Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 75   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 34592 times)

daytime drinking

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #990 on: February 20, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »

is russia/usa today the britain/france of yore?  we seem to have quite a robust history with the ruskies in the past half century.  it's like the crosstown shootout but with more espionage and less ugly girls (i imagine)
poach eggs, not elephants

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #991 on: February 21, 2018, 10:23:27 AM »

Last night twitter removed a bunch of Russian bot accounts.

There are a ton of conservative users who are upset, because they've lost hundreds, even thousands, of followers, and they feel their right to free speech is being infringed upon.

I don't know what to do with this information.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #992 on: February 21, 2018, 04:36:33 PM »

It's pretty crazy.

You have the indictments and all the evidence against the Russian "Internet Research Agency."  Plus the non-government people from Greece or wherever who just used fake news tweets to make money.  They've interviewed them and they're all like "Well, we tried fake news for both sides but no one would really bite if it was pro-left.  But if we sent out an pro-right thing, it immediately spread like wild-fire.

They don't really care if the actual facts are true.  What's "true" in it is that they hate everything that is liberal.  So as long as the tweet/fake news is like "liberals suck" then to them, it's true.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #993 on: February 22, 2018, 08:15:06 AM »

Agreed.

It was Macedonia, which wants to be part of Greece, or is part of Greece, or something, so close enough.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #994 on: February 25, 2018, 11:03:40 PM »

We have entered a new era where "fake" news, however fabricated, seems the new normal. Thank goodness for the New York Times and the Washington Post to try and keep a tag and expose the "fake" news, wherever it's coming from (Trump, the Russians)
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #995 on: February 26, 2018, 01:32:30 PM »

Actually getting some kind of gun legislation under Trump would be quite ironic.

I'll believe it when it happens. 
-- Mark

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #996 on: February 26, 2018, 04:08:09 PM »

I'm beginning to wonder if Trump is some brilliant liberal prank designed to expose every drop of hypocrisy the Right has been spouting for 25 years. Pretty much anything he says or does have been something the Republicans have been morally outraged about at one time or another.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #997 on: February 26, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »

I'm beginning to wonder if Trump is some brilliant liberal prank designed to expose every drop of hypocrisy the Right has been spouting for 25 years. Pretty much anything he says or does have been something the Republicans have been morally outraged about at one time or another.
Well, that makes perfect sense as Trump is of course not a Republican, at least not in the way that I've always understood Republicans to be. Which is of course the very same reason that if Republicans lose the House and/or the Senate in the midterms in November, it won't bother him much. He'll just keep doing his own thing, it being a "Trump" presidency, not a "Republican" presidency
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #998 on: March 13, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »

my boy tilly gone.  suppose his work was done

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #999 on: March 13, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »

What work was that, exactly?

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #1000 on: March 13, 2018, 04:51:17 PM »

In my mind, Tillerson was the most successful high-profile Trump employee because I rarely heard about him and whatever nonsense I was typically hearing about from the Trump administration.

I'm not saying I liked him, but I noticed that most of the noise was from parts elsewhere, which says....something.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1001 on: March 13, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »

I didnít mind Mnuchin, Tillerson, and Mattis because they were kinda dicks.  They are fairly establishment and political and they play the game. 

Politics, and especially international politics is just kind of dirty.  Which means you need to lie sometimes, and kiss ass sometimes, and make false threats now and again.  Itís all a little dance and these guys know the steps. 

I was shocked that Trump supporters liked them, though.  Because honestly, any one of the three could have been appointed by Clinton and not been too out of place.  Tillerson would not be appointed to Sec. of State though.  They are political creatures who definitely do not fall into the ďblow up the systemĒ mode. 

Except the thing is, Trump didnít listen.  Once he contradicted Tillerson publicly on N.Korea, Tillerson was effectively useless because what is the point of talking to a guy with no authority.  In the meantime, Tillerson (likely at Trumpís urging) gutted the State Department and now we are fucked.  There are no ambassadors or diplomats or expert analysts left.  To the extent any crappy info. does get generated, it goes to Kushner.  So Tillerson really accomplished nothing.

People donít get that an inefficient government with layers of bureaucracy is on some levels a good thing.  We gather loads of data just in case.  We make it hard for people to get things done because it limits the damage one person who thinks they have all the answers can do.

Trumpís foreign policy is hilariously awful.  Both security and economics.  His domestic economic policy is also terrible.

If you cut taxes, the economy tends to grow.  When it grows, it needs more materials and labor.  Trumpís tariffs and immigration caps cut off that supply.  That will cause inflation as/or companies to save rather than invest.  Which means the economy doesnít grow,  which means it doesnít generate the revenue necessary to cover the tax cut.

His foreign policy is the same.  It mostly consists of starting shit, and then pressuring other countries to take care of our mess.  China, Japan, South Korea have way more at stake with North Korea than we do.  If thereís a conflict they will have to deal with attacks if they ally themselves with us and refugees streaming into their countries.  In the meantime, Trump is tariffing the shit out of them, so what is their incentive to help us?

At some point, people will just defy you because youíve given them no other choice.  Trump is like ďIím going to nuke up massively, Iím pulling out of every trade agreement, Iím going to apply tariffs, I refuse to protect NATO unless they pay us....Ē. Why would N. Korea ever denuke when they are under a greater threat from the Us than ever?  Why would Mexico ever be inclined to help us if we have withdrawn from NAFTA, taken all our factories back, called them rapists, etc.

Itís like, ďDo your worst.  You canít screw us over any more than you are doing.  If we donít pay for the wall, what happens that you havenít already done?Ē

If you choose one policy to do X, then it hurts you in some other way to do Y.   If you make friends with one country, you make enemies of another.  The strategy is to pick the right battles.  But Trumoís whole thing is he believes he can win every single fight.  And when faced with a potential loss, he will always choose to double down instead of minimize damage.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 12:19:35 AM by Zafer Kaya »

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1002 on: March 13, 2018, 11:14:34 PM »

ZK, you summarized it quite well.

Reason why I will likely vote Democrat across the board in the midterms, even though I am a traditionally Republican-leaning voter in the past, but you knew all that already from my previous posts.

I don't know how to stop this madness, other that my vote in November.

And hopefully we will vote Trump out of office in 2020.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1003 on: March 14, 2018, 08:10:59 AM »

What work was that, exactly?

isn't that what you're supposed to say when trump fires someone? 

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #1004 on: March 14, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »

And hopefully we will vote Trump out of office in 2020.

Assuming that he isn't booted out of office by then and if he loses the election (popular vote & electoral college this time), he won't go quietly.  The peaceful transfer of power is central to our governance and I have my doubts that he'll honor that.  Depending on who in the government still supports him, things could get very ugly.  Of all the things I worry about politically, that's near the top of the list.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 75   Go Up