Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 29680 times)

Markalot

• Citizen
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #900 on: November 21, 2017, 12:37:49 PM »

How about Zimbabwe?  Media keeps calling it a coup but all military did was get the old coot to resign.  Mission accomplished. 

New guy is not any better, at least historically.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 12:39:55 PM by Markalot »
-- Mark

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #901 on: November 22, 2017, 07:16:41 AM »

The military didn't seize power, but they did effect a change in leadership through extrajudicial means.

Thus, it's a coup.

Not that I feel sorry for Mugabe. He's a real son of a bitch. A dictator in every sense of the word.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #902 on: November 22, 2017, 04:07:51 PM »

how many old school dictators are left?   
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #903 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:48 PM »

If they remove the Historic Tax Credits, Richmond is pretty screwed. 

I see plenty of conservatives fired up over preserving statues to confederate war generals erected well after the civil war and the Confederacy, but oddly no one in Congress and apparently not even the Sons and Daughters of the Confederacy have much interest in preserving the buildings and historical places that were actually a part of the Confederacy and the civil war. 

You would think a group of people who spend every Saturday waving the stars and bars in front of an art museum to celebrate their (fake) Confederate heritage would be keen to preserve the Capital of the Confederacy.   But you'd be wrong if you thought that.

Of course you really wouldn't be wrong because you wouldn't think that.  You'd think that they are a bunch of racists and/or loonies with no real interest in heritage, only hate.   And you would be right.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #904 on: November 28, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »

But, but, my great-great-grandpappy fought in the war! And he was just a poor ol' dirt farmer that didn't own no slaves. It's about heritage, not hate!

</sarcasm>
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #905 on: November 28, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »

How about Zimbabwe?  Media keeps calling it a coup but all military did was get the old coot to resign.  Mission accomplished. 

New guy is not any better, at least historically.
Doesn't it blow the mind that the guy was 93 years old? 93!!!!! I cannot imagine living that long, let alone to be a dictator in charge of a country,
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #906 on: December 12, 2017, 10:52:51 PM »

Alabama elects (D) Jones over disgraced (R) Moore.

Well done Alabama!

(coming from an erstwhile Republican leaning)

I think we're gonna have a major see-change in the 2018 elections. The Republicans will pay dearly for giving in to the Trump make-over of their party.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #907 on: December 13, 2017, 09:26:05 AM »

I wouldn't count on that.  As Wherle said on Facebook, it's good that they got it right, it's really bad that they only did so just barely.  Besides, this wasn't a rebuke of his, or Trump's, politics, if not for the sexual abuse allegations it may not have happened at all.  You can't rely on that if you want this wave to sweep the country.

If you look at the stats white men and white women still overwhelmingly went for the guy that diddles kids.  That is abominable in every sense of the word.  If not for the black vote showing up in huge numbers, particularly black women, Moore could easily have won.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61]   Go Up