Randomville

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
GigaBook.com
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Bogart's reboots  (Read 6789 times)

frizgolf

• City Elder
Re: Bogart's reboots
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2012, 08:49:44 PM »

there is a lot going on around them, that is true....i notice it more on the north end by university hospital so hopefully it spreads that way.
I've seen the surveys. There are some big things planned for the north end of Short Vine.
I think I read somewhere the Kroghetto there is going to be redone too.
We can hope.
What we learn after we know it all is what counts.

crewbilly

• Summer Resident
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2012, 09:29:07 AM »

I so miss In the Wood . . .

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 07:55:39 AM »

The only way this could be successful is if they fired a scud missile at it first.
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 10:45:04 AM »

So I was at Bogart's Saturday evening (for DSO), and I have to say, I was really surprised in the best possible way, from the friendliness of the staff at the door, to the overall appearance inside. This is a remarkable change from just last October when I was there last to see Beirut. It really does feel as if someone pushed a "reset" button at Bogart's. Good for them.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

dirk

• City Elder
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 01:40:55 PM »

This has been the rumour for probably 15 years now at least.  Every time something in that strip mall closes, it's because they are finally getting ready to redo KroGhetto.
1+2+2+1
Gown removed carelessly. Head, less so. - Joss Whedon

mizary

• Tourist
    • Blank Slate Brewing Company
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 04:30:39 PM »

I have to say I don't think short vine is all that dangerous.  Now if you go a couple blocks east (away from UC) and it can get sketchy.  But heck there are alot of students that live in that area.  It can't be that bad.

I think alot of people seem to think the homeless are dangerous.

Crackheads are dangerous.

I've mostly seen homeless and punk rock kids on short vine.  A few blocks away from UC it turns more to crackheads...  But the same is true for the Zoo, eden park, walnut hills, northside...  there are bad areas near good areas.

You have to use common sense...  don't park in a dark alley away from civilization. Don't walk back to your car alone, especially if you are a girl.

With short vine as long as you park less than a block away or on the UC side I don't think it's that bad.

As for a bogarts re-boot...  thank god.  I've hated that place for years.  Maybe they will get some better shows now.

--mizary

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:24 PM »

we go to the library, playground and use to go the the blockbuster's over there all the time and that was with a 2 year old. when i park for bogart's it's two blocks east of bogart's on corry near the 5/3. walking on corry is much better than on vine. less people and just as well lite. if you check out all thye new building that's been going on it's proof that the neighborhood is coming back. now it may just be uc geared projects but it's much better than it was ten years ago.

Kwyjibo

• Bringing Grumpy Back
  • City Elder
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 11:51:03 AM »

I have to say I don't think short vine is all that dangerous.  Now if you go a couple blocks east (away from UC) and it can get sketchy.  But heck there are alot of students that live in that area.  It can't be that bad.

You act like a couple of blocks is miles and miles away.  A couple of blocks is the immediate area in my opinion.  Twice I've been to Bogart's and found out the next day that someone attending the show I was at got mugged ON Short Vine within a couple of blocks, one of the times they were beaten in addition to being robbed.  Last time I was there you had to park at least one block away... and somebody has to park two or more blocks away, there just isn't that much parking.  Granted it's been a few years, but unless they've built a garage I don't know about I can't see how it could be that much different.

Now, I admit freely that I haven't been there in several years, so if the neighborhood is on the mends that's great.  But you can't act like it's that distant of a memory.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 11:53:01 AM by Kwyjibo »
Baby, check this out, I've got something to say.  Man, it's so loud in here.

mizary

• Tourist
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »

I have to say I don't think short vine is all that dangerous.  Now if you go a couple blocks east (away from UC) and it can get sketchy.  But heck there are alot of students that live in that area.  It can't be that bad.

Granted it's been a few years, but unless they've built a garage I don't know about I can't see how it could be that much different.

There is a garage. It's across charleton, but only a few hundred feet from bogarts.  It's been there since the 1990's I parked there when I was in high school and would go to a show.

Also I do agree Bogarts isn't in a great part of town.  While to me it's not a bad area... I do understand young people who live in the burbs and come down might not be used to areas which can be dangerous.

You should always be aware of your surroundings...  If you think the parking spot looks a shady... don't park there.  Park near other people. Lights. Industry. Stores. Traffic.  When walking don't look lost (even if you are). If you see someone sinister ahead move to the other side of the street. If they follow switch back. If they follow again - run towards other people - away from the sinister dude/gal.

NEVER walk down an alley.  And when crossing them always stay a few steps away from the alley and look down it to make sure someone isn't waiting for you.

Just knowing what is going on around you will help alot.  Don't expect people to be nice.  There are lots of sad people out there that would love to take advantage of a "rich" young concert goer.

Also if you are wasted drunk and stumbling down the street you are about 10x more likely to get mugged.

For more tips on staying safe in the big city please read, Mizary's Guide to Beating the Bad Guys, available at finer bookstores nowhere.

--mizary

MissKitty

• Hooray Beer!
  • City Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »

In the late 80's/early 90's I worked for Bogarts' booking agency (Al Porkolab was my boss) and I never felt threatened or afraid on Short Vine. A few years ago however, I got robbed by some junkie tweaker in the parking lot on W. Charlton (less than a block from Bogarts and in broad daylight) and decided that going to shows there just wasn't worth it anymore.

That said, there's a resurgence happening on Short Vine - finally - with that new restaurant accelerator moving in next door to Bogarts, and Zipscene's office has relocated there, and Turophilia is opening soon in the old Subway place - all of which are good for the area and will help lure people back. I hope it works for the city.
Duct tape can't fix stupid.

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 03:22:37 PM »

There is a garage. It's across charleton, but only a few hundred feet from bogarts.  It's been there since the 1990's I parked there when I was in high school and would go to a show.

Which 90's were those?  There wasn't a garage (or even one in progress) when I lived there up until 1998 and I went to a show about 3 days before I moved to Florida.

- Poncho, in case you forget to look left.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

TayFo

• City Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

The garage is part of that little complex on the other side of Vine that had a Kinkos and back in the day a Pizza Hut. It sits off the road about 50 feet so it's not very noticable, but it is/was there.

euro60

• City Elder
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »

That garage has been there for years. I occasionally used to park there (when I was going to Bogarts on a more regular basis--years ago). Whem I went to the show on Saturday, I was able to park on the street lining Kroger's, literally within 100 yards from the venue.
"A blind faith in authority is the worst enemy of truth" - Albert Einstein (1901)

The Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra is one of Cincinnati's underappreciated treasures

Poncho

• ARRR! Booty Pirate
  • City Elder
    • Fark
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 11:08:07 PM »

I've parked in there several times.  It just wasn't there in the 90's.
Your head will collapse and there's nothing in it and you'll ask yourself 'where is my mind'??  - "Where is my Mind?" Pixies

mizary

• Tourist
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

Hmm....  I am pretty sure I parked there in 1993-94..  I can't remember it being built.  I can't imagine it would have been buit in the 2000's as things were dying rapidly on short vine.

Also I wouldn't consider that garage a super safe place to park.  Unless it's a sold out show and the garage is full of cars.  Garages kinda scare me...  too many hidden corners and dark areas.  I prefer to park out in the open.

Another big city tip: if you are walking down a sidewalk and things seem sketchy...  try walking in the middle of the street.  You are more visible.  It going to be more difficult to get dragged off into the dark.  And as a bonus you look a little crazy.  Nobody wants to mug a crazy person. They rarely have cash and usually have a shiv hiding in their sock.

--mizary

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up