Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 23590 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #840 on: February 22, 2017, 10:38:53 PM »

-- I totally disagree that those who have come to come to the US illegally should have a path to US citizenship (and yes, I do realize that this mainly applies to the millions of Mexicans already here)

But it doesn't.  Most of the people that come here illegally come from deeper in South America, not Mexico.

That is just not true. The majority of the 11 million or so illegal/undocumented immigrants in this country are from Mexico. To be exact: 52% (according to what I found out on a quick internet search)

As to those that came from "deeper" Central and South America, if they are fleeing deplorable (drug)war-like conditions from places like Honduras and Guatemala (just to name those), they should be granted refugee status and be allowed to stay.

Just to reiterate my point, I am not advocating massive deportation of the 11 million illegal immigrants (one extreme), but neither do I feel they should somehow magically be granted US citizenship (the other extreme). Why can't we just let things be how they are?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 10:48:07 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #841 on: February 23, 2017, 10:44:07 AM »

That is just not true. The majority of the 11 million or so illegal/undocumented immigrants in this country are from Mexico. To be exact: 52% (according to what I found out on a quick internet search)

As to those that came from "deeper" Central and South America, if they are fleeing deplorable (drug)war-like conditions from places like Honduras and Guatemala (just to name those), they should be granted refugee status and be allowed to stay.

Just to reiterate my point, I am not advocating massive deportation of the 11 million illegal immigrants (one extreme), but neither do I feel they should somehow magically be granted US citizenship (the other extreme). Why can't we just let things be how they are?

We are talking about two different things.  Most of the people that enter illegally do not come from Mexico.  You're saying Mexicans make up the majority who are here illegally.  There's a difference: people that knowingly come here illegally, and people that came legally and over stayed.  Most of the Mexicans here illegally fall into the latter category.

There's a place for some portion of each group to have a path to citizenship, in my mind.  The folks that come in illegally as refugess, we're failing them, and by all means give them a path.  People that come, and contribute, but over stay, again, I say give them a path.  People that come illegally just to bypass the system, or because they're criminals, round those fuckers up.  People that overstay and don't contribute to society, boot them too.

This is malum prohibitum, immigrating here from Mexico is completely within the spirit of our culture and heritage, but somehow or other, our systems have evolved to a point that makes immigration more restrictive than it needs to be, arbitrarily.  They're here.  Their lives are here.  They live, work, and exist as Americans.  It does not fix anything to ignore them, and it benefits everyone to work with them.

I'm with ZK.  Ignoring them makes no sense at all, it solves nothing. 
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #842 on: March 02, 2017, 08:58:15 AM »

So.... AG Jeff Sessions met with the Russian Ambassador, twice, last year, but "forgot" about that when asked directly on point during his confirmation hearings in January? Meaning we have a certified liar at the head of the Justice Department. Just what we need to "make America great again". Lie, deny, "forget" and lie some more.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #843 on: March 02, 2017, 09:48:13 AM »

Our president can be proven a liar on nearly a daily basis.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]   Go Up