Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bogart's reboots  (Read 6548 times)

euro60

• City Elder
Bogart's reboots
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »

From the Enquirer:

Bogart's reboots

Discuss.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
Re: Bogart's reboots
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »

Now if they could only relocate the entire building to a neighborhood where the patrons and musicians would be less afraid of getting shot.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »

A bit hyperbolic, but that's in the work, Kwyj.  Expect to see a major redevelopment of Short Vine in the next year or so.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 11:17:17 AM »

Haven't they been saying that for years though?  I mean, I remember Jason Snell telling me something like that at a Readymaid show... so how long ago was that?  The wheels turn slowly I suppose.

Butter

• Suffering from early-onset douchiness
  • City Elder
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2012, 11:29:27 AM »

That was 27 years ago.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 11:33:58 AM »

Doesn't seem like a day more than 8 or 9.  How time does fly.

cyclone

• City Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 11:45:31 AM »

I give them credit for acting on something that was about a decade-long rumor at this point, but I can't help but think that the "changes" are so minor and long overdue that I doubt it will make much of a significant impact.  Not that the effort is actually a negative thing, of course.  And these changes are pretty different than the last big article that came out on the subject a few years ago ago (there was anongoing WOXY thread about it), where that Porkolab guy actually said that the venue would literally be expanding or whatever it was.  But what I gather from this article is that they simply wanted to clean it up rather than going with a dirty old rock club image, so there are new bathrooms and the staff was told to be friendlier.

There's just so much going against it ... we all know the flaws ... it would be one thing if there wasn't consistently bad sound, but it's also the area, the college student mosh pit crowds every show seems to attract, etc etc.  Theoretically with Southgate and The Mad Hatter going under last year, a revitalization of Bogart's could fill a void that needs to be filled for mid-sized show above the caliber of a MOTR/Mayday, but I also just don't see the booking becoming decent ever again.  They're basically the only venue around (that I know of) that has for years now wielded a full schedule of shows like various WEBN nu-metal acts, Sublime cover bands, etc.  And as far as foolsgold's comment goes regarding a revitalization of Short Vine, I'm very far from an expert on city planning but I'd have to believe that to see it.  I wouldn't say it's really a safety issue, it's just the fact that people are turned off because it kind of seems like the dirty, hopless corner of Clifton, which represents the very worst of a stereotypical "college town" ... you stand in line for a show and get handed multiple flyers for whatever new head shop is opening up down the street, etc.
last.fm/user/cyclone23

Are you immensely pleased.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:25 AM »

My short Vine experience mostly ended in 1998.  I've been back twice during the day and once at night to a show at Bogart's several years ago.  It didn't seem any worse than it did in the 90's.  Is it that bad now?

I saw that OtR made the #1 most dangerous neighborhood on that list.  So, likely that trickles over.  The most annoying part of going to see a show were homeless people begging and being attacked by flyers when you waited for or left a show.

ETA: HAHA, ninja'd on the flyers!
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

Jen

• City Elder
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:31 PM »

I went a few months ago to the Beirut show. That was my first time back at Bogarts since the late 90s ('99 maybe). The place seemed spruced up (I didn't check out the bathrooms because I was afraid to try) and the sound wasn't bad at the back where we were. Wasn't bad in the middle either except for the fact that Ramesh sounded terrible. ;) Not Bogart's fault though. With all of the revitalization of the apartments in that area, I would think Short Vine will slowly fall into line. I didn't feel unsafe going to or coming. *shrug* I am hopeful that this all works out. Not my favorite venue but it could move its way up in my estimation. I actually think I felt safer on Short Vine when we went than when we went to the 9:30 Club to see Elbow back in September.
Every man's work, whether it be literature or music or pictures or architecture or anything else, is always a portrait of himself.
—Samuel Butler

foolsgold

• City Elder
  • To the East...Blackward
    • Teabaggin'
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:29 PM »

The info I got was from my neighbor who is a developer.  Who knows, though, you're right about the rumors.  The Clifton area, though, has undergone a significant effort to improve safety and entertainment/retail/housing options for the UC community.  Short Vine is a cheap, yet untapped market and now that the economy is turning around, it represents big bucks to the right developer with the right plan.

As for Bogarts, I don't go very often these days, primarily because there aren't many bands that play there that are of interest to me.  But, the shows I have attended in the last couple years, I was impressed with the sound quality (especially, as Jen said, in the back.)  I'll always root for Bogarts.  Some of the best nights of my life were spent there (and in and around Short Vine) and I'd love to see them get back to being a well respected venue that books a diversity of talent.
Why there's all these ugly mans on my TV screen?  I wrap my head with foil so I don't catch them beams.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 12:09:57 PM »

I actually think I felt safer on Short Vine when we went than when we went to the 9:30 Club to see Elbow back in September.
Really? Not to get off-topic, but I feel completely the opposite. DC's U Street is so much more "commercialized" that Short Vine, and I never feel unsafe in that whole U Street area. Whereas when I go to Bogart's by myself and I have to park a block or more away, I never stop thinking about my safety. (Not quite the same when I am going with someone else.)

I used to go to Bogart's a LOT back in the days when they played bands I actually cared for. Which nowadays happenes once or twice a year.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 12:11:32 PM by euro60 »
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

twentyshots

• City Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 12:44:44 PM »

The info I got was from my neighbor who is a developer.  Who knows, though, you're right about the rumors.  The Clifton area, though, has undergone a significant effort to improve safety and entertainment/retail/housing options for the UC community.  Short Vine is a cheap, yet untapped market and now that the economy is turning around, it represents big bucks to the right developer with the right plan.

As for Bogarts, I don't go very often these days, primarily because there aren't many bands that play there that are of interest to me.  But, the shows I have attended in the last couple years, I was impressed with the sound quality (especially, as Jen said, in the back.)  I'll always root for Bogarts.  Some of the best nights of my life were spent there (and in and around Short Vine) and I'd love to see them get back to being a well respected venue that books a diversity of talent.

there is a lot going on around them, that is true....i notice it more on the north end by university hospital so hopefully it spreads that way.

i agree, as shitty as that place could be, i had many a fun time there as well.
i did get a kick out of this passage though:

"For fans, the changes are a pleasant surprise. Ian Monk of Northside, 29, went to see Anthrax and Testament earlier this month, his first time at the club since 2008. At that show, he said, his friend’s pens were confiscated from his bag, the bartenders were rude, the beer selection was poor, the drinks were overpriced, the bathrooms were disgusting and the sound was just passable."

last time i was there...maybe 4 years ago...i saw tegan and sara and those asshole bouncers took my pen too! i laughed in that meathead's face!
i guess they had to vent somehow....the only "problem" that night was girls making out with with other....
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 01:51:26 PM by twentyshots »
bongo hard or bongo home

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2012, 02:37:20 PM »

I would conservatively estimate that I've been to Bogart's 50x in my life.  I've never been to the bathroom.  I walked down there a couple times with dates who went, but I've never been myself.  I'd heard from day one they were the worst around.

That said, I am closely related to someone that lost their virginity in those restrooms.  That doesn't seem like a prudent cashing of his v-card to me.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 02:52:10 PM »

as one who drinks alot of beer i've been in that bathroom alot . . . and they never looked this good.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2012, 04:59:12 PM »

I would conservatively estimate that I've been to Bogart's 50x in my life.

According to my nifty concert calendar software/headwear, I've seen shows at Bogart's exactly 93 times. But only rarely in recent years (once in 11, once in 10, zero in 09, twice on 08).

By happenstance I'll be going to Bogart's tomorrow evening. Will be interested in checking out the "febrezed" new digs....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up