Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 61   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 29541 times)

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #855 on: May 15, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »

i don't disagree that jeff sessions is bad news, but perhaps i'm just getting different information

In my experience you really just don't seem to process information the same as everyone else.  I'm sure you're okay with that, the same as we're okay with disagreeing with you most of the time.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #856 on: May 15, 2017, 03:25:03 PM »

here butter,  was an article posted on another message board i frequent http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-ondcp-war-on-drugs-director-2017-5

Kwyjibo, you ain't gotta worry about me none brother.  i'm a valuable commodity

poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
  • 42!
« Reply #857 on: May 15, 2017, 03:30:16 PM »

It sounds like that is definitely at odds with Sessions stated goal of increasing penalties on drug offenders.

I guess that's not really a surprise, but it is really stupid.

Dizzy

• Summer Resident
« Reply #858 on: May 16, 2017, 01:10:31 AM »

The way I see this move is to defund the Drug Czar to get him out of the way. They already have minimum sentencing laws on the books and Sessions is going to use them. He doesn't need some Drug Czar telling him those laws don't work. 

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #859 on: May 19, 2017, 05:23:24 PM »

A couple of tidbits that might be connected.

Kelly Ann Conway abruptly cancelled an appearance on the Tucker Carlson show (FOX).

WP now reporting that a close aid to Trump is under investigation for helping coordinate stolen email leaks.

Just saying ......
-- Mark

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #860 on: May 20, 2017, 01:08:50 AM »

The Trump administration is a circus, the which we have never seen before.

I honestly don't see how Trump will survive his full 4 year term.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #861 on: May 22, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »

A couple of tidbits that might be connected.

Kelly Ann Conway abruptly cancelled an appearance on the Tucker Carlson show (FOX).

WP now reporting that a close aid to Trump is under investigation for helping coordinate stolen email leaks.

Just saying ......

Doubtful, Conway is nothing more than a mouthpiece.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #862 on: May 23, 2017, 01:14:25 PM »

Repeating what John Oliver said on Sunday night - Trump's strongest quality is surviving. There are dozens of events that have happened over the last year where everyone said, "this has to be the end for him." And yet he continues. And will continue.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #863 on: May 23, 2017, 03:14:00 PM »

Repeating what John Oliver said on Sunday night - Trump's strongest quality is surviving. There are dozens of events that have happened over the last year where everyone said, "this has to be the end for him." And yet he continues. And will continue.

Maybe. Maybe not. Being POTUS isn't the same as being a self-employed real estate shark/speculator.  You can't just not study up on anything, demand everything be your way and not run afoul of laws.  Yes, his party's majorities in both houses of Congress may protect him indefinitely.  I'm hoping they don't.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #864 on: May 24, 2017, 10:11:42 AM »

You can't just not study up on anything, demand everything be your way and not run afoul of laws.

Really?  He seems to be doing pretty well so far.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #865 on: June 21, 2017, 07:55:17 AM »

I see the analysis this morning for why a democrat lost the GA race is covering just about everything except the fact that he didn't live in the district. This was something I didn't know until yesterday and as soon as I heard it I figured he'd lose since this race was so close anyway.  When will the democrats stop destroying our country by letting the republicans win?  :D
-- Mark

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #866 on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »

Meh.  He actually grew up that district whereas Handel is transplant, although granted she's been there 25 years.  He only lives 5 miles away while his fiance goes to Emory.  So they both qualify as local in my book.

No one really gives a shit about stuff like that, unless they already want to vote against someone and now they have an easy excuse rather than actually learning about issues.

That said, Democrats do need to understand that Republican issues are still very popular.  Obama was was more popular than the Democratic platform.  Trump is less popular than the GOP platform.  So until the Democrats can find some issues and/or sell the public on their actual policies they're going to have problems.  Also, the voting issues with ridiculously gerrymandered districts, voter suppression, and the electoral college work against them.  Probably not much they can do about changing that, but they can adjust strategy accordingly.  Concentrate more on Senate than House.  They need to stop fixating on Trump.

The Republicans have some issues as well.  Trump is still crazy enough that even with relatively short coat-tails he could blow up badly enough to cost them.  And a 5 point win in that district is not great news.  There are some demographic trends that are working against them in the long term.

In the end, I don't think it means all that much.  Nothing has really changed.  The issues facing both parties are still there.  Handel probably should have won by a bit more, but she still won fairly comfortably.  And we're still a ways out from the next elections plus every district and state is different and that was just one vote, and it was a special election anyway.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #867 on: June 21, 2017, 10:42:38 AM »

a 5 point win in that district is not great news. 
Considering that Trump won that district last November by just 1.5 points, one could even concoct an argument that this result "enhances" Trump.

Then again, for a 30 yr. old political neophyte running in a traditionally solid Republican district while not even living in that district, one could say this is a very impressive result.

In the end I agree with ZK, this one-off probably doesn't mean all that much, I still envision the Republicans suffering massive losses, at least in the House, in the mid-terms next year (losing their House majority).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #868 on: June 21, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »

Just a quick thought regarding the Otto Warmbier matter. It is awful and disgraceful how North Korea treated this guy, and the North Korean authorities/regime should be held accountable for his death. (Not sure how to do that--but that's a different story.)

The big surprise for me in all of this is that I was unaware that it has been, and for now continues to be, legal under US law for US citizens to travel to North Korea. I thought North Korea was strictly off-limits.

The other surprise is that some Americans actually do take the risk to travel to North Korea, likely the most hostile country in the world towards the US (yes, I think more so than say Iran). Why in the world would anyone want to take that chance?

Otto Warmbier's funeral is tomorrow morning at Wyoming HS (in suburban Cincy, for the non-Cincy boarders).

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #869 on: June 22, 2017, 06:36:23 AM »

I guess I reluctantly agree with the GA election,  Turnout was incredible on both sides.

For North Korea, we need to tell China we will implode the country unless they do something.  It's a crime we haven't assassinated that fat punk yet. 
-- Mark
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 61   Go Up