Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: 25 New Restaurants in 2011  (Read 11019 times)

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
Re: 25 New Restaurants in 2011
« Reply #120 on: November 23, 2011, 07:29:22 PM »

1. Maggiano's (Kenwood Towne Centre, Cincy)  
2. Sonoma Mediterranean and American Grill (Oakley Square, Cincy)  
3. Basil (Short North, C-bus)  
4. Market 65 (Capitol Square, C-Bus)
5. Honkin' Huge Burritos (Pioneer Courthouse Square, Portland)  
6. Deschutes Brewery (Pearl District, Portland)  
7. Isabel (Pearl District, Portland )  
8. Pho Van (SE Hawthorne, Portland)  
9. Doug Fir Lounge (E Burnside, Portland)  
10. Ken's Artisan Bakery (NW Portland)  
11. Baja Fresh (Pearl District, Portland )  
12. Laughing Planet (SE Belmont, Portland)  
13. Thai Peacock (somewhere in downtown Portland)
14. Godfathers Pizza (Minneapolis Airport)  
15. The Angry Baker (OTE, C-Bus)
16. Reethika (Dublin)  
17. HopCat (Downtown Grand Rapids)  
18. Real Food Cafe  (Alger Heights, Grand Rapids)
19. Cancun (Norwood)
20. Cumin (Polaris, C-Bus)
21. Fresh Street (Short North, C-Bus)
22. Aloha Hawaiian BBQ (5xNW, C-Bus)
23. Square Cafe (Pittsburgh)
24. Hot Head Burritos (Oakley, Cincinnati)  
25. Tastebuds (Cleveland)  
26. Buckeye Hall of Fame Grill (Grandview Yard, C-Bus)
27. Smokin' Bar-B-Que (Downtown Dayton)
28. Li Wah (Cleveland)
29. Zoup! (Independence)
30. Tadka Indian Cuisine (Dublin)  
31. Donkey Coffee (Athens)
32. Winking Lizard (Worthington)  

Traveling again...

33. Simply Splendid Salads (Louisville) -- stopped in here for lunch. For a salad place, they are a little slim on non-meat offerings, but thankfully I do eat fish, so I got a spinach salad with salmon. It also had goat cheese, pecans, strawberries, and tomatoes. It was pretty good, although not Market 65 good. 6/10
34. Lynn's Paradise Cafe (Louisville) -- guess this place has been on Man vs. Food, so it's a big tourist draw. I had the mushroom scramble (sans bacon) and cheese grits. Big portions, all tasted good, but seriously expensive for breakfast. Almost $20 with coffee and tip, just for me. Probably wouldn't go there if I weren't on vacation. 6/10
35. Third Ave. Cafe (Louisville) -- found this on Yelp as one of the top-rated vegetarian joints in Louisville. Not at all what I expected from a predominantly vegetarian restaurant, but in a good way. Kind of working-class neighborhood bar/diner atmosphere, with a lot of Elvis kitsch on the walls. Had the BBQ tofu sandwich and cole slaw. It was messy, but tasty. And I'm not usually a huge cole slaw fan, but this was good. Would absolutely return when back in Louisville. 8/10
36. Shiraz Mediterranean Grill (Louisville) - got carryout to bring back to the hotel, because this is just a few blocks away. Veggie kabob and hummus. Both certainly competent, but not as good as my favorite Columbus Mediterranean spots, Lavash or Olive Tree. 6/10
37. Bangkok Cafe (Ferndale, MI) -- Pleasantly surprised by this hole-in-the-wall Thai place in suburban Detroit where I stopped for an early dinner on Saturday. I had a tofu and vegetable soup with puffed rice in it that was very good. Although I think it may have been chicken broth, but since I'm not vegetarian for ethical reasons, I'm not overthinking it.... Entree was a vegetable curry. Nicely spiced, good variety of vegetables, including eggplant. All for $8.75 before tip, and with a ton left over for lunch the next day. 8/10
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:53:26 PM by The Hegemo »
I am not a dude

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • My heart belongs to Ryne Sandberg
« Reply #121 on: November 23, 2011, 11:11:06 PM »

1.  Paula's Cafe--4th St Cincinnati 
2.  Cafe de Paris--Garfield Pl Cincinnati
3.  Sophia's--Main St, Cincinnati
4.  Woody's Library Restaurant--Carmel, IN
http://www.woodyscarmel.com/web/bio.php
This is in a former Carnegie library building, and was suggested to us by the Carmel Clay library staff.  A bit expensive for lunch, but food was good.  I had Glazed Brandy Apples as a side and they were scrumptious. 
5.  Firehouse Grill--Blue Ash, OH
Formerly Anspara, formerly Watson Bros Brewery and whatever else was there.  Much louder than Anspara was, and I was a bit disappointed that it appeared that the brewing vats have been hidden. 
6.  Sky Galley--Lunken Airport, Cincinnati, OH
Went out with a couple of friends for lunch.  Saw a couple of planes take off and they currently have a B29 that you can take a look at. 
7.  Main St Diner, Main St, Cincinnati
8.  Potbelly Sandwich, Fountain Square, Cincinnati
9.  National Exemplar, Mariemont, OH
10.  Empress Chili, Hartwell  (for someone who doesn't like chili, I seem to go to chili places a lot.  But this one serves up Vienna Beef hot dogs!)
11.  Greek to Me, Court St Cincinnati
12.  Cafe de Vine, Vine St Cincinnati
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »

1. Indian Palace (Dublin) - A strip mall joint stuck between Dub Pub and Bonefish. The lunch buffet is cheap (7.99) and very tasty. It's rare to find goat curry on a buffet line but they had it. Aside from the bones, it was exceptionally tasty! I'll be back. 7
2. DiBella's (Dublin) - When I think of subs, these are the subs I think of. I was thrilled when I saw they were opening one up in C-bus and over the moon when I found out it's 1.5 miles from my house! It's a little bit of home in C-bus. Service was slow since they've only been open a week and everyone is still learning the menu but it was very, very good. 8
3. Whit's frozen custard (Dublin locale) - They serve food so they count.  :P  My Parent's pick, it wasn't bad... I had a rootbeer float which was more ice cream than root beer. Mom liked the almond joy ice cream. Can't say that I'll go back even if they're next door, I got 2 Graeter's stores, a UDF, and a Jeni's within 3 miles of my apartment so I can get better ice cream with not too much effort.
4. American Bar & Grill (Embassy Suites, Downtown Cleveland) - It was breakfast and ordinarily I wouldn't count a hotel brekkie as a restaurant but they had cooked to order food as part of the complimentary breakfast. It was good, having crispy bacon on a buffet line is a hard feat to manage but they did and the cooked to order stuff was done up quickly and was very tasty. Although, it probably helped that I was hungover but in a spectacular mood so as long as it was starchy and fried I was down with it.
5. The Windchimes (Dublin) - A chinese place near my apartment. I couldn't decide where to go and picked someplace close to home. I had the Mala chicken which is pretty spicy (it includes fried jalapenos) and was served in a large enough portion that I have more than enough for lunch tomorrow. The service was no-nonsense but polite, even though I was by myself I didn't feel rushed or out of place in a dark cozy dining room. Worth dodging the Dub Pub traffic idiocy to eat here tonight.
6. The Pub (Polaris) - Simulated British pub at a mall. The atmosphere was right, the food was meh, but the drinks were great. I was going to bitch about the pints being pricey, but they were 20oz "pints" for 5.85 which ain't bad. Plus it's summer and they have Pimm's cup on the drink menu. :-) I'll go back for drinks but not much else.
7. Jason's deli (Dublin) - Rather than eat the lukewarm burgers at the cafeteria's "picnic day", I went for the Mediterranean wrap at Jason's. Tasty as usual.
8. Bob Evan's (Dublin) - Breakfast with my Parents as they made their way back to the Homeland. Steak and eggs. The eggs were really dry and the most boring eggs ever, I'd asked for the steak to be cooked to medium but it was more like medium-rare which turned out to be a good thing as the steak was a cheap cut and would have been impossible to cut if it had been cooked anymore.
9. Columbus Fish Market (Crosswoods) - We went  for a friend's birthday. It was wonderful. I had the broiled rainbow trout, which was fantastic. The service was very good, attentive without being up in your face. It was kinda on the pricey-side, but since they fly fish in twice a day, the cost is understandable and the quality of the fish made it worth the price.
10. Quaker steak & lube (Polaris) - Went for lunch. Now, I am all about lunch buffets but the last thing I want on a buffet at a wing joint is chinese food. Unfortunately, "chinese" food was on the buffet today so I went with the menu. The wings were all right, a little dry (I probably should have asked for extra sauce)... but I think Winking Lizard does better wings.
11. Five guys (Dublin) - I'm gonna start with the fries. Why? Because at best they were greasy and at worst the only crunch they had was because they were undercooked. The only positive things I can say about them is that they were hot and properly salted. I can get better fries for cheaper at Wendy's. Now, the burger was wonderful. I got the bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and A-1 steak sauce. I'll go back but I'll only get a burger and skip the fries.
12. Donatos (Fishinger RD)
13. India Oak Pub (Clintonville) - We had lunch here during my United Way Community Cares day. They're known for their sandwiches. And they are pretty good. And pretty affordable. It looks very dive-y during the day but the service was great and it has that fun neighborhood bar vibe. I wish I lived closer to it.
14. Texas Roadhouse - Another birthday dinner. The steak was great but the service was so-so. Granted it was busy and we were not their favorite group (half of our 10 person party didn't show).
15. Olivor Twist (Willoughby, Ohio) -
[/quote]
16. Bill Gray's (Greece, NY) - One of my "must stop" places when I go to visit the 'rents. It's a burger joint, this particular locale is combined with a frozen custard place too. Who needs a Thanksgiving feast to bust your belt loops when this place exists? The star here really are the burgers. I got a cheeseburger with everything (cheese, pickle relish, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, mayo, onion and hot sauce*), Dad got a bacon cheeseburger with everything and Mom wussed out with a "plain" cheeseburger. *By "hot sauce" I don't mean the Frank's red hot variety, this is a spicy, vinegar-y meat sauce and it is worth the stains on your clothes.
17. Sandella's flatbread (Angola, NY) - My favorite rest area ever has had some changes in the restaurant offerings and I've always meant to try this place so I did. It's not bad. I had the buffalo chicken wrap which was suitably spicy... although I think most of the 400 calories in the wrap came from the flatbread which was over-abundant.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »

1. New China Buffet - Pavilion Blvd., Newport.
2. Mellow Mushroom Pizza - Wilder, KY.
3. The Grove - Spring Grove Avenue, Northside
4. Cafe Bistro - St. Elizabeth Healthcare-Edgewood, KY
5. Vintage Wine Bar & Restaurant - Hebron, KY
6. The Paddy Wagon Irish Pub & Restaurant - Main Street, Richmond, KY
7. Michael's Restaurant - Ravenna, KY.
8. Cedar Village Restaurant - Richmond Road, Irvine, KY.
9. Pho Lang Thang - Findlay Market, Over-the-Rhine
10. Indigo Casual Gourmet - Fort Mitchell, KY.
11. Giminetti Baking Company- Walnut Hills
12. La Esperanza - Cumberland Avenue, Middlesboro, KY.
13. The Winds Coffee & Cafe - Edgewood, KY.
14. Primavista - Matson Place, Incline District (E. Price Hill)
15. Bandera - Michigan Ave., Chicago
16. Bijan's Bistro - State St., Chicago
17. English GastroPub - N. LaSalle Ave., Chicago
18. Fado Irish Pub - W. Grand Ave., Chicago
19. Ben Pao - Illinois Ave., Chicago
20. Pizzaria Due - N. Wabash Ave., Chicago
21. Gangster's Dueling Piano Bar - Newport, KY
22. Europa Cafe - Covington, KY
23. WiggyDip Mobile Ice Cream Unit - various locations
24. Mrs. Teapots Tea Room - Fairfield Ave., Bellevue, KY
25. Twisted Sisters Cafe - Fairfield Ave., Bellevue, KY
26. Three Tiers Bakery - Fairfield Ave., Bellevue, KY
27. Casa Fiesta - Richmond, KY
28. Louisiana Fish House - Newport, KY
29. Sweetwater Tavern - somewhere near Boyleston St., Boston
30. Grotto - Bowdoin St., Boston
31. Ma Soba - Cambridge Ave., Boston
32. Antonio's Cucina Italiano - Cambridge Ave., Boston
33. The Fours - Canal St., Boston
34. The Bell in Hand - Boston
35. Maharaja - Cambridge (Harvard Square), Mass.
36. Al's State Street Cafe - State Street, Boston
37. Saus - Union Street, Boston
38. Cheers - Beacon Street, Boston
39. Thai 9 - Fifth St., Dayton

Great food, great atmosphere, great service, great craft beer selection.

40. Olives - Ludlow Ave., Clifton
Great value brunch with plenty of vegetarian offerings. They have a chef on hand to prepare made-to-order omelets and waffles too. We'll be returning often.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 04:34:22 PM by MissKitty »
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Poolio

• Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #124 on: December 11, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »

1. Indian Palace (Dublin) - A strip mall joint stuck between Dub Pub and Bonefish. The lunch buffet is cheap (7.99) and very tasty. It's rare to find goat curry on a buffet line but they had it. Aside from the bones, it was exceptionally tasty! I'll be back. 7
2. DiBella's (Dublin) - When I think of subs, these are the subs I think of. I was thrilled when I saw they were opening one up in C-bus and over the moon when I found out it's 1.5 miles from my house! It's a little bit of home in C-bus. Service was slow since they've only been open a week and everyone is still learning the menu but it was very, very good. 8
3. Whit's frozen custard (Dublin locale) - They serve food so they count.  :P  My Parent's pick, it wasn't bad... I had a rootbeer float which was more ice cream than root beer. Mom liked the almond joy ice cream. Can't say that I'll go back even if they're next door, I got 2 Graeter's stores, a UDF, and a Jeni's within 3 miles of my apartment so I can get better ice cream with not too much effort.
4. American Bar & Grill (Embassy Suites, Downtown Cleveland) - It was breakfast and ordinarily I wouldn't count a hotel brekkie as a restaurant but they had cooked to order food as part of the complimentary breakfast. It was good, having crispy bacon on a buffet line is a hard feat to manage but they did and the cooked to order stuff was done up quickly and was very tasty. Although, it probably helped that I was hungover but in a spectacular mood so as long as it was starchy and fried I was down with it.
5. The Windchimes (Dublin) - A chinese place near my apartment. I couldn't decide where to go and picked someplace close to home. I had the Mala chicken which is pretty spicy (it includes fried jalapenos) and was served in a large enough portion that I have more than enough for lunch tomorrow. The service was no-nonsense but polite, even though I was by myself I didn't feel rushed or out of place in a dark cozy dining room. Worth dodging the Dub Pub traffic idiocy to eat here tonight.
6. The Pub (Polaris) - Simulated British pub at a mall. The atmosphere was right, the food was meh, but the drinks were great. I was going to bitch about the pints being pricey, but they were 20oz "pints" for 5.85 which ain't bad. Plus it's summer and they have Pimm's cup on the drink menu. :-) I'll go back for drinks but not much else.
7. Jason's deli (Dublin) - Rather than eat the lukewarm burgers at the cafeteria's "picnic day", I went for the Mediterranean wrap at Jason's. Tasty as usual.
8. Bob Evan's (Dublin) - Breakfast with my Parents as they made their way back to the Homeland. Steak and eggs. The eggs were really dry and the most boring eggs ever, I'd asked for the steak to be cooked to medium but it was more like medium-rare which turned out to be a good thing as the steak was a cheap cut and would have been impossible to cut if it had been cooked anymore.
9. Columbus Fish Market (Crosswoods) - We went  for a friend's birthday. It was wonderful. I had the broiled rainbow trout, which was fantastic. The service was very good, attentive without being up in your face. It was kinda on the pricey-side, but since they fly fish in twice a day, the cost is understandable and the quality of the fish made it worth the price.
10. Quaker steak & lube (Polaris) - Went for lunch. Now, I am all about lunch buffets but the last thing I want on a buffet at a wing joint is chinese food. Unfortunately, "chinese" food was on the buffet today so I went with the menu. The wings were all right, a little dry (I probably should have asked for extra sauce)... but I think Winking Lizard does better wings.
11. Five guys (Dublin) - I'm gonna start with the fries. Why? Because at best they were greasy and at worst the only crunch they had was because they were undercooked. The only positive things I can say about them is that they were hot and properly salted. I can get better fries for cheaper at Wendy's. Now, the burger was wonderful. I got the bacon cheeseburger with grilled onions and A-1 steak sauce. I'll go back but I'll only get a burger and skip the fries.
12. Donatos (Fishinger RD)
13. India Oak Pub (Clintonville) - We had lunch here during my United Way Community Cares day. They're known for their sandwiches. And they are pretty good. And pretty affordable. It looks very dive-y during the day but the service was great and it has that fun neighborhood bar vibe. I wish I lived closer to it.
14. Texas Roadhouse - Another birthday dinner. The steak was great but the service was so-so. Granted it was busy and we were not their favorite group (half of our 10 person party didn't show).
15. Olivor Twist (Willoughby, Ohio) -
16. Bill Gray's (Greece, NY) - One of my "must stop" places when I go to visit the 'rents. It's a burger joint, this particular locale is combined with a frozen custard place too. Who needs a Thanksgiving feast to bust your belt loops when this place exists? The star here really are the burgers. I got a cheeseburger with everything (cheese, pickle relish, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, mayo, onion and hot sauce*), Dad got a bacon cheeseburger with everything and Mom wussed out with a "plain" cheeseburger. *By "hot sauce" I don't mean the Frank's red hot variety, this is a spicy, vinegar-y meat sauce and it is worth the stains on your clothes.
17. Sandella's flatbread (Angola, NY) - My favorite rest area ever has had some changes in the restaurant offerings and I've always meant to try this place so I did. It's not bad. I had the buffalo chicken wrap which was suitably spicy... although I think most of the 400 calories in the wrap came from the flatbread which was over-abundant.
18. Mellow Mushroom (161 and Sawmill) - My first truly solid food since getting my wisdom tooth out. It was a nice way to get back to solids. The service was good and the food was tasty.
Insert witty phrase or quote here.

The Hegemo

• City Elder
    • Facebook
« Reply #125 on: December 12, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »

1. Maggiano's (Kenwood Towne Centre, Cincy)  
2. Sonoma Mediterranean and American Grill (Oakley Square, Cincy)  
3. Basil (Short North, C-bus)  
4. Market 65 (Capitol Square, C-Bus)
5. Honkin' Huge Burritos (Pioneer Courthouse Square, Portland)  
6. Deschutes Brewery (Pearl District, Portland)  
7. Isabel (Pearl District, Portland )  
8. Pho Van (SE Hawthorne, Portland)  
9. Doug Fir Lounge (E Burnside, Portland)  
10. Ken's Artisan Bakery (NW Portland)  
11. Baja Fresh (Pearl District, Portland )  
12. Laughing Planet (SE Belmont, Portland)  
13. Thai Peacock (somewhere in downtown Portland)
14. Godfathers Pizza (Minneapolis Airport)  
15. The Angry Baker (OTE, C-Bus)
16. Reethika (Dublin)  
17. HopCat (Downtown Grand Rapids)  
18. Real Food Cafe  (Alger Heights, Grand Rapids)
19. Cancun (Norwood)
20. Cumin (Polaris, C-Bus)
21. Fresh Street (Short North, C-Bus)
22. Aloha Hawaiian BBQ (5xNW, C-Bus)
23. Square Cafe (Pittsburgh)
24. Hot Head Burritos (Oakley, Cincinnati)  
25. Tastebuds (Cleveland)  
26. Buckeye Hall of Fame Grill (Grandview Yard, C-Bus)
27. Smokin' Bar-B-Que (Downtown Dayton)
28. Li Wah (Cleveland)
29. Zoup! (Independence)
30. Tadka Indian Cuisine (Dublin)  
31. Donkey Coffee (Athens)
32. Winking Lizard (Worthington)  
33. Simply Splendid Salads (Louisville)  
34. Lynn's Paradise Cafe (Louisville)  
35. Third Ave. Cafe (Louisville)  
36. Shiraz Mediterranean Grill (Louisville)
37. Bangkok Cafe (Ferndale, MI)  

38. Explorer's Club (Merion Village, C-Bus) -- People who have been in Columbus for a long time are super-excited about this place, as its owners used to run some much-loved places in the 90s. That pre-dates my time in Columbus, but I was still keen to try it. I went for brunch on Saturday with some friends. Got the special vegetarian omelet, which on that day came with zucchini, feta, and pesto. It was very good, and even better with some house-made hot sauce on top. Definitely want to come back and try lunch or dinner, as the menus for those look very interesting. 8/10
39. Curry & Hurry (North Campus, C-Bus) -- In the location that used to be Curry & Kabab. Carryout only. I had the Palak Mushroom, medium spicy; vegetable samosa, and garlic naan. I liked all of it, and had plenty for leftovers the next day. 7/10
40. Tava Turkish Grill (Morse & Hamilton, Gahanna) -- Operates on the same principle as Chipotle, but with Turkish food. I had the falafel & rice bowl, and a side of the Turkish bread, which is AWESOME. $8 and I had leftovers, and all very tasty. Wish this were closer to my office so I could go here for lunch regularly. 8/10
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 10:33:35 AM by The Hegemo »
I am not a dude

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »

This is in a former Carnegie library building, and was suggested to us by the Carmel Clay library staff.  A bit expensive for lunch, but food was good.  I had Glazed Brandy Apples as a side and they were scrumptious. 
Formerly Anspara, formerly Watson Bros Brewery and whatever else was there.  Much louder than Anspara was, and I was a bit disappointed that it appeared that the brewing vats have been hidden. 
Went out with a couple of friends for lunch.  Saw a couple of planes take off and they currently have a B29 that you can take a look at. 
10.  Empress Chili, Hartwell  (for someone who doesn't like chili, I seem to go to chili places a lot.  But this one serves up Vienna Beef hot dogs!)
13.  Island Cow, Sanibel Island, FL
14.  Miller's World Famous Oyster House, Everglades City, FL
"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."

trixi

• Sun Bum
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
« Reply #127 on: December 29, 2011, 06:50:53 PM »

13.  Island Cow, Sanibel Island, FL
14.  Miller's World Famous Oyster House, Everglades City, FL
15.  Lazy Flamingo, Sanibel Island, FL

MaxieWOXY

• Summer Resident
« Reply #128 on: December 30, 2011, 03:00:15 PM »

I was in the Sandella's in Dublin a month or two ago. Been wanting to try it for awhile. It was Saturday night around 7:30 and the place was EMPTY - literally not one other customer. After trying the food, I understand why. Completely average. Will not return.

Side note: you must live very close to me. We're in Waterford Village, about a 7 minute walk from DVT - one of my favorite local restaurants/hang out spots.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 03:06:40 PM by MaxieWOXY »

MaxieWOXY

• Summer Resident
« Reply #129 on: December 30, 2011, 03:05:53 PM »

[/quote]

I've never understood the gushing over Windchimes like so many around here do. I think it's just alright for the most part. Sadly, I'd much rather have the Thai Dynamite from Pei Wei every time!

We hit Jason's Deli all the time. IMO, you really can't beat it when you want a quick bite to eat. I'm glad they will still make you a JB's Bagelini, even though they took it off the menu. That thing is outstanding!

Big fan of Five Guys - including the fries. Sounds like you just got a bad batch as that is not typical at all.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up