Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiohead to play Riverbend  (Read 21000 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Re: Radiohead to play Riverbend
« Reply #255 on: July 26, 2018, 11:39:48 AM »

If anyone happens to stumble on a review of last night's show, please post a link.

Back in the day, the Enquirer would've done a review, but those days are long gone (and writing concert reviews is a dying art).
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #256 on: July 26, 2018, 12:02:07 PM »

I notice that Let Down seems to have slowly become much more of a single over the years.  And my appreciation for it has risen accordingly.  It's probably my favorite Radiohead song right now.

But I also think if they played songs off OK Computer those could become my favorite Radiohead songs.  The thing with that album is that every song is so good, and every song fits in so well the songs around that you tend to miss individual songs in terms of just hearing everything as part of the collective whole.  The album is so sort of bleakly, sterile-y depressing while somehow at the same time having so many ups and downs that it's an exhausting listen and things get missed.

I kinda missed Let Down because at that point I'm just barely recovered from Paranoid Android and  now I'm having to try and get geared up for Karma Police.

I got stuck listening so someone's junk random Spotify/Pandora playlist recently and Lucky came on. That is a huge emotional gut punch of a song.  And it was written and released pre-OK Computer so it was intended to work as a standalone.  And it does.  But when its in OK Computer, by that point in the album I'm already pretty much just curled up in a fetal position so it just kind washes over me.

You're not wrong, my man.  There's a reason they closed the first encore with No Surprises, the second with Karma Police, and a big highlight of the main portion of the concert was Lucky smack in the middle.  They're all amazing.

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #257 on: July 26, 2018, 01:42:37 PM »

If anyone happens to stumble on a review of last night's show, please post a link.

Back in the day, the Enquirer would've done a review, but those days are long gone (and writing concert reviews is a dying art).

I work in the entertainment section at The Enquirer and would have happily gone and written a review, but, well, the less said about the state of affairs the better.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #258 on: July 26, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »

I work in the entertainment section at The Enquirer and would have happily gone and written a review, but, well, the less said about the state of affairs the better.
"Back in the day" refers primarily to Chris Varias, who reviewed a LOT of shows for the Enquirer, basically everyone who passed through Riverbend and US Bank Arena (which then was called something else), but he also did Bogart and Taft shows, and even the occasional SGH gig. He basically hated pretty much ALL of them and excelled in giving "thumbs down" reviews. I always wondered what made him so negative about all these shows. Then one day, by utter happenstance (and I'm talking probably 15 years ago), I took my daughter to a show at Riverbend, and we ended up sitting right next to him in the Pavilion. So we struck up a conversation, and Varias was the nicest guy you can imagine. The next day (or day after that) his review of the show was in the newspaper. He absolutely demolished whoever it was we saw (I'm thinking it was John Mayer, or maybe Dashboard Confessional, but I could be wrong). While I disagreed with many of Varias' concert reviews, it was still fun to read them and gave you something to think about. Of course, concert attendants are self-selective: you're not going to buy tickets to a show you don't think you're going to enjoy, and most of the time in fact you enjoy it greatly, so you are emotionally invested and biased. Whereas Varias couldn't care less. It was just a job to do.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #259 on: July 26, 2018, 04:19:12 PM »

In sharp contrast with the Enquirer, the Columbus Dispatch did publish a review of Radiohead's show there on Monday:

http://www.dispatch.com/entertainment/20180724/concert-review--radiohead-iconic-band-captivates-diverse-fans

Nothing monumental as such, but pleasant enough. It would've been nice to see something similar about the show in Cincinnati. Alas...

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #260 on: July 26, 2018, 10:44:00 PM »

.......there were some magical moments.
i normally wouldn't post someone's shitty phone footage but just scrub to 3:15 here.....that was memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8scwa6dLptA
bongo hard or bongo home

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #261 on: July 27, 2018, 01:16:21 PM »

How old were the people at the show, mostly 30+?

I don't know what is more scary to me, the thought of Radiohead as a dinosaur nostalgia act, or the thought that someone under the age of 25 is still listening to Radiohead and attending expensive classic rock stadium shows.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #262 on: July 27, 2018, 02:35:23 PM »

How old were the people at the show, mostly 30+?

I don't know what is more scary to me, the thought of Radiohead as a dinosaur nostalgia act, or the thought that someone under the age of 25 is still listening to Radiohead and attending expensive classic rock stadium shows.

Yes.  We had a 20 year old sitting next to us, but it was definitely mostly 30+.  A couple of 10 year olds here and there.

Drjohnrock

• City Elder
  • Wondering whassup? It's Fall sound!
« Reply #263 on: July 27, 2018, 02:44:49 PM »

"Back in the day" refers primarily to Chris Varias, who reviewed a LOT of shows for the Enquirer, basically everyone who passed through Riverbend and US Bank Arena (which then was called something else), but he also did Bogart and Taft shows, and even the occasional SGH gig. He basically hated pretty much ALL of them and excelled in giving "thumbs down" reviews. I always wondered what made him so negative about all these shows. Then one day, by utter happenstance (and I'm talking probably 15 years ago), I took my daughter to a show at Riverbend, and we ended up sitting right next to him in the Pavilion. So we struck up a conversation, and Varias was the nicest guy you can imagine. The next day (or day after that) his review of the show was in the newspaper. He absolutely demolished whoever it was we saw (I'm thinking it was John Mayer, or maybe Dashboard Confessional, but I could be wrong). While I disagreed with many of Varias' concert reviews, it was still fun to read them and gave you something to think about. Of course, concert attendants are self-selective: you're not going to buy tickets to a show you don't think you're going to enjoy, and most of the time in fact you enjoy it greatly, so you are emotionally invested and biased. Whereas Varias couldn't care less. It was just a job to do.

Varias reviewed the Cincy Blues Fest a few years ago when Webb Wilder headlined on the main stage.  He effusively praised Wilder but said the crowd had dwindled to a "handful" by the time of his set. Not so.  The crowd had dwindled but there were still several dozen people there.  Go figure.
I refuse to shut up about Johnny Dowd until the world recognizes his musical genius.  I may lose my voice before that happens but at least I can enjoy the man's music while going mute.

Don't feed trolls by responding to or acknowledging them.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #264 on: July 29, 2018, 08:08:33 PM »

No "Creep"?

Leave out the only thing they've ever done that sounds like a proper song?

#thomyorkesogoodtheynamedhimonce
#iknowimintheminorityhereaboutradiohead
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #265 on: July 29, 2018, 11:41:23 PM »

No "Creep"?

Leave out the only thing they've ever done that sounds like a proper song?
Guess you don't care for Radiohead much. Considering their overall catalog, "Creep" is a gimmicky tune (and which they rarely play anymore). Art-pop must not be your thing...

Zafer Kaya

• City Elder
« Reply #266 on: July 30, 2018, 01:21:10 AM »

Hot takes!

Creep is a great song and deservedly a classic.  Itís as good as anything in their catalog non-ok computer.  The fact that it sounds nothing like latter day Radiohead does not make it gimmicky.  The progression it is built on has a III and a borrowed iv with a deceptive cadence.  Nothing too, too crazy but I would say itís still unconventional.  They were already showing their stripes. 

Karma Police is pretty much a standard pop song.  The chord progression is a little off-the-beaten path but the structure is pretty much conventional.  Most of their stuff up to ok computer is pretty conventionally structured.  Ok computer has some long songs and interludes and is generally rather concept-y, but thereís nothing too out there on it... other than the genius.

I do not like experimental pop for the most part and the vast majority of Radiohead post Kid A boring.  But even then, itís wildly overrated.  Itís mostly the same glitchy crap with falsetto crooning that, while not horrible is pretty average.  Admittedly punctuated by ocassional moments of sheer brilliance that I still mostly donít care for but still have to go daaaaaaaaaamn.  But thatís pretty much the secret. 

90% of Radiohead albums are like ornamental grasses.  Theyíre just there as background to provide some contrast and texture to make the other 10% look good.  Thatís how Radiohead have chosen to play it, and it does create a unique listening experience.  But yeah, reviewers who try to go track by track like theyíre all good and then try to break it down or whatever are idiots.  Their albums are not structured for that type of listening.

Cockney Rebel

• I don't have an accent. You do.
  • Global Moderator
  • City Elder
  • Art is impossible to define. Shitty art is not.
« Reply #267 on: July 30, 2018, 11:03:07 PM »

Their albums are not structured for any kind of listening.
FTFM
Opulence. I has it.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #268 on: July 30, 2018, 11:31:51 PM »

90% of Radiohead albums are like ornamental grasses.  Theyíre just there as background to provide some contrast and texture to make the other 10% look good.  Thatís how Radiohead have chosen to play it, and it does create a unique listening experience.  But yeah, reviewers who try to go track by track like theyíre all good and then try to break it down or whatever are idiots.  Their albums are not structured for that type of listening.
That's your subjective take on it, and my subjective take on it is quite different. I'm not saying that Radiohead is outstanding "track by track". In fact, for me their albums are true albums, as in: not just a collection of songs, but an album listening experience (check: "In Rainbows"). Overall they are one of my favorite bands, dare I call them "mainstream" bands? (Certainly looking at the Billboard charts, they are not.)

But whatever, reasonable people can disagree.

Butter

• City Elder
« Reply #269 on: July 31, 2018, 07:26:42 AM »

CR in the movie thread: Is there no joy in the world anymore?

CR in the Radiohead thread: This band you like is shit.

As Buzzstein used to say (and probably still does somewhere that is not here): Hmmm.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up