Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88   Go Down

Author Topic: Random Political Musings  (Read 39172 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Random Political Musings
« Reply #1110 on: June 07, 2018, 11:58:22 PM »

Maybe I'm being ignorant or stupid (or both), but I have no idea what the tax cut passed by the Reps is doing for me (a fairly high income earner). As a  partner in a law firm, I file and pay quarterly "anticipated" income tax payments, but I have no idea whether they should be lower now. I asked my guy who has done my tax filings for years, and he didn't know either. I guess I'll find out when he does my tax returns next year.

But I do know this: OH gov. Kasich passed a lower tax bill some 3-4 years ago, and I haven't paid any OH income taxes since then, not a single dollar. Good for me obviously.

I am not fine with this. The way the "system" is working is that the baby boomers (which I am one, born in 1960) have found a way to essentially borrow money against the future for our easy life style which at some point down the road will have to be paid back (but not by me). I feel bad for my grown-up kids (31 and 28) and their kids (if they have kids). It's the greatest money heist in history. But what can I do about it?

I am very disappointed with the Reps in so many ways. And of course I dislike Trump in even more ways. As a fiscally conservative/fairly liberal on social issues, what is there left for me to do in the upcoming elections?

Thoughts welcome.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1111 on: June 08, 2018, 10:35:32 AM »

But what can I do about it?

Stop voting for Kasich.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1112 on: June 08, 2018, 01:17:39 PM »

tnx for the post zafer.  economics is my most glaring weak spot.  which most mean it's pretty bad.  it certainly sounds interesting but i have a hard time giving a fuck.  pretty rad to be an american

have you ever thought, that america didn't need the rest of the world? 
poach eggs, not elephants

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1113 on: June 08, 2018, 04:02:37 PM »

Nope.  I think we need the rest of the world more than any other country on the planet, and it's not even remotely close.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1114 on: June 09, 2018, 02:39:22 PM »

because of china? 

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1115 on: June 10, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »

Because we’re greedy bastards, and we all live like kings.

We are the largest importer of goods in the world, by a lot.  We import more than the entire EU.  I think we use up 25% of the world’s resources.  We have a huge military advantage in that we have nukes.  And the majority of other countries actually go along with this by not arming themselves.

Because we are in many ways the big #1 of the world, we also have the most to lose.  I don’t think we can beat China a trade war because we could never live like they do without falling apart.  I do not think we can even live like much of Europe because they have an physical and cultural infrastructure better equipped for isolationism.  They were around pre-automobile and fighting your neighbors or figuring out a way to get along so they have public transportation and local markets and thing like that.  The US would shit itself if the average household were limited to one car.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 10:30:47 AM by Zafer Kaya »

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1116 on: June 12, 2018, 01:56:39 PM »

That summit went about as I expected.  A whole lotta nothing.

I'm not blaming Trump.  I don't think N. Korea is going to change, or if they do it will be because of China and not us.  Basically, I feel like Trump meeting with Kim and getting nothing done is not particularly different than Obama NOT meeting with Kim and getting nothing done.

luisterpaul

• City Elder
« Reply #1117 on: June 12, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »

That summit went about as I expected.  A whole lotta nothing.

I'm not blaming Trump.  I don't think N. Korea is going to change, or if they do it will be because of China and not us.  Basically, I feel like Trump meeting with Kim and getting nothing done is not particularly different than Obama NOT meeting with Kim and getting nothing done.
Except maybe for the whole validating a brutal dictatorship thing?

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1118 on: June 12, 2018, 04:55:35 PM »

It was going to be validated either way.

If we don't meet, Kim tells his followers that US is bent on destroying North Korea and they should all follow him.  If we do meet, Kim tells his followers that they are so powerful that the US is trying to make peace.

If Trump refuses to meet Kim, then he plays it off like he's showing everyone who is boss and his followers eat it up.  If he meets with Kim he's the great negotiator.

The outcome is that we get an agreement with NK about denuclearization that is equivalent to what we had with Iran but with even less specifics and that both leaders have no intent on following.  But the GOP will act like this is some huge victory whereas the Iran deal was sheer US capitulation.  And the Dems will maintain the opposite.

We already know that Trump's "friendship" and word means zip.  He could call Kim the greatest guy in the world one day and then threaten to nuke him the next. 

If you're asking me if I think Trump should be hanging out and praising guys like Kim or Duterte my answer is obviously "no."  But it's not like we were doing anything to stop them beforehand either. 

It bothers me when Trump messes with rational countries that are friendly to the US like Canada.  But Kim is a crazy man anyway.  Trump has no ability to make him any more or less sane or trustworthy, nor does he have any desire to.  So it'll just be status quo except people think that Trump did something, which is all that Trump cares about.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #1119 on: June 12, 2018, 10:36:02 PM »

It bothers me when Trump messes with rational countries that are friendly to the US like Canada.  But Kim is a crazy man anyway.  Trump has no ability to make him any more or less sane or trustworthy, nor does he have any desire to.  So it'll just be status quo except people think that Trump did something, which is all that Trump cares about.
Agreed. This summit did nothing either way.

Much more bothersome to me is the on-going war of words, and now tariffs, with our closest allies. Nothing good can come from that. Frankly, I don't see how Trump supporters can see anything good coming from that, but what do I know (I'm certainly not one of them).

I am SO ready to vote in November.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #1120 on: June 12, 2018, 11:37:57 PM »

canada has to feel embarrassed by their leader though, don't they?  all canada has to do is appeal to a small pocket of like minded sizeable cities.  this is the thoroughly vetted result.  which of course, cannot be otherwise

is this the end of the talks with north korea?   

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1121 on: June 13, 2018, 01:24:28 AM »

Agreed. This summit did nothing either way.

Much more bothersome to me is the on-going war of words, and now tariffs, with our closest allies. Nothing good can come from that. Frankly, I don't see how Trump supporters can see anything good coming from that, but what do I know (I'm certainly not one of them).

I am SO ready to vote in November.

Culture war, dude.  They care more about preserving what they can of what they think is America than they do about economics.  You see it again and again every time some liberal rag tries to “understand small town America.”  They interview these guys and they are like “Yeah, if he pulls out of NAFTA and plus these trade tariffs we are pretty much screwed.  I hope realizes that.”  “Do you still support him?”  “Yeah, because he stands by American values.” 

They would rather be poor and messed up than live in modern day, liberal values America.  How many of them are like, “yeah but the stock market is up.”  You don’t have stocks, fool.  The average American has $like $5k in a 491(k) plan.

Now, will they change their tune when the shit really hits the fan... yeah probably.  But that’s where those tax cuts come in.  They will keep the economy artificially inflated until 2020.

That’s the thing.  For all the noise Trump generates and crazy crap he does, he’s done very little that is “outside.”  There is no wall, there has been no repeal and replace, Clinton is not getting locked up, the government is more swampy than ever... but the GOP gameplay gets done.  That’s why the GOP just wrings their hands about why does Trump have to be such a clown, but doesn’t do anything.  They are getting their policy goals done, they just wish Trump would give them some credit once in awhile and help them get re-elected.

Trump and the GOP in Congress make a strong tag team, despite their disdain for each other.  And I think that some conservatives are seeing this now, which is why they are back in the fold.

No one is being bamboozled by Trump.  He is delivering what they want. They probably shouldn’t actually want that but...what can you do?  They won’t listen to anyone outside their circle.

Trump forced a desperate population to pick a side and make a last stand and they made it.  They will go down with the ship.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #1122 on: June 13, 2018, 01:42:27 AM »

canada has to feel embarrassed by their leader though, don't they?  all canada has to do is appeal to a small pocket of like minded sizeable cities.  this is the thoroughly vetted result.  which of course, cannot be otherwise

is this the end of the talks with north korea?

Trudeau dudn’t do anything wrong.  Canada relies on the US more than anyone else, but they are screwed without the EU as well.  I he has to take a stand he would go with the US...if there were anything in it for him.  But there isn’t.  Trump is not ever going to lift a finger to help anyone but himself and his supporters like it that way.  Seeing as how you cannot win, your only option is to hang with your other allies.

I mean, Trump is slapping tariffs on you when the US runs a trade surplus.  Hat are you going to do, say nothing?  He gave the most Canadian response possible which was basically just like “Hey, that’s bit uncool, eh?”  Trump was going to turn someone at that meeting into his whipping boy, and Trudeau took one for the team.  He’ll get some help back for that.

Canada has their own thing going with a conservative rural populace and the more affluent, libeRal Toronto-types.  Plus the Québécois.  I don’t think those dynamics change.

It’s hard for me to see Trump ever being a big factor in foreign elections.  Those who are attracted to his populist theme will apply it to their own country.  So while they may respect some of Trump’s broader views, why would they ever be cool with “America First?”  They’re going to be “Canada first,” “UK first,” etc.  Right wing populists in France care as much about the US as Trump supporters care about France.

It’s why Trump gets along with dictators so well.  No one has to worry about their country, just themselves.  There are easy paths to mutually beneficial solutions between two people.  Between two countries are multiple countries is much harder.  Which is why Trump hates multinational talks.  Too many angles.

I am sure at some point Trudeau will finagle a one on one conversation with Trump, and he will find Trump much more amenable.  Make Trump look good, he is happy to give you what you want.  It just won’t last because sooner or later he will have to pick a fight with someone and it will be you.

I think Russia and China realize this and are playing it to their advantage.   Poor Canada doesn’t have the leverage so they just have to be politely Canadian and try to ride it out.

notoriouspbake

• Citizen
« Reply #1123 on: June 13, 2018, 04:30:48 PM »

getting caught up on my dvr'd frontlines. watched one called bitter rivals: saudi arabia and iran. 4 hours over two episodes - watched it all last night: riveting. the guy (charles martin, maybe??) did a great job of just presenting the history and showing interviews with those from all sides. a very well presented refresher for how bad the west has screwed up the middle east (or at least made things worse) since before the 50's. it's like with any decision to be made, the west almost always picked the worse choice as history shows. a fundamental misunderstanding of the ideological difference between sunni and shia doesn't help matters. the saudi's (sunni) and iran (shia) are constantly supporting militia against each other and seem to say the other side is not backing down.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #1124 on: June 28, 2018, 11:44:41 AM »

Apparently there is a short list circulating of President Poopypants's possible SCOTUS picks.  Has anybody seen any good analysis on these goons... I mean possible justices?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 88   Go Up