Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 36179 times)

Markalot

• Citizen
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #900 on: November 21, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »

How about Zimbabwe?  Media keeps calling it a coup but all military did was get the old coot to resign.  Mission accomplished. 

New guy is not any better, at least historically.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:39:55 PM by Markalot »
-- Mark

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #901 on: November 22, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »

The military didn't seize power, but they did effect a change in leadership through extrajudicial means.

Thus, it's a coup.

Not that I feel sorry for Mugabe. He's a real son of a bitch. A dictator in every sense of the word.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #902 on: November 22, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »

how many old school dictators are left?   
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #903 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »

If they remove the Historic Tax Credits, Richmond is pretty screwed. 

I see plenty of conservatives fired up over preserving statues to confederate war generals erected well after the civil war and the Confederacy, but oddly no one in Congress and apparently not even the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy have much interest in preserving the buildings and historical places that were actually a part of the Confederacy and the civil war. 

You would think a group of people who spend every Saturday waving the stars and bars in front of an art museum to celebrate their (fake) Confederate heritage would be keen to preserve the Capital of the Confederacy.   But you'd be wrong if you thought that.

Of course you really wouldn't be wrong because you wouldn't think that.  You'd think that they are a bunch of racists and/or loonies with no real interest in heritage, only hate.   And you would be right.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #904 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »

But, but, my great-great-grandpappy fought in the war! And he was just a poor ol' dirt farmer that didn't own no slaves. It's about heritage, not hate!

</sarcasm>
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #905 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »

How about Zimbabwe?  Media keeps calling it a coup but all military did was get the old coot to resign.  Mission accomplished. 

New guy is not any better, at least historically.
Doesn't it blow the mind that the guy was 93 years old? 93!!!!! I cannot imagine living that long, let alone to be a dictator in charge of a country,
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #906 on: December 12, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »

Alabama elects (D) Jones over disgraced (R) Moore.

Well done Alabama!

(coming from an erstwhile Republican leaning)

I think we're gonna have a major see-change in the 2018 elections. The Republicans will pay dearly for giving in to the Trump make-over of their party.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #907 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »

I wouldn't count on that.  As Wherle said on Facebook, it's good that they got it right, it's really bad that they only did so just barely.  Besides, this wasn't a rebuke of his, or Trump's, politics, if not for the sexual abuse allegations it may not have happened at all.  You can't rely on that if you want this wave to sweep the country.

If you look at the stats white men and white women still overwhelmingly went for the guy that diddles kids.  That is abominable in every sense of the word.  If not for the black vote showing up in huge numbers, particularly black women, Moore could easily have won.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #908 on: December 19, 2017, 04:46:41 PM »

Dear the 8 random people in North Carolina who sent me postcards asking me to "turn the General Assembly blue,"

Sorry we failed to "turn the General Assembly Blue."  Specifically, I'm sorry you have no understanding of the electoral process in Virginia.  You see, the Republicans control the Senate 21-19, and we did not vote for State Senators this time around.  Therefore, absent an assassination (which I sincerely hope you were not endorsing) there was no way to turn the GA blue.

But the Governor is blue, and also the Lt. Governor, and the AG.  So that's pretty good.  And in the house, the Democrat in Newport News just won the recount by 1 vote.  The initial winner was the Republican, so if the results get certified the Democrats pick up an additional seat in the House, making it an even 50/50 split.

A dead tie in the House.  A slim majority in the Senate, but the Senate is not that radical, plus the Democrat Lt. Gov. has the tie break.  And the veto power in the Governor's office.  Not blue, but at least solidly purple.

Now I have a simple request of you.  Get off my back, shut up, and mind your own bidness.  We voted for Clinton here.  You're the asshole purple state that went for Trump.  Our Governor was a Democrat who was not a total joke.  We did not pass a stupid transgender law that cost our state millions of dollars (we actually probably earned quite a bit of cash from people coming to VA instead of NC, so thanks).  Our politicians were not caught red-handed scheming about ways to rig the election to stop blacks from voting.

Look at the Presidential electoral map.  You're the joke of the Mid-Atlantic.  You and Pennsylvania.  So you got a lot a nerve asking for anything from NY/NJ or the DELMARVA crew.  We got the same

I'm not even going to ask you turn your legislature blue.   That's probably too tall an order.  I don't have the smarts or the guts. I'm only asking if maybe you could please refrain from being a total embarrassment to the rest of us here in the civilized portion of the East Coast.  That would be great.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #909 on: December 19, 2017, 09:25:20 PM »

Yeah, North Carolina politics embarrasses me from afar. Especially because the only things Aussies seem to know about North Carolina are Michael Jordan and that damn bathroom bill. It used to just be Michael Jordan so thatís not an improvement. Plus, the fact that most of the time, Aussies confuse North Carolina with South Carolina. Not great, Bob.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #910 on: December 21, 2017, 11:56:52 AM »

Wait.

Please expound on the differences between North Carolina and South Carolina.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #911 on: December 21, 2017, 01:41:06 PM »

Wait.

Dude.  Just.  Don't.

Are you trying to call my wife in here, because this is how you do it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #912 on: December 21, 2017, 02:08:54 PM »

Wait.

Dude.  Just.  Don't.

Are you trying to call my wife in here, because this is how you do it.

I remember that time when told me how North Carolina is a state, and Georgia is a state, and South Carolina is the taint between them.*

*This did not actually happen.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #913 on: December 21, 2017, 03:48:20 PM »

So, it was a little bit of a fun question which could provide hilarious answers.
But in all innocence, I don't really know much of a difference. Like, I mean that in the most heartfelt and curious way. Please tell me the differences?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #914 on: December 21, 2017, 05:42:12 PM »

Ignoring the Appalachian region that goes all the way up the East Coast and is surprisingly similar in all states, North Carolina and Virginia are South-ern.  But South Carolina is the South.

Think of North Carolina and Virginia as the bufferzone/transition to the South.  We really only call ourselves the South when we are trying to be dicks the Northeast.  But when we do get lumped with the South at events we are totally the asshole elite snobs of the group. 

We're all like "Oooh look at us!  We're educated, and our economies are good, and we vote for liberals... sometimes."  Occasionally Georgia tries to hang out with us a bit like "Hey homies, what's up?  Athens, Savannah, Atlanta, amirite?"  But we're all "Fuck you, Georgia.  You're not fooling us. You're just Florida in disguise!"

Someone from any metropolitan area in the US could go to NoVA, research triangle, even Richmond and not feel out of place.  Or like VA Beach is not that different from Nags Head which is not that different from Ocean City which is not that different from Rehoboth.   I mean, you'll probably notice SOME subtle differences, but there's no way you'll be like mad-instagramming your friends like OHHH CRAP.  You know you're in the South/NC/VA when you see THIS!! *picture of Starbucks*

But South Carolina is definitely, 100% Southern.  And you will know this because if you drive down 95 the first thing you will hit in SC is South of the Border which is definitely, 100% EXACTLY the kind of place where you will pull over and instagram your friends. 

Even Charleston is decidedly the South.  Just more of a hipster, country-club kind of South. 

If you think about the ACC and the SEC pre-1990.. that's pretty much a good cultural dividing line.  Wake, UNC, NC State, UVA... all in the ACC.  Great basketball schools, good schools generally all-around at sports, but not terribly elite at football. Then you had the SEC--insanely great at football, did not care about anything else.  Clemson was in the ACC, but spiritually they were SEC.  So pretty much Clemson clownishly dominated the ACC in football every year.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78   Go Up