Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die  (Read 4151 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Lana Del Rey - Born to Die
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2012, 02:55:14 PM »

No, that SNL is pretty horrible.  Maybe not like monumentally horrible.  But it's terrible.

Seems like people spend a lot of time on this (including on satellite radio, where the DJs seem to feel the need to defend her EVERY FUCKING TIME they play any of her songs).  I don't really obsess about it.  Just another artist I don't like and change when they come on.  Sorta like Bon Iver or the new Black Keys stuff.

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2012, 03:23:05 PM »

What stuck me more than how off she sounded (it wasn't bad per say, but it just sounded weird, and that is from someone who likes the song) was her lack of presence.  She looks like she doesn't want to be there and has no interest in actually connecting with the audience.  It's almost like she is trying to turn people off with her performance.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:24 PM »

What stuck me more than how off she sounded (it wasn't bad per say, but it just sounded weird, and that is from someone who likes the song) was her lack of presence.  She looks like she doesn't want to be there and has no interest in actually connecting with the audience.  It's almost like she is trying to turn people off with her performance.
well different people see different things I guess. "Trying to turn people off"? I didn't get any impression like that when I watched the SNL clips on YouTube.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »

I have heard it said she gets nervous performing in public. Whether that is the case or not I don't know but she wouldn't be the first artist to have stage fright. I think I read this after watching her performance on Jools Holland last year. Anyway, not making excuses but there could very well be a good reason why she wasn't up to par.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »

but there could very well be a good reason why she wasn't up to par.

At this point, I'm pretty sure it is because she sucks... but that's just me.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 11:38:11 AM »

Apparently "Born To Die" is likely/on track to debut at No. 2 on the Billboard album chart next week according to Billboard (of course Adele is still at No. 1).

I have to say I am really surprised by this. This is not a "mainstream" commercial album at any level or in any aspect of it.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2012, 11:56:22 AM »

How could an album possibly get any more commercial or mainstream than this? 

I don't say that like commercial or mainstream is a bad thing, but come on.  You think Interscope signs artists who they think can move 15,000 records and tour 1k venues?

mik

• City Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 02:10:26 PM »

I like the 3 or 4 Lana Del Rey songs that I've heard. I don't think they are great but I do think they are pretty good. I heard the interview she did on sirius xmu a couple of weeks ago and thought she made some good points against those who feel she hasn't "suffered enough for her art yet"..........
i]There are twelve people in the world. The rest are paste[/i]

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 02:37:00 PM »

I really don't understand the backlash about her being "fake".  Sure, she is basically playing a character, but from seeing and hearing her, that is exactly what I would expect.  It's not like she is out there claiming this is really who she is.  And I'm sure these people complaining about her playing a character would never do that about Alice Cooper or David Bowie or Freddy Mercury.  Rock and roll is a place where you can reinvent yourself.

And now that I have heard a few more songs off her CD, I really am not impressed.  I still like Video Games, but the couple other songs I have heard sound exactly like it.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »

I think the complaints about her being fake have to do with her and perhaps Interscope's failure to market herself. 

Lady Gaga is totally fake.  Katy Perry is totally fake.  Ke$ha is totally fake.  Kanye West is 90% fake.  Same with Taylor Swift.  And no one cares.  Because people buy into their character. 

But I don't think a lot of people know what Lana Del Rey is.  What is the "gangsta Nancy Sinatra?"  I don't think she's gangsta at all, nor does she sound like Nancy Sinatra, nor is Nancy Sinatra necessarily someone I think is cool.  And she dresses sort of old Hollywood, which is neither gangsta or Sinatra. 

Some people buy her as some kind of unique amalgamation of all sorts stuff, which is what makers her cool.  And the other side see her as half-assing a bunch of stereotype/stropes together in a way that makes no sense.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

Lady Gaga is totally fake.  Katy Perry is totally fake.  Ke$ha is totally fake.  Kanye West is 90% fake.  Same with Taylor Swift.  And no one cares.  Because people buy into their character. 

Exactly, Garth Brooks is a prime example of a character that was sold very well... so well in fact that very few really got that it was fake.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 12:01:58 AM »

How could an album possibly get any more commercial or mainstream than this? 

Maybe you are I are not in the same universe: "mainstream" or "commercial" for me would be Adele, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Kesha, stuff like that. This is MILES away from it. I would equate this more to Fiona Apple-like, to be honest. A very narrow niche that might sell okay.

And by the way, it's not because Lana Del Rey's album is selling well (for now anyway) that this is "mainstream". I mean, Radiohead's "In Rainbow" and "Kid A" went to the top of Billboard, but would you call that "mainstream"? (Not that I am equating her to Radiohead, mind you.)

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2012, 08:26:05 AM »

Maybe you are I are not in the same universe: "mainstream" or "commercial" for me would be Adele, Beyonce, Lady Gaga, Kesha, stuff like that. This is MILES away from it. I would equate this more to Fiona Apple-like, to be honest. A very narrow niche that might sell okay.

And by the way, it's not because Lana Del Rey's album is selling well (for now anyway) that this is "mainstream". I mean, Radiohead's "In Rainbow" and "Kid A" went to the top of Billboard, but would you call that "mainstream"? (Not that I am equating her to Radiohead, mind you.)

Fiona Apple?  Have you heard the song "Radio"?  Aside from the horrific lyrics, I don't think it gets much more "pop" than that.  You seem to be a pretty savvy music fan, euro.  I am surprised you are still clinging to this idea that this is indie rock somehow.

Now, if LDR comes out with her next album that has a paragraph for a title and is pretty aggressively antagonizing her audience, then maybe you've got something.  But somehow I don't see that happening.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »

Another humorous comparison made by a friend of mine:

Is Lana Del Rey the attractive daughter of Vera de Milo?

He then proceeded to sing Video Games in Jim's Vera voice.  Actually, to be fair, he just "sang" random crap about sitting in a living room and said the words "pretty girl" & "video games" a few times.  That's about the same lyrical content.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up