Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiohead to play Riverbend  (Read 14951 times)

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
Re: Radiohead to play Riverbend
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2018, 07:30:24 AM »

Hot takes!

Creep is a great song and deservedly a classic.  Itís as good as anything in their catalog non-ok computer.  The fact that it sounds nothing like latter day Radiohead does not make it gimmicky.  The progression it is built on has a III and a borrowed iv with a deceptive cadence.  Nothing too, too crazy but I would say itís still unconventional.  They were already showing their stripes. 

Karma Police is pretty much a standard pop song.  The chord progression is a little off-the-beaten path but the structure is pretty much conventional.  Most of their stuff up to ok computer is pretty conventionally structured.  Ok computer has some long songs and interludes and is generally rather concept-y, but thereís nothing too out there on it... other than the genius.

I do not like experimental pop for the most part and the vast majority of Radiohead post Kid A boring.  But even then, itís wildly overrated.  Itís mostly the same glitchy crap with falsetto crooning that, while not horrible is pretty average.  Admittedly punctuated by ocassional moments of sheer brilliance that I still mostly donít care for but still have to go daaaaaaaaaamn.  But thatís pretty much the secret. 

90% of Radiohead albums are like ornamental grasses.  Theyíre just there as background to provide some contrast and texture to make the other 10% look good.  Thatís how Radiohead have chosen to play it, and it does create a unique listening experience.  But yeah, reviewers who try to go track by track like theyíre all good and then try to break it down or whatever are idiots.  Their albums are not structured for that type of listening.

I might go more like 70/30, but I understand what you are saying.

In concert, and afterwards in practice, I am struck by how many of their songs are actually not all that unconventional in structure... they just like to throw a lot of different instrumentation or bleeps and bloops in there that throw people off.  Or interludes that are just sort of there.  I am a pretty big fan, but I would still classify a fair bit of their catalog as not my favorite.

daytime drinking

• City Elder
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2018, 11:43:06 AM »

i've phased out my concert shirts.  it used to be all i wore.  the only one in heavy rotation is a ryan adams shirt i cut the sleeves off of.  it's got a giant picture of his face on it and it's the only shirt i wear in the summer.  my cousin got it at a show in milwaukee and thought it was hilarious.  are we counting the wolf parade number i cut the sleeves off years ago and now is my painting shirt?  my dad had a sick ass rush shirt that was all torn to shit.  word is brother doesn't know what he did with it
poach eggs, not elephants

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2018, 02:03:35 PM »

Sounds like your brother is holding out on you

Paco

• Tourist
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »

Well, can you blame him? It's Rush, dude. Rush.

euro60

• City Elder
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2018, 08:56:45 PM »

CR in the movie thread: Is there no joy in the world anymore?

CR in the Radiohead thread: This band you like is shit.

The fact that Thom ("I've suffered for my music, now it's your turn") Yorke is still a revered chancer in today's music industry makes me believe there is no joy in the world. In related news "Get off my motherfucking lawn"
Opulence. I has it.

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #276 on: August 03, 2018, 02:02:05 PM »

I'm with CR on this.  No one should be putting Thom Yorke on a pedestal for his work with Radiohead*

*Because that honor is reserved for Jonny Greenwood. 

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #277 on: August 04, 2018, 12:06:52 AM »

I'm with CR on this.  No one should be putting Thom Yorke on a pedestal for his work with Radiohead*

*Because that honor is reserved for Jonny Greenwood.
I can't quite disagree with that. Jonny Greenwood's work outside the band in recent years, in particular his outstanding movie scores, has been absolutely amazing
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #278 on: August 04, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »

Iím not knocking Radiohead so much as the Paste videos and things like that where people try to outdo themselves by finding the most obscure Radiohead songs and proclaiming them to be in fact their greatest work.

What all of us are saying ties in together.  I understand CRís observation that much of radiohead, particular post ok 2.0 Radiohead stuff are not ďsongsĒ per se.  And IMO, most critics and many listeners just come across like pretentious assholes when they try to critique them as conventional songs that Only special,people can understand.

The way you listen to radiohead and the way that Greenwood writes and his influence on the band plus the way they actually title shit like Exit Movie to a Film or Motion Picture Soundtrack seems to indicate that they are heavily influenced by cinematic scores.  And most 2000 radiohead albums should be listened to that way.  Theyíre not formal concept albums but they are somewhat like the soundtracks to non existent movies

And when you do listen to them like that, they are suddenly not all that experimental.  The weird bloop on this song goes with a similar bleep on that other song.  This sort of random passage is somewhat deliberately out of place here, but itís part of a running motif of some kind so it makes sense in context of the album.  This track is just sort of setting up the calm before the storm. Etc.

They do have songs which stand on their own, but I think those songs are usually pretty obvious.  They have real lyrics with somewhat clear enunciation instead just Yorkeís falsetto coong and moaning.  The songs have endings, like drums stop, someone hits the tonic chord, DuNh...the end.
Those are intentional centerpieces, IMO.  But they are 1-2 tracks per album.

Whereas when I go back and listen to ok computer I,m surprised joe by how well those songs function as standalone pieces.  Like butter said, there are some odd bloops thrown in but fundamentally thereís a clear structure and familiar chord progressions and what not. 

Like, thereís a reason that even though radiohead is easily the biggest indie band in the world and maybe even just the biggest band in the world, you donít really hear too many latter day Radiohead tracks on the radio.  Even on indie stations.  You hear Karma Police, or Paranoid Android, Fake Plastic Trees, or Creep.  Those were hit singles for a reason. And now they are expanding to deeper tracks like Let Down or whatever.  But not anything from the new albums.

Thereís nothing wrong with what radiohead is doing.  I donít care for it, but thatís just me.  Iím just saying to me they have quite deliberately moved from being a standard-ish rock band with some quirks towards a more concept-y band a la Pink Floyd maybe with running album themes but still mostly standalone tracks to being score composers.  It seems to me to be a very clear and linear evolution.

I love Greenwoodís soundtracks.... because thereís a real movie to go with them.  I have a hard time listening to any sort of orchestral/movie score type soundtracks if I have not seen the movie, whether it is radiohead or not.  And Radiohead's stuff is like a movie soundtrack where I have not seen the movie.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up