Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 114244 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #1755 on: December 19, 2019, 11:43:06 AM »

Best birthday present I could've given to my daughter, who turned the big 3-0 yesterday.

Even if the Senate does not remove Trump (which is likely), if we all exercise our constitutional right and VOTE next Fall, it'll be game over. If you don't vote, then don't complain later on you don't like the result. 
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #1756 on: December 19, 2019, 12:11:03 PM »

That assumes that Trump will play by the rules if he loses the election (which he won't.)  There is zero chance he'll willingly vacate the office.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1757 on: December 19, 2019, 01:01:16 PM »

I could not give a shit whether non-voters complain about the result or not.  If Trump wins, the damage will have already been done.  If Trump loses, that was a vote that could have gone to Trump and didn't. 

The problem is the number of people who will enthusiastically vote for Trump and then no doubt complain bitterly if he loses. I do not recognize their right to complain because they voted.  In fact, it's their very vote that makes me ignore their right to complain.

I would happily purge every Trump supporter from voting forever, if it weren't for the larger principles.  Someday someone could do this to me, or other voters who aren't complete fuckheads.  But if you're asking me whether people who vote for Trump should be given any say whatsoever as to how MY country is run, hell no.  If I could, I'd send every last one of them to Mexico and replace them with an immigrant.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #1758 on: December 19, 2019, 03:48:13 PM »

Unfortunately that makes you, or us, the same as them.  Democracies are messy things, this is nothing new and won't change.  Dumb people get to vote in a free society.  Good politicians can overcome this.  Good crooks can take advantage of it. 
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1759 on: December 19, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »

Nope.  Nothing makes me the same as them.

They're pieces of shit.  I'm not. The whole reason Democracy exists is because it's generally effective at preventing pieces of shit from doing shitty things.  Which why they are busy trying to destroy our system of government.

I'm extremely bigoted against bigotry.  That doesn't make me the same as them.  It's exactly what makes me way better than them.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1760 on: December 21, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »

there's that good ole liberal elitism.  not every trump supporter agrees with him 100% of the time.  i'd wager a vast majority of trump voters dislike the alternative even more 
poach eggs, not elephants

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #1761 on: December 21, 2019, 03:38:01 PM »

This is only anecdotal, but here goes:
I recently had to find a new job due to my old plant being shut down. I recently started working as a contractor at WPAFB. Not my first experience with Government work, but my first at Military. My office is made up of 7 others guys plus me. I am the only true civilian, no military background or experience of any kind. All the others are either retired military working as civilians or active uniformed airmen. They are, to a man, completely and totally Trump backers. They don't believe anything negative they hear and swallow his bullshit without question. During all of the impeachment hearings, they had Faux News on the big screen tv in the office on all.day.long. You should have heard them the other day when it was announced he was giving all Federal emplyess Christmas eve off. That was cause for celebration and reaffirmation that they will vote for him on 2020. Scary shit.
Now, I'm not completely Liberal, but I definitely lean that way more than the other, so I just tell them I'm apolitical because there is no sense in trying to sway them.
I seriously don't know how long I can take this.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 03:40:51 PM by Paco »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1762 on: December 21, 2019, 06:36:22 PM »

there's that good ole liberal elitism.  not every trump supporter agrees with him 100% of the time.  i'd wager a vast majority of trump voters dislike the alternative even more

I believe I'm superior to racists and idiot conspiracy mongers, that's true. 

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1763 on: December 22, 2019, 11:07:01 AM »

there's that projection again
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1764 on: December 22, 2019, 11:36:27 AM »

You support a guy whose chief speechwriter is a white nationalist.  Projecting is what you are doing right now.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #1765 on: January 05, 2020, 02:37:38 PM »

trump murders a foreign national, then threatens war crimes against iran via twitter? holy crap. this is the worst foreign policy move since the lies about WMD in iraq in 2003. there is no way to spin this as a smart decision, even as the GOP is trying. they've managed to make a complex and bad situation worse. america is turning into the bad guys in the ME.

i reported his tweet - i know it won't do anything, but it made me feel a little better. i will make sure to vote democratic in all elections in the near future.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 02:41:46 PM by notoriouspbake »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1766 on: January 06, 2020, 10:08:10 AM »

Half of the GOP thinks it's awesome we killed some brown subhumans.  The other half are neocons who love the US throwing its weight around.  Which is regrettable. 

They're still stuck in the "Liberals don't care about Americans, this guy is a terrorist" mode.  Which misses the point.  Which is that even if you don't have a problem in theory killing a guy like Soleimani (who was unquestionably an asshole) or bombing world cultural sites, do you really want Trump to be the guy doing it?  He's not fit to be running foreign policy regardless of what policy you favor.

It's sad that they're defending this as "Those liberals just hate everything Trump does."  It's true, I do hate everything.  He wants to be the world's dictator, but he's way too lazy and too stupid to pull it off.  That makes for a dangerous combination.  Everything he does is wrong, because everything he does is thoughtless.

We're 100% going to commit war crimes, because Trump is a coward.  He's basically a terrorist.  He's going to take the easiest way out, and the easiest way it out is break the rules and do the shittiest things you can.

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #1767 on: February 01, 2020, 10:59:21 AM »

kinda figured that'd go that way
bongo hard or bongo home

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1768 on: February 02, 2020, 10:51:42 AM »

I always did. Pessimism? Yes. Realism? That too.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1769 on: February 04, 2020, 04:17:03 PM »

Has anyone read "A Very Stable Genius - Donald J. Trump's Testing of America" by WaPo reporters Philip Rucker and Carol Leonnig? I just finished it the other day. Here is my take on it:

It would be funny if it wasn’t so sad and dangerous—but will it change anyone’s mind?

“A Very Stable Genius – Donald J. Trump’s Testing of America” (2020 publication; 480 pages) is a non-fiction book by Pulitzer Prize winning journalists Philip Ricker and Carol Leonnig (of the Washington Post). As the book opens, the authors remind us where we stood in 2016: “Tens of millions of Americans were angry, feeling forgotten by bureaucrats in Washington, derided by liberal elites, and humiliated by a global economy that had sped ahead of their skills and consigned their children to be the first American generation to fare less well than their parents. Trump crowned himself their champion.” (To better understand how these “deplorables” are a lot more than just that and how they ended up voting for Trump, I’d readily suggest you check out the insightful book “Red State Christians” by Angela Denker.)

Couple of comments: “A Very Stable Genius” looks back on Trump’s first 2 ½ years in office (January 2017 through July 2019), and what a wild ride it is. Of course this book isn’t the first that purports to be a definitive insider’s account of Trump’s presidency. Bob Woodward’s “Fear” immediately comes to mind, as does Michael Wolff’s “Fire and Fury” and “Siege” books. But none of those books is as comprehensive as “A Very Stable Genius”, which provides a detailed inside look at those 30 months in office. Much of what we read is already known (although there are some baffling new stories, like the one where Trump is taken to visit the USS Arizona memorial and he wonder what it is—you can’t make up stuff like that!), but again when it is as carefully and painstakingly laid out as the authors do in this book, the sentiment is overwhelming. “Over time, the president developed a tell that he would use to get out of a sticky conversation in which a world leader mentioned a topic that was totally foreign or unrecognizable to him. He would turn to McMaster, Tillerson or another adviser and say ‘What do you think of it?’” Frankly, there are so many absurd situations, that it would be funny if it wasn’t so incredibly sad (for this country) and also dangerous (for democracy).

Will this book change any minds? I very much doubt it. As an erstwhile long-time Republican-leaning myself, I absolutely abhor Trump for the sexist, racist, misogynist, xenophobe, bully, megalomaniac and utterly ignorant and incompetent president he has proven himself to be. Only one thing matters to Trump: me! me! ME! “When a reporter asked Trump if he might attack NATO on Twitter after departing, just as he had maligned Trudeau following the G7 in Quebec, the president responded: ‘No, that’s other people that do that. I don’t. I’m very consistent. I’m a very stable genius”. (How many people do you know that have the self-awareness—or lack thereof—to refer to themselves as a ‘very stable genius’?) This makes the 2020 presidential election therefore so much more relevant and important than the 2016 election. One might even call the election of Trump an “accident”, as people genuinely didn’t know what to expect and simply took a flyer on Trump. That is no longer the case 4 years later, as the country now knows exactly what Trump stands for. Will this country re-elect Trump? I always say that people get the politicians they deserve. This has never been more true than in the 2020 elections. Meanwhile, “A Very Stable Genius” is a must-read!
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures
Pages: 1 ... 116 117 [118] 119   Go Up