Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Not-So-United States  (Read 4429 times)

lutz

• City Elder
Not-So-United States
« on: January 16, 2012, 08:31:11 AM »

The BBC have an article on predictions for 2112, and one suggests that "California will lead the break-up of the US".

Likelihood 8/10. There are some indications already that California wants to split off and such pressures tend to build over time. It is hard to see this waiting until the end of the century. Maybe an East Coast cluster will want to break off too. Pressures come from the enormous differences in wealth generation capability, and people not wanting to fund others if they can avoid it.

What do you think? If it does happen, will it be California or Texas who seccedes first? Do you think Americans would be better off if the USA was broken up into several smaller unions?

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Not-So-United States
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 09:03:34 AM »

There are some indications already that California wants to split off

Call me uninformed, but what are these indications they speak of?
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

jcarwash31

• Citizen
    • The Big Stuff Project
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

I think they may be confusing politics with seismology.  California may split off once the big one hits.  :o

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 11:12:44 PM »

As far as I can tell, I know of no one that has ever thought the USA splitting would be a good idea. In a Jim Bouton book that I read written in 1969 is the only time I've ever even heard someone mention it, and the point was that Texas "can" break away whenever it wants and yet when he says that it should to a Texan they are always taken aback.

California is indeed the most likely from an economic standpoint as they would be something like the 4th wealthiest country in the world if they were their own, but yet California is still always taking bailouts from the US govt and lately has been completely broke. So yeah, I don't know about that either.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 06:51:16 AM »

There are some indications already that California wants to split off

Call me uninformed, but what are these indications they speak of?
I thought you folks might be able to shed some light on this for me, but apparently there is no light to shed. I suppose this will be a short-lived discussion, then.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 08:19:51 AM »

I dunno. The US has always been a place that's grown. I bet in 2112 it will have continued to do so. I don't know where - parts of Canada or Mexico; perhaps some islands that make no geographic sense - but as long as the US continues to be a (relatively) healthy country it's probably safe.

Markalot

• Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 09:31:09 AM »

Good grief that's ridiculous.  California is one of the least likely states to secede, in my opinion. 
-- Mark

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 06:47:02 AM »

California is one of the most dependent states on government handouts, due to the untenability of their statewide budget and general economic climate.  If they split off, they would need to all of a sudden create a federal-esque infrastructure of mammoth proportion to handle things like the massive immigration influx and social programs that the feds handle now.  I am not sure where they would get the trillion dollars they would need to handle that, considering that the state budget is constantly in the red by many billions of dollars.

It's not going to happen.

lutz

• City Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »

What about within the next century? Is it possible that states like California get tired of partisan politics and decide to form their own governments?

va-vacious

• City Elder
    • http://va-vacious.livejournal.com
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »

Isn't CA just a microcosm of the US? They have just as many conservatives as liberals, (from my understanding)so partisan politics is very much part of what happens there.

For the same reasons Butter listed, I don't think Cali is going anywhere. If anything, it will be more dependent on the feds for infrastructure in the future.

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2012, 08:13:07 AM »

A century is a long time. I suppose anything could happen in that time frame and yes if there is one state that wanted to break away and be on its own, and be able to actually support itself, then California has got to be the place. But with the current state (and foreseeable future) that's not even close to happening.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 01:25:19 PM »

what the hell are you guys talking about?!  it's sooner than we think!  i'm looking forward to this documentary. 

poach eggs, not elephants

Dan

• Tetris Master
  • City Elder
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 06:04:44 PM »

I heard today that 7 of the 10 towns/cities on a list published for "hardest places in America to find a job" were all in California.

scurvygirl

• Fiery One
  • City Elder
    • Scurvytown
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 08:06:42 PM »

I find the idea interesting because it happens in some fiction I've been writing. I'd love to see more debate about it, actually. In my fiction, we'll have 2 factions: those who don't believe the US will break apart, and those that do. Eventually, the debates will become so heated that the US breaks apart into two separate countries. Of course, now that the succession is real, all sorts of craziness happens between the non-believers and those who ended up being right all along.
Remember to always be yourself.  Unless you suck.~ My BIG DAMN hero, Joss Whedon

Bonne et heureuse semaine!

Buzzstein

• I have no title
  • City Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 11:02:00 PM »

I find the idea interesting because it happens in some fiction I've been writing. I'd love to see more debate about it, actually. In my fiction, we'll have 2 factions: those who don't believe the US will break apart, and those that do. Eventually, the debates will become so heated that the US breaks apart into two separate countries. Of course, now that the succession is real, all sorts of craziness happens between the non-believers and those who ended up being right all along.

That is interesting.
How the hell do I get back to Cincinnati??...Again!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up