Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 97   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 51093 times)

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #930 on: December 27, 2017, 06:24:04 PM »

as i don't see much compromise between the parties, or any type of meaningful working together for the betterment of their constituents (tax cut vote), i'm about to the point of voting a straight party ticket against whoever is the majority for whatever legislative body. not that it matters in michigan. surprisingly, outside of metro detroit, michigan the state votes (read gerrymandered) republican. unless i'm mistaken, republicans have comfortable margins in both houses of congress in the state and a GOP governor as well.

I donít know.  Itís pretty hard right now.

There is no way in hell I will ever vote for Trump if he lasts that long.  And given the state of the GOP, I find it extremely unlikely I would ever vote for whoever else wins the nom.  OTOH, I find it hard to imagine myself pulling the lever for Sanders, Warren, or Gillenbrand.

I may vote third party or sit it out, but that has problems, too.  Itís never a good idea to ragequit.  Especially when it is not actually possible to quit the US, at least not via vote.

If the voters wanted politicians to be bipartisan, they would be.  Itís kind of a trap to feel like it is  me against the system when it is really just me against the vast majority of voters.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #931 on: December 29, 2017, 03:21:33 PM »

If the voters wanted politicians to be bipartisan, they would be.  Itís kind of a trap to feel like it is  me against the system when it is really just me against the vast majority of voters.
Exactly. People get the politicians they deserve.

It's worth reminding that turnout for the 2016 presidential elections was a "massive" 55%. Meaning almost HALF the entire country's voters couldn't be bothered, even with all of the massively available "early voting". Maybe, just maybe, after 4 years of Trump, some of those 45% non-voters CAN be bothered enough to vote.

Also keeps me wondering how many of those 45% non-voters have bitched and complained about the state of the country.If any of them do, shame on them. If you don't vote, don't bitch.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #932 on: December 30, 2017, 11:38:53 PM »

I would be interested to see what voter turnout numbers are like without the massive coordinated suppression of poor and minority voters that happens in red states now.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #933 on: December 31, 2017, 08:43:05 PM »

They would still be massively shitty, wouldnít they?  I mean maybe best case scenario you get another 5%.  That is still awful.

It always kind of bugs me when people applaud participation.  Like the recent articles where they are all like ďWe all need to thank African-American women for voting out Moore.Ē  Then do I also get to blame those same women for not showing up to vote in the Presidential election?

We also applaud independent voters, who to me are largely ill-informed and temperamental.  How do you vote for Obama, then turn around and vote for Trump?  Or you are okay with Sanders or Trump?  They could not be more different.

The Republican attempt to strip the vote from the opposition should be a MUCH bigger deal than it is.  You are attacking the basic tenets of a fee society.  But people donít care.  Massive amounts of people voted for Obama because he was black.  I like Obamacare, but I still have difficulty with that. 

I donít think people have to vote.  If you have thought it over carefully and considered everything and neither candidate does it for you, then your non-vote still registers a preference.  Same with third party votes, or really any vote.

The American public are largely fucking idiots.  It diesnít Matter whether they vote or who they vote for.  They will still end up with lousy government because they are so easily played for suckers.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #934 on: December 31, 2017, 09:52:13 PM »

The Republican attempt to strip the vote from the opposition should be a MUCH bigger deal than it is.  You are attacking the basic tenets of a fee society.  But people donít care.  Massive amounts of people voted for Obama because he was black.  I like Obamacare, but I still have difficulty with that. 
To be fair, a lot of people voted against Obama because he was black as well. I would guess probably around the same amount that voted for him solely because he was black. The thing is, Obama was a lot more than just black. Ben Carson showed that just being black won't get you votes. He was a charismatic guy running on a solid platform, that is what got him elected. The fact that he was black was just icing on the cake.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #935 on: January 11, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »

It wasn't that long ago that the Libertarian ticket was Bob Barr and Wayne Allyn Root.  An establishment Republican and a crazy Trump-like, conspiracy-touting, fairly sketchy character.

Yes, but if you call his 1-900 number you can get his 5-Star, Lock of the Year on the Patriots/Titans game, ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #936 on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:59 PM »

The GOP line now is "The Democrats are siding with illegal immigrants over American citizens." 

It's a strange tack to take.  First off, I don't think favoring amnesty for DACA recipients means favoring illegal immigrants over US citizens. If the GOP cared so much about US citizens, then they wouldn't have let CHP funding run out in the first place.  I favor all sorts of social programs that I feel would help Americans.

But I mean... yeah let's be blunt.  If you are forcing me to choose then I 100% favor DACA recipients over Trump's base.  If I could choose, of course I would throw out say 4 million asshole racists who subsist on government money and think are owed a living just because they were born here, and replace them with people who may or may not be racist and may or may not work hard but can't be any worse, and who I suspect at least feel less of a sense of entitlement.

I mean, I'm not advocating deporting US citizens or taking away their rights or anything.  But the deal is, I put up with these assholes not because I want to, but because I have to.  And the bonus shit cherry on top is that they're not even willing to do the same for me.  Those people get to stay here, because them's the rules and I still like our constitution and our Democracy. 

But I feel bad about anything, it's not favoring illegal immigrants over US citizens.  It's that I must regretfully prioritize certain US citizens over illegal immigrants even though I dislike them way more.

This is probably at once both the most conservative and liberal political view I have.

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #937 on: January 21, 2018, 11:09:51 AM »

I love how the Republicans control both houses of Congress, and have a president who will sign anything you put in front of him (I mean, you could put a Chinese takeout menu on the Resolute Desk, tell him it's an executive order, and he'd get out that Sharpie and scrawl his "signature" on it)...the GOP has all that...and they blame the Democrats for the shutdown. Because of course they do.

McConnell and Ryan have the votes. And yet, they can't get their shit together. Morons.
"I believe that in the long view of history, the British Empire will be remembered only for two things. The game of football, and the expression 'fuck off.'" - Sir Richard Turnbull

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #938 on: January 21, 2018, 09:22:42 PM »

Theyíre not trying to get their shit together.  They just want to run out the clock on DACA.

Th far right is beyond rules, or logic, or truth.  Theyíre just sort of this big hateball.  As long as you are insulting everyone else and keeping immigrants out they donít care about anything else.

The moderate right knows they are screwed either way.  If they vote for DACA amnesty they lose the far right.  If they vote against, they lose the moderates and they still wonít be far right enough fir the Trump crowd.  So theyíre just trying to take out DACA without having to vote on it, blame the left, and hope the right wonít care they werenít racist enough so long as they get their win.

The only hope now is the student Bernie Bros who went Trump or did not vote.  Every other group that can swing are fucking idiots.  The choices could not be clearer.  If you still have not made up your mind, then I donít know what can convince you. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #939 on: January 21, 2018, 10:56:22 PM »

Did anyone read this week's issue of TIME Magazine on "Year One"? Absolutely fascinating. The good news is we only have 3 years to go (hopefully)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #940 on: January 22, 2018, 09:21:08 AM »

I dunno.  I kind of want Trump in a way, because he's the most blatantly corrupt and incompetent leader imaginable.  Things might be even worse without him.  If people can't see or don't care how messed up this is, then there is no hope. 

I think the Dems just have to give up on DACA.  You can get a promise from the Senate they will talk about it, and maybe they even will.  But it will never pass the House. 

The only thing that matters anymore is the mid-terms.  If the Democrats do not re-take the House, we're probably finished as a country.  We have enough reserves to last 10-15 years and luckily a lot of other countries are fucking up too.  But yeah, we won't recover.  It'll just be a slow downhill slide into irrelevance.

It's amazing how we are handing the world to China on a plate.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 11:20:37 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Jonathan

• Future Boy
  • City Elder
« Reply #941 on: January 22, 2018, 11:57:18 AM »

It's funny how Xi Jinping doesn't go around calling African countries shitholes, and instead builds them critical infrastructure and then makes sure everyone over there knows exactly who it was that built it for them.

But hey, America First, amiright?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #942 on: January 22, 2018, 12:52:59 PM »

China is going all out to transition from a labor economy to a service economy.  They want their economy to be like ours, but it will take a ton of work.  And two years ago, they would have said it was impossible.... until we came up with our counter-plan to take our service economy and transition it to a labor economy.

Our immigration/trade policy is to bring sweat shops and shitty labor factories back into the US by eliminating labor and environmental laws.  And to limit immigration to make sure that ONLY Americans get to do the jobs no one wants.  The only immigrants we're going to let in are really smart and rich ones... so they can run the factories.

Chinese news is hysterical right now.  Everyone's like "Wait... the US wants to come in and open factories using their cheap labor?  They want to work for us?  So badly, they'll actually PAY us to turn them into slaves?"

I would laugh at how stupid it all is and let these idiots go down... except the problem with racist idiots is their problems still become my problems. 

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #943 on: January 22, 2018, 02:14:40 PM »

I dunno.  I kind of want Trump in a way, because he's the most blatantly corrupt and incompetent leader imaginable. 

What scares me is that the last time we had the most blatantly corrupt leader imaginable, (one Mr. Richard M. Nixon) he won reelection by the largest margin ever.

Hope that doesn't happen again.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #944 on: January 22, 2018, 02:41:37 PM »

who knows.  could be a sign the country's heading in the right direction.  in spite of everything
poach eggs, not elephants
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 97   Go Up