Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 110   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 79156 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #1485 on: January 21, 2019, 03:16:58 PM »

Pretty sure they knew.

Although tbf, I don't have a problem with the MAGA caps.  Probably not the wisest choice of attire though.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1486 on: January 22, 2019, 06:48:44 AM »

Pretty sure they knew.

Although tbf, I don't have a problem with the MAGA caps.  Probably not the wisest choice of attire though.

Yea, A lot of people don't, why do I?

I feel like a catholic school function, which this was, should be apolitical.  Yea, a lot of people see the right to life march as political but that doesn't matter to me. 
-- Mark

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #1487 on: January 22, 2019, 08:04:01 AM »

would they have worn rainbow themed gear? no. that's gay pride. i have a huge issue with wearing the maga gear. again, they chose to wear those to intimidate people and provoke reactions. that's what the gear means. there is no reason to wear maga gear to promote your right to life views.

a head's up: a saw a blurb about the school wearing blackface at a basketball game. this is the worst form of dog whistling. there is a picture of a student section all dressed in black with several kids wearing black body paint, all over their bodies. this was a spirit section blackout - everyone wears black. some kids chose to use body paint to cover what their shorts didn't cover. this is not blackface. this is school spirit for a sporting event.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1488 on: January 22, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »

would they have worn rainbow themed gear? no. that's gay pride. i have a huge issue with wearing the maga gear. again, they chose to wear those to intimidate people and provoke reactions. that's what the gear means. there is no reason to wear maga gear to promote your right to life views.

a head's up: a saw a blurb about the school wearing blackface at a basketball game. this is the worst form of dog whistling. there is a picture of a student section all dressed in black with several kids wearing black body paint, all over their bodies. this was a spirit section blackout - everyone wears black. some kids chose to use body paint to cover what their shorts didn't cover. this is not blackface. this is school spirit for a sporting event.

That's fake, as are many of the most inflammatory tweets out there.  There's one with a priest from CovCath and a Trump banner.  He lives in Florida and is in no way associated with Cov Cath.    It's crazy how much BS is out there about this.  The black was most likely blue, the team color. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:54:08 AM by Markalot »
-- Mark

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #1489 on: January 22, 2019, 03:49:15 PM »

The black was most likely blue, the team color.

unless the color in the picture was way off, they were wearing black and some had black body paint. it was a blackout for a bball game. not blackface. any story claiming blackface is either willfully ignorant of student spirit sections, or flat out lying.

heard on the way home that nathan phillips the native elder is offering, wait for it, to travel to covcath to open up a dialogue on race.... and there's his agenda. he's received all kinds press over this, i'd never heard of him before and now he's all over the internet.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1490 on: January 22, 2019, 04:53:25 PM »

So did the HS also have an agenda?  Because I'd never heard of them before.

You're saying that Nathan Phillips organized a Native American demonstration at the Lincoln Memorial not actually to advocate for Native Americans but really just to give him an alibi for hanging around AFTER the demonstration hoping that a bunch of Black Hebrew Israelites would insult a crowd of white kids where he could then get up in their faces? 

I seriously doubt it.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1491 on: January 22, 2019, 09:14:02 PM »

I'm, not going to question his intent, but he is capitalizing on what happened.  I don't think he was connected to the twitter account that posted the edited video (which was taken down as a fake account) but who knows. 

The shit that passes for news these days.  CNN has a pretty good summation, but outlets like Huffington Post are still trying to smear it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/22/us/lincoln-memorial-rally-video-viral-trnd/index.html

I'm not going to link to Huff post but suffice to say sources are some dude on twitter and some other dudes on twitter confirming the first dude.  Must be true. 

-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1492 on: January 22, 2019, 09:56:30 PM »

Doing the tomahawk chop, snickering, and generally mocking a guyís culture is a racist, dickhead thing to do. 

Letís assume (although we really shouldnít) that somehow the people doing those things were just ignorant of the revisit implications of what they were doing.  This then, would be a teachable moment, no?

You:  oh these kids just screwed up, but now theyíll never learn anything because people will just scream at them.  Everyone is just out for blood, no one wants to help the kids.

Native American guy:  I will go and teach them.

You:  Heís just trying to capitalize on it!

This is exactly what he should be doing, is it not?  Meeting with the kids, explaining to them why he was there, what he was doing when he approached them, why understanding other cultures is a good thing. 

Itís like saying the Food Bank is just capitalizing on poor people.  I mean, no thatís their mission is to feed poor people.  This guy is somewhat of an activist, and this is outreach.  Yes, he wants to raise awareness, because awareness is needed.

Is it possible this guy is a secret dickhead?  Sure.  I canít divine his true intention.  I can understand why there would be sipuspicion.  But at the same time heís doing exactly what he should do, if he were legit.

Moreover, this is how shit should be settled, right?  You donít like the internet jumping all over these kids.  I get it.  Itís between those kids and this guy so what better than a face-to-face meeting between the two sides to get in the same page.  And what better way to defuse the situation than those two groups talking it out, and each one coming out saying, ďThere was a misunderstanding.  Itís all good now.Ē  If the kids are legit, they should take him in good faith and agree to meet.

The emerging narrative now is that ďoh, this situation is complicated.Ē  Itís really not.  What those kids did was wrong.  Recognizing that should be the simplest thing in the world.

Itís how people FEEL about what those kids did that is complicated.  And people react to that uncertainty by either making these kids out to be Hitler youth or by trying to completely excuse what they did and blame the other side, or the press, or whatever.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1493 on: January 23, 2019, 09:01:27 AM »

How liberals and progressives FEEL about this kids is not complicated.  They hate them, without knowing them or what their intent was.  Trump will win in 2 years if this shit keeps up, I know I hate it, and I hate the righteous bullshit of the people doing it.  The school was closed today because jackasses from all over the country are screaming STOP THE HATRED and calling and threatening the school.   

lol

We are all doomed.

>  This is exactly what he should be doing, is it not?

You are forgetting that his version of the story did not quite match the facts.  He threw the kids under the bus, now he wants to talk to them. 
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 09:08:14 AM by Markalot »
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1494 on: January 23, 2019, 10:50:59 AM »

What those kids did was racist.  And maybe not even all of the kids, just some of them.  But it's racist, 100%.

They individually did a racist thing to another individual, none of which has anything to do with liberals or conservatives or Trump supporters at large. 

It's that fucking simple.

Keep making excuses for them and blaming liberals, though.  In the meantime, Trump is tweeting out how these kids are heroes.  Five years from now, you'll still be wondering "Gee what happened to conservatives?" and blaming it all on liberals.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1495 on: January 23, 2019, 02:31:10 PM »

I just read an infuriating WaPost article where the reporter called the kid rich.  No income facts, nothing, more imaginary bullshit.  How about someone actually report on something?  White kid, private school, must be rich.  No mention of the reduced price if you give to the church, no mention of multi child discounts, no mention of the parents.

So much ignorance, so little time.

Trump tweeting does not change anything at all. 
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1496 on: January 23, 2019, 03:02:43 PM »

I'm guessing they are rich.  I mean they're not super, 1% rich, but their household income is probably a decent level above median.  How else can you afford an $8k annual tuition per kid?

If you are at 185% of poverty level income, you're eligible for reduced lunch.  Which is somewhere between 40 and 50% of students.  If you can't even afford to pay for lunch, you're going to have a hard time paying $8k to go to school.

Ultimately, does it matter what their income is?  No.  They either did something racist or they didn't.  It's obvious they did.  You never needed more than the first video to draw that conclusion.  But since half the country cannot reach the right conclusion on their own, all these non-important things matter.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 03:10:41 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1497 on: January 23, 2019, 04:26:29 PM »

Not buying this Cohen stuff.

Would even Trump really be stupid enough to threaten bodily harm to Cohen or his family publicly or in a manner where it would easily become public knowledge?  And let's say Cohen really does fear for his family's safety or his own, would he be stupid enough mention it publicly?

You either threaten someone in private and that threat works and the person doesn't testify and comes up with an excuse that doesn't incriminate the guy threatening him and bring retribution.  Or you threaten someone in private and it doesn't work, in which case the guy is happy to testify and to tell the whole world exactly what you threatened to do.

Also, Pelosi still sucks.  Let the dude make his state of the union address.  It's so transparently petty I can't imagine this is going to help the Dems.  Trump hates stuff like that anyway.  He'd much rather just speak at a rally, and I'm sure that's just what he will do and just have it be carried by all the major networks.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 04:32:50 PM by Zafer Kaya »

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1498 on: January 23, 2019, 09:38:01 PM »

So will it all fall down next week as the poor folks not getting paid must look for other work and shut down air travel?  The end of a shutdown is usually a surprise when one side caves.  I'm very pessimistic. 
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1499 on: January 23, 2019, 11:12:59 PM »

Trumpís problems are coming from the right and not the left.  Thatís what makes it hard.

Trying to add DACA and legal immigration into the mix was a big mistake.  It just complicated things even further.  I think his plan was to try and cast the Democrats as not actually caring about DACA.  To me it backfired, because all it really did was reveal how little he himself cares about DACA.

For liberals and most independents, I think they can see this obvious attempt to use DACA as a hostage.  Trump is offering up temporary amnesty which is something that already existed prior to him, and in fact still exists via the courts.  So itís less of a carrot and more of a threat.

The problem is, the far right doesnít want to see DACA used as a bargaining chip, either.  The way the left sees it, Trump will never truly live up to his promises because he sees DACA as his big bargaining chip and will keep finding ways to threaten to revoke it so thereís no point in caving.  The way the far right sees it, Trump will never actually get around to deporting illegal aliens like thy wonít but will instead use it to string Dems along to get concessions in other areas they care less about.

It would have been easier to compromise on a wall than on these other immigration areas.  The wall is just a dollar figure.  $5b wonít build jack shit, so you can settle for less for now as weíre going to have the same fight in six months anyway.  But DACA is more binary.  There is no amount of illegal immigrants the far right is okay with.  That issue is more fundamentally morally rooted than the wall.

Before Trump tried to add all that other stuff, the conservative strategists should have been happy.  People hate the wall, or more specifically a government shut down for the wall but they are talking about immigration and keeping people out now.  So itís kind of a long term win for them.  Thy can lose this battle, keep driving the anti-immigration view, and a year from now the Democrats will be seen as the bad guys because Trump gave them what they wanted the first time and now government is shut down again because they still wonít be reasonable.

The thing is, now no one trusts Trump.  The GOP will continue to publicly blame liberals of course.  But the infighting is going to get ridiculous.  Even if thy all continue to back Trump, they will all be fighting each other to steer him different ways.  Itís hard to see how thy can function with all those power struggles and no leadership.

Also, I continue to believe that while Mueller may or may not have a smoking gun with regards to Trump, he does have dirt on a bunch of Republican power brokers and politicians.  So at some point they will all start throwing each other under the bus.  If Stone or the NRA stop backing Trump, he is screwed, and if he is screwed so is the GOP.

Pages: 1 ... 98 99 [100] 101 102 ... 110   Go Up