Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2012  (Read 43646 times)

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
50 Movies in 2012
« on: December 30, 2011, 12:23:46 PM »

Thought I'd get this out in advance of Sunday.

Same format as before. Post your lists whichever way you wanna post 'em.
Opulence. I has it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2012
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 06:49:45 PM »

New to me films in bold
1 Limitless
Baby's got blue eyes. Decent enough thriller to kickstart the list for 2012. DeNiro phoning it in again though.
2 Rocky Mountain Express
Another impressive Omnimax movie highlighting a time when man's endeavour meant overcoming huge obstacles... rather than pushing buttons on a screen to make profits from invisible money. It's a real crime that America no longer has a viable rail network.
3 Idiocracy
We watch this every year or so, and each time real life seems to have taken one step closer to Mike Judge's vision of the future. As evidence: indiscriminate pepper spraying by police
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 06:17:18 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Chris

• Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 11:14:18 PM »

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (3.5 out of 5) - Fun little flick with some nice set pieces and Simon Pegg hamming it up. Overall a bunch of explosions and unique scenes that is usually mindless fluff, but this was a step above the usual mindless fluff fare. It's like soda... empty calories, but tastes good on the way down. Recommended if you just want to watch things go boom, see punches thrown, or listen to Simon's one-liners.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 10:49:49 AM »

Movies seen in 2012 (new movies in bold):
1. Young Adult

I really didn't like Young Adult. I don't think I like dark comedies or something. It wasn't fun, it was slow, it was awkward, it was painful, and it didn't feel like it made a point either. I struggled with it. I definitely laughed at a few points but overall it was less than an ideal film for my tastes. Oh well. I can't like 'em all.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 12:17:27 PM »

1. Love Actually
2. Swing time - this was a good hangover film. Light, funny, and enjoyable.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

New to me movies are in bold

1. The Princess Bride-- Still holds up quite well, if anything, I think it's better than when I first saw it. Wesley!!!
2. No Strings Attached- Ashton Kutcher/Natalie Portman. I liked him better than her, which is weird. AK should stick to rom-coms, he does them well, even if he's a tool in the real world.
3. The Truth about Cats and Dogs-- hmmm, nostalgically cute, but it really isn't a good movie when you get down to it. Garofalo is adorable, and Uma is such a newbie in this one.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 11:24:39 PM »

Movies seen in 2012 (new movies in bold):
1. Young Adult

I really didn't like Young Adult. I don't think I like dark comedies or something. It wasn't fun, it was slow, it was awkward, it was painful, and it didn't feel like it made a point either. I struggled with it. I definitely laughed at a few points but overall it was less than an ideal film for my tastes. Oh well. I can't like 'em all.

Dan, I'm surprised about your reaction. I LOVED this movie. No, it's not a "feel good" movie, but I thought it was bittersweet and very well done.

Today my kids (who are 22 and 25) and I went to see Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (even though I had just seen it but they really wanted to go), they had also seen the Swedish original and their sentiment was the same as mine: good movie but basically a replica of the original and in the end they were also non-plussed, as in: seen it before, so what's the point of it?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 11:26:21 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

1. Love Actually
2. Swing time - this was a good hangover film. Light, funny, and enjoyable.
3. Super 8 - I enjoyed this, although there were some lighting effects that bothered me... but I'm not sure if it was/is a flaw with my tv or something on the dvd.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 09:05:02 AM »

1) One Week

I forgot how good this movie was.  It is my favourite type of movie where it is all about the journey and not the destination.  Plus it has Pacey Witter.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 11:04:09 AM »

1. Forks Over Knives - 3

Looking for a movie to jumpstart the yearly diet attempt.  This one was pretty boring, despite all accounts of people saying it was "amazing".  It was actually not much better than a run-of-the-mill Dateline NBC piece.  Just way longer and with crazier claims.  Like the lady who had terminal cancer, stopped all treatment, got on a "whole foods, plant-based diet" and miraculously got well!  Irresponsible journalism of the highest order.  I heard the term "whole foods, plant-based diet" so much, it became like one of those words you say so much that it loses all meaning and just becomes a weird combination of syllables.

2. Die Welle (The Wave) - 5

A movie I randomly set upon on Netflix yesterday morning.  From Germany, I feel like this movie would've rang a whole lot more true with me if I were German.  A lot of it rests on the undertones of unease of Germany's past with autocracy and dictatorship.  I don't really feel that unease, personally.  The plot revolves around a school and a teacher who sets upon making his classroom a test of autocracy.  This is the kind of movie that thinks it clever to show a cool teacher driving to school singing "Rock and Roll High School" at the top of his lungs.  Oh, so he's a "cool" teacher.  If that doesn't tell you, then his The Clash t-shirt later will.  This movie came precipitously close to getting a 1 at the very end, but they reined back the plot twist and made it not completely outlandish and ridiculous.  Although, there is also a student who seems to be a little "off" and is kind of obsessed with guns.  So that will tell you something else. 

It's not by any means a "good" movie, but as a political science major I found it passable enough.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 12:37:08 PM »

New to me films in bold
1 Limitless
2 Rocky Mountain Express
3 Idiocracy

adding
4 The World is Not Enough
The last really good Bond film IMHO. The opening chase sequence on the Thames in London amongst the best ever produced for the franchise. The terrible final line one of the worst.
5 Erasing David
VERY contrived documentary project about a guy who tried to disappear for 30 days, whilst being tracked by PI's. The original article written for (I think) Wired magazine was far better. David, basically, was a wanker, and deserved to get rubbed off out
6 Live and Let Die
Yes, yes, again. What of it? "Names is for tombstones, baby! Y'all take this honkey out and waste him now!"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 06:01:52 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 02:05:05 PM »

1. X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - 01/01/12 - Blockbuster Express rental - repeat viewing - The Greg liked this as much as I knew that he would. Second viewing reinforces my belief that casting played a major part in my enjoyment of this film. McAvoy and Fassbender gave the right amount of weight to their prequel characters. Everything was so well done and tasteful for a prequel. There were nods to "things to come" but never in a cheesy or dumb way. Goooooooooooood stuff.
2. ESPN 30 for 30 "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks" - 01/01/12 - 3.5 out 5 - This was a lot of fun. I can remember this rivalry and the Eastern Conference scramble once Jordan retired. It was fun to go back and watch all of these players who were larger than life to me at the time. Great interviews. Great use of the available footage. Great smack talking after all of these years. Great to see players without tattoos. Ha. Just FUN FUN FUN. Watch it if you were ever a fan of the NBA in the early 90s. If you never watched the original games, seeing what Reggie Miller does in less than 18 seconds will blow your mind.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 07:28:21 PM »

1) One Week

I forgot how good this movie was.  It is my favourite type of movie where it is all about the journey and not the destination.  Plus it has Pacey Witter.

mmm... Pacey...
I liked this movie, too. And for reasons beyond Pacey Witter.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »

1. Limitless (Guy takes drug, gets smart and does dumb shit. Loved the premise but some of the plot points were just banal and predictable.)

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 08:32:38 AM »

1. Limitless (Guy takes drug, gets smart and does dumb shit. Loved the premise but some of the plot points were just banal and predictable.)
My problem with this film was this: You take a pill that makes you great at anything and everything and the most exciting thing you can think of is being REALLY good at financial transactions. Booooooooringggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 48   Go Up