Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filibusters  (Read 1061 times)

dirk

• City Elder
Filibusters
« on: January 14, 2012, 10:25:55 AM »

I am curious what everyone thinks of the current use of filibusters in the Senate (or really the threat of filibusters).  In theory, I like the idea of filibusters as way to stop really obnoxious bills being pushed through, but with the way it has been used in recent years, I am almost in favour of getting rid of it.  It has become a way to completely stop the Senate from doing anything at all the minority party doesn't agree with.  The Republicans have began to use it to basically stop government so they can then try and point the finger at Democrats (and specifically Obama) as not getting anything done.  And if the power swaps next year, I have no doubt the Democrats will begin to use the same strategy and I can't really blame them since if it works for the Repubs, why shouldn't they, even if it is a shitty tactic I wish no one would use.

I don't want to see the filibuster eliminated completely, because I like the concept, but I just don't see it ever going back to being used in a reasonable manner.  At minimum, I think they need to go back to real filibusters where the only way to keep it going is to have someone up there speaking 24/7.  That way it at least has some consequences for the people filibustering and might limit its use some. 
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Dizzy

• Summer Resident
Re: Filibusters
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 12:01:18 PM »

I like them when they actually used, the democrats in recent history haven't called the republicans bluff so we don't really know how they would work.  I would like to see them fuckers have to actually be in the chamber and stand up for it if they think something is worth blocking.
Pages: [1]   Go Up