revels in being a dick, as do his supporters.  Trump also lies when he talks about it, so the press call him on it.  Not sure what else they can do.

Trump is a loud mouthed, incompetent, dickhead.  Of course that is going to generate more reaction.  It should. 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1404 on: October 26, 2018, 12:30:41 AM »

Hey America,

Just thought I would remind you that Megyn Kelly is still not a very nice or smart person.

Just because she has slightly more sense than Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly, and just because she happens to take on Trump because of selfish reasons impacting her (mainly, treatment of women, and treatment specifically of Megyn Kelly) doesn't make her in any way admirable. objective, or smart.

Set the bar higher, people.  Much higher.

As true now as it ever was.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1405 on: October 26, 2018, 02:16:53 PM »

Has anyone else heard on the news (I heard it on NPR) that health care insurance premiums on the Obamacare open markets are supposed to go down "a couple of percent" in 2019?

I just got a letter from my health insurance provider that my "bare bones, catastrophic coverage" health care policy premium is going up to $850/mth in 2019, from $520 this year (a 63.5% increase), and up from $385 in 2017 (a 123.5% increase in just 2 years).

Sheer, utter insanity is what it is.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1406 on: October 26, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »

How are you paying $805 a month for basic insurance?  It should be like $200-250 or so.

Obamacare plans are going up, but that's because they actually cover stuff.  Thanks to Trump, you can now buy really shitty insurance that covers nothing and defeats the whole purpose of insurance for dirt cheap.  Or you can just like, die.  But think of the money you'll save!

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1407 on: November 05, 2018, 07:33:06 AM »

So what's your call?   My voting place is under construction so I have to go up the road a bit, polls open a 6am.

I say dems take the house, but not overwhelmingly, while repubs take the senate.  I don't see any big surprises even though rags on both sides are making exclamations about late close polls.  I see most of this as voter turnout measures, like the Washington Examiner saying Marsha Blackburn might be in trouble.  Call it cynical but you want your side to think someone is in trouble so they make sure and vote. 

If there is a blue wave it will be at the state government level, which is pretty damn important but the media ignores. 
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1408 on: November 05, 2018, 12:05:43 PM »

I think it's 50/50 in the House, but at the same time I don't think it will be close.

I don't think the close races will be decided on local issues, and I don't think there will be a big enthusiasm gap.  So I think the districts will tend to all tilt one way or the other based on how people feel on Trump.  I mean, I think the Democrats will pick up seats regardless but they will either pick up surprisingly few, or there will be a blue wave.

I don't think the Democrats have a chance of taking a majority in the Senate.  But I think people are overestimating the redness.  Let's say that for once, young people get off their asses and vote.  They probably won't affect their gerrymandered districts where all the college/young districts are already liberal, but they can impact a Senate race.

If the Senate stays the same, or even picks up a seat but all the races were far closer than predicted, I'm not sure that's such a win for the GOP.  Especially since the natural fallout from this will be Trump attempting to claim all the credit for this, and that it was the biggest landslide victory ever.

I agree that the best chance for a blue wave is at the state level.  Which is actually huge, because having fair election laws and ungerrymandered districts will pretty much destroy the GOP just on its own.  Like right now the Democrats need to have an 8% advantage in the popular vote just to try and split the House evenly.  That's a ridiculous handicap.  And of course we can assume that in many places they won't just even it up, they'll stack it in favor of Democrats. 

There's going to be a blue wave regardless because old white people are going to start dying soon.  And they're hastening their demise by electing a bunch of asshats who screw them over.  No one who is conservative is even seriously trying to fight the wave at this point.  They're just trying to scorch-Earth the country so that the blue wave won't matter anymore.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1409 on: November 05, 2018, 12:09:10 PM »

I'm barely knowledgeable in these things, but I see the House and Senate staying red. Much to my chagrin.

Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96   Go Up