Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48   Go Down

Author Topic: 50 Movies in 2012  (Read 30338 times)

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
Re: 50 Movies in 2012
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 09:11:23 AM »

1. Limitless (Guy takes drug, gets smart and does dumb shit. Loved the premise but some of the plot points were just banal and predictable.)
My problem with this film was this: You take a pill that makes you great at anything and everything and the most exciting thing you can think of is being REALLY good at financial transactions. Booooooooringggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
He can do everything to 100% of his ability, but all he wants to do is get rich. Greedy greedy greedy. Classic case of capitalism!
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • Spreadsheets R Us
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 09:29:12 AM »

If I had a time machine, I would go forward in time and get a sports almanac and then bet on all the sports and get RICH!!!!

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:54:34 AM »

If I had a time machine, I would go forward in time and get a sports almanac and then bet on all the sports and get RICH!!!!

And get Lea Thompson a boob job?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »

1. Limitless (Guy takes drug, gets smart and does dumb shit. Loved the premise but some of the plot points were just banal and predictable.)
My problem with this film was this: You take a pill that makes you great at anything and everything and the most exciting thing you can think of is being REALLY good at financial transactions. Booooooooringggggzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
He can do everything to 100% of his ability, but all he wants to do is get rich. Greedy greedy greedy. Classic case of capitalism!
And the way he went about it was stupid. Seemed as thought someone with below average intelligence wrote about what they would assume it would be like to be super smart without ever knowing or referencing an intelligent person.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 12:36:16 PM »

I agree - if he was really able to think things through intelligently and quickly, he should have known that becoming the big stud of a brokerage firm was going to raise alarms. What a numbnuts.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 11:21:41 PM »

Movies seen in 2012 (new movies in bold):
1. Young Adult
2. The Bridge on the River Kwai

Huh. So that's what this famous movie was about. Interesting and well done - especially for a film from 1957. Of course we all know that I was really watching it so I could see a young Obi-Wan Kenobi and I was thoroughly satisfied. He even had some repeat lines!

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »

New to me films in bold
1 Limitless
2 Rocky Mountain Express
3 Idiocracy
4 The World is Not Enough
5 Erasing David
6 Live and Let Die

adding
7 El Superstar: The Unlikely Rise of Juan Frances
Bizarre all-over-the-fucking-shop mockumentary about a ginger overweight would-be Latino music star. Just weird. With bagpipes.
8 Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Looked beautiful - couldn't spot one anachronism from start to finish... and I was watching closely! Acting good but they played VERY hard and fast with the original book condensing the storyline down to a point where it became very difficult and almost impossible to follow. Not a patch on the late 70's British TV adaptation w/Sir Alec.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 02:01:13 PM by Cockney Rebel »
Opulence. I has it.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »

1. Love Actually
2. Swing time - this was a good hangover film. Light, funny, and enjoyable.
3. Super 8 - I enjoyed this, although there were some lighting effects that bothered me... but I'm not sure if it was/is a flaw with my tv or something on the dvd.
4. Bridesmaids - Okay, admission time! I've never been much for the Judd Apatow movies, they've just been "meh!" for me. But, I got a quite a few laughs outta this one and kinda enjoyed it. And, as others have said, the friendship between Annie and Lillian is what sealed the movie for me. I've loved Melissa McCarthy since she was on Gilmore Girls, she's nearly always hilarious. And Chris O'Dowd was just adorable.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

Kenneth Toilethole

• City Elder
  • Definitely not Liz
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2012, 10:29:08 PM »

Looked beautiful - couldn't spot one anachronism from start to finish... and I was watching closely! Acting good but they played VERY hard and fast with the original book condensing the storyline down to a point where it became very difficult and almost impossible to follow. Not a patch on the late 70's British TV adaptation w/Sir Alec.
I'm heading to the Neon to see this Tuesday ($5 night!) and am really looking forward to it.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 07:53:12 PM »

I'm heading to the Neon to see this Tuesday ($5 night!) and am really looking forward to it.
I'm really intrigued to hear what you think of it. Especially if you have never read the book or seen the 7-part TV adaptation.
Opulence. I has it.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/mistergugi
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »

Movies seen in 2012 (new movies in bold):
1. Young Adult
2. The Bridge on the River Kwai
3. Wet Hot American Summer

I never went to camp like that, so I have no familiarity. But it was a fun and silly movie.

Cockney Rebel

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2012, 01:25:39 PM »

New to me films in bold
1 Limitless
2 Rocky Mountain Express
3 Idiocracy
4 The World is Not Enough
5 Erasing David
6 Live and Let Die

7 El Superstar: The Unlikely Rise of Juan Frances
adding
9 The Muppets
Hella fun. Lots of jokes for kids and adults. Observations: Jason Segel's muppet double looked more like Mitt Romney. Animal reminded me of Father Jack from "Father Ted". Kermit is still the most extravagant wank sock ever.
Opulence. I has it.

Atzend

• Fuzzywhizzletweets
  • City Elder
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2012, 08:06:02 PM »

1. Limitless
2. Godzilla vs. Mothra
3. The Andromeda Strain - Reminded me a bit of Di Palma's early work with the split screens with some Logan's Run set design.   Maybe I've been a bit too spoiled with ADD action, but I found it fairly slow and predictable. Probably wouldn't say the same if I watched it in 1971, but in 2012 I found it entertaining, but not all that spectacular.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:29:02 PM by Atzend »

c-lando

• Bacon Research & Sparkle Development/Cr0ndog Millionaire
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2012, 08:51:06 AM »

1. X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - 01/01/12 - Blockbuster Express rental - repeat viewing
2. ESPN 30 for 30 "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks" - 01/01/12 - 3.5 out 5
3. WE BOUGHT A ZOO - 01/08/12 - AMC Parkway Pointe with Victor and Amanda - 4.5 out of 5 - I loved everything about this movie even though it did make me cry like 50 times. Matt Damon is outstanding and only bested by the girl who plays his daughter. Hopeful, joyful, lovely movie with a great soundtrack and score. Go.See.It.
Once the bacon's done, all pants are off.  
PANTS PANTS REVOLUTION!!!

Butter

• Probably in the car
  • City Elder
  • Spreadsheets R Us
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2012, 09:59:01 AM »

1. Forks Over Knives - 3
2. Die Welle (The Wave) - 5

3. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - 5.5

Gary Oldman was great in this, but wow did I have a hard time following it.  Not having read the book or seen the miniseries... didn't help.  Plus, the first 30 minutes (aside from the Budapest scene) was dreadfully boring.  2 things I liked:  1) This is probably more like what actual spy games are like.  2) This was quintessentially British, and I enjoyed how faithful they were to the period.

4. Insidious - 7.5

Not a great horror movie by any means, but certainly was very entertaining.  The central idea behind why the boy disappears was certainly very interesting and a different idea than we usually see... but it devolved a bit into hokey-ness and wrapping things up a bit too quickly at the end.  Plus, the final "shock" was a little too obvious.

5. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - 8

Fun popcorn flick.  A plot that made reasonable sense and wasn't ridiculously hard to follow, which was a welcome change.  Just the second PG-13 movie I have allowed the kids to see, and they ate it up.  Got a little corny at the end, but at least they made fun of it during the "we're all ok, let's have a beer" scene.  Ethan Hunt took the worst beating, but came out of them all like a champ.  I would think at least wapping your head on a building's exoskeleton while dropping 2 stories would at least leave a mark.  But according to the film, it did not even leave him woozy.  It was kind of fun to see what would happen during a mission if everything didn't go as smoothly as planned, as I'm sure it often wouldn't.  Fully enjoyable big-budget action movie.  Recommended if you just want to see some stuff get blowed up.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48   Go Up